Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Last minute changes to 1.680 before release?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author Last minute changes to 1.680 before release?
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-08-23 20:32   
I don't remember seeing these things in the devlog last time I checked, which was just a few days ago.

Quote:
UGTO Changes
- Can now replace their Proton Torpedoes with Flux Torpedoes, which--along with the Flux Wave and Flux Beams--will inflict extra EMP damage when they hit hull.
- EMP Cannons and EMP Mines will inflict immediate system damage, even if armor or shields are still intact.

K'luth Changes
- Can now replace their Antimatter Torpedoes with ELF Torpedoes, which don't do any damage but launch 3 torpedoes at once and require no ammo to operate. Once they hit the target, all energy sucked from the enemy ship is transferred to you!

Flux Torpedoes are a better fit than tracking torps, and ELF torps are a good addition to help with power issues, but EMP cannons/mines doing system damage through armor and shields? Unless it's such a piddly amount that the onboard repair can keep up with it I can't really think of how that would have a positive effect on gameplay if someone in a cannon armed ship can load up with a few EMP cannons and cause system damage to whatever target they want regardless of them having full armor/shields. Even moreso when you factor in the amount of FF that UGTO is known for.

But none of those really had enough time in beta so it may have been a mistake to push the weapon changes out with 1.680 instead of keeping them in beta until the next patch.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-08-23 21:09   
yeah we're always sneaking in undocumented balances to make icc and kluth weaker than ugto.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-23 21:17   
Quote:

On 2012-08-23 21:09, Doran wrote:
yeah we're always sneaking in undocumented balances to make icc and kluth weaker than ugto.

You're so evil Doran.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-08-23 21:51   
Quote:

On 2012-08-23 21:09, Doran wrote:

I'm pointing out that none of those 3 things were in beta long enough to really be tested. My concerns about EMP causing damage through armor/shields is not "wtf ugto bias devs" and was, again, mostly about it not being in beta long enough to really be tested. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered bringing up FF and would just have listed more reasons for that being just a plain bad idea which I'm sure I could've come up with if I'd tried.

Do Flux Torpedoes have high energy use like Flux Cannon and Flux Wave? What is the range, speed, and recharge like? What is the damage and AOE like compared to Proton Torpedoes?

Do ELF Torpedoes use energy to charge since they have no ammo? What is the range, speed, and recharge like? Do they have any amount of AOE?

Does EMP system damage infact do such a piddly amount through armor/shields that onboard repair can keep up with it? Was the damage for EMP mines changed at all to compensate for doing system damage through armor/shields? Is the armor/shield bypass scaled at all to the current % of armor/shields on the arc being damaged or is it a flat amount that bypasses?

None of this info was given and these three changes were put in a very short time before 1.680 moved from beta to release, leaving precious little time for anyone to do any amount of testing.

Not trying to knock you guys about it as the changes look great aside from my concerns about EMP damage bypassing armor/shields, but it really seems like 1.680 should have been delayed for a while, or at the very least these 3 changes left in beta until the next patch.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-08-23 22:01   
We tested them considerably before we made the decision to keep them in.

Based on gameplay in the MV so far, I don't see any reason to go ape about it.

EMP Cannons cause zero damage now, fyi, and only cause system damage.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2012-08-23 22:02 ]

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-24 02:18   
Quote:

On 2012-08-23 22:01, Pantheon wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Brutality on 2012-08-24 02:20 ]

if these EMP's are gonna be ingame, tactically its gonna be suiside to jump anyone equiped with them because they can pretty much disable your ship. When you engaged me in the MV, with just 3 EMP's, you took down pretty much my whole ship and my JD recharge pretty much stopped recharging when I still had shields and armor. Not trying to be biased or anything, its just gonna be frustrating that you can get disabled so easily and its impossible to counter.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-08-24 04:17   
Quote:

On 2012-08-24 02:18, Fatal Brutality wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-08-23 22:01, Pantheon wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Brutality on 2012-08-24 02:20 ]

if these EMP's are gonna be ingame, tactically its gonna be suiside to jump anyone equiped with them because they can pretty much disable your ship. When you engaged me in the MV, with just 3 EMP's, you took down pretty much my whole ship and my JD recharge pretty much stopped recharging when I still had shields and armor. Not trying to be biased or anything, its just gonna be frustrating that you can get disabled so easily and its impossible to counter.

1 on 1, that would be true. But 2 on 1, that EMP ship had better watch his six for the other ship which will probably be slicing him to ribbons.

If what you say is true, I can foresee that EMP ships will be like the Interdictors of old. That is to say, they'll probably become the first ship that are ganked.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-08-24 14:49   
While I can understand why you might be concerned about the new EMP changes, Jim and I did some quite comprehensive testing of them.

Basically, their system damage isn't all that. Yes, you'll take some when you get it, but it'll likely drop just one or two systems only a couple percent. A full EMP cannon BD took 50~ salvos before it could knock the weapons out on a Combat Dread, and it's unlikely you'll get hit that often in real combat especilly with the prevalence of support fields and depots.

Yes, EMP is more dangerous now, but you'll never end up in a situation where you'll completely dead in the water or screwed over by them, unless you do something daft like charge a fleet of full EMP dreads with a scout with no backup.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Princess Luna
Captain

Posted: 2012-08-24 15:31   
Not true, a Lone CMD with all flux trops can cripple a Mandible to the point there's no cloak, Jd, all but one auxa gen is dead. and quite a few weapons are down... so op no?

[ This Message was edited by: Someones Alt on 2012-08-24 15:31 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-08-24 15:46   
Quote:

On 2012-08-24 14:49, Walrus of Apathy wrote:
While I can understand why you might be concerned about the new EMP changes, Jim and I did some quite comprehensive testing of them.

Basically, their system damage isn't all that. Yes, you'll take some when you get it, but it'll likely drop just one or two systems only a couple percent. A full EMP cannon BD took 50~ salvos before it could knock the weapons out on a Combat Dread, and it's unlikely you'll get hit that often in real combat especilly with the prevalence of support fields and depots.

Yes, EMP is more dangerous now, but you'll never end up in a situation where you'll completely dead in the water or screwed over by them, unless you do something daft like charge a fleet of full EMP dreads with a scout with no backup.

only a few hits from the new emp weapods are leaving luth ships disabled

Email Borgie
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-08-24 15:47   
Only EMP cannons go through shields and armor.

All the rest require hits on hull.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-08-24 18:05   
forget i said anything.
[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*CO* on 2012-08-24 18:08 ]

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2012-08-24 19:20   
Didnt flux wave cripple ships like this a long, long time ago?

At first glance these new EMP and flux torps would seem op but i have no idea yet, havent played since release yet

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-08-24 19:31   
Quote:

On 2012-08-24 19:20, Apache |xTc| *XO* wrote:

yes, if you flew an ICC missile dread full of flux waves.
and targeted frigates.
and were a member of [ESF].
and your name was Smokey.
or Peanut.

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-25 13:32   
Quote:

On 2012-08-24 19:31, Doran wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-08-24 19:20, Apache |xTc| *XO* wrote:

yes, if you flew an ICC missile dread full of flux waves.
and targeted frigates.
and were a member of [ESF].
and your name was Smokey.
or Peanut.

OR your name was Feralwulf and you opened a WH into the middle of an enemy fleet with a SS with 11 Flux Waves

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025988 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR