Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Out Of Combat Indicator
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Out Of Combat Indicator
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-07-11 07:18   
Hello everybody.

I would like some player ideas on how best to represent the "Out of Combat" state. Right now in release, you get an extra "ring" drawn around your armor/shield rings on the hud to indicate this.

So, a few questions.

1) Is this acceptable for clarity reasons to you?
2) If it is not, why, and how would you go about making it more visible if you could change it?
2b) The same question as above, but let's limit ourselves to only being able to modify the armor/shield rings.

Again the usual "Just because we're asking doesn't mean it'll get changed" clause applies here, so don't hold it against any of us. I'm just fishing for ideas

jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-07-11 08:06   
ok, i know i havent been on in a while, but i think my opinions still matter.

1. not exactly, i mean you can still see it, but sometimes easy to miss. (again this is out of memory, i havent been on in a few months it might of been changed, something that i missed)

2. explained why in #1 but i will say it again. the ring can sometimes be easy to miss, you can still see it though, but sometimes hard to miss. how to make it more visible/noticeable, well, you can put the 'out of combat' label back up to where it used to be (under that server time and credits).

2b. now to only change the armor/shield rings, you can make them brighter or make the ring on the outside more noticeable, like turning it to orange (first color to pop into my head considering what the armor/shield rings turn), or bright or dark orange (and i dont mean yellow or red, it still has to be considered orange). you can make the outside ring change color according to back round and view angle (lets say the sun is right there and you angle the camera where your ship appears in front of it, the ring will turn black. same thing with space, just the opposite, which is the current color regardless of what your looking at).

im going to say this one more time (i mean if im wrong about something then tell me), i havent been on in a while so i dont know exactly what changes have been made to the game. now yes i have been reading forums and checking the dev log every once in a while (trying to check every day if i remember) so if something changed, i might have missed it. well, thats that, so....umm......bye.

*Neon*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-07-11 08:44   
1- No itis not clear, it's very hard to see.
2- make all armour rings white instead of just a new outer white ring - this will make it a lot clearer
3- see above

[ This Message was edited by: Neon. on 2012-07-11 09:16 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-07-11 09:21   
Quote:

On 2012-07-11 08:44, Neon. wrote:
1- No itis not clear, it's very hard to see.
2- make all armour rings white instead of just a new outer white ring - this will make it a lot clearer
3- see above

[ This Message was edited by: Neon. on 2012-07-11 09:16 ]

I personally really like this idea, as its very, very obvious.

Really what I don't like about the OOC indicator right now is that you have no way to tell how long you have left before you're actually out of combat.

-Ent

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-07-11 09:24   
Faustus disabled my little timer in the top right, so I can't go add another one in. I suggested to Fattierob that we flash the white ring faster and faster until you're out of combat so it stays solid, but that's still rather vague.

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-07-11 09:24   
I miss the OOC timer most of all. We really don't need to know what system we are in.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-07-11 09:42   
To bad we haven't figured out how to Bold those white rings. i guess that would just do the trick.

Anyhow
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 09:24, Persistance wrote:
I miss the OOC timer most of all. We really don't need to know what system we are in.

This was added to make people more aware where they are in the MV. This makes it easyer to tell friends where you actually are.
(Also handy when making a report)

This was added because we had new people saying that they where in 'Orion' server. And you can guess the next, you then still don't have a clue where they are in the server. Constellation Ursa Minor, Rogens Rift, Sagitarius, etc, And Solar System where added just for this.

E.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-07-11 10:18   
1) that ooc ring can be seen but sometimes hard to find. placing it as part of armor/shield HUD is counter-intuitive.

2) make red flashing lights go on when ship is in combat. small red dots on ship surface would be good. when ooc, there would be no dots.
make screen border go flashing red when in-combat, flashing yellow when out-of-combat warning color for enemies.

2b) instead of being located on the outermost armor ring, make each armor ring go white for a half second from innermost to outermost. like https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65684951/armorrings.gif this

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-07-11 11:04   
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 07:18, Fattierob wrote:
I would like some player ideas on how best to represent the "Out of Combat" state. Right now in release, you get an extra "ring" drawn around your armor/shield rings on the hud to indicate this.

1) Is this acceptable for clarity reasons to you?
2) If it is not, why, and how would you go about making it more visible if you could change it?
2b) The same question as above, but let's limit ourselves to only being able to modify the armor/shield rings.

1. No.
  2. There are some times in beta, I see white ring but I can't log into. It creates confusion. And I need to zoom maximum to see that white ring.
  3. Instead of bring the white ring up when the ship is out-of-combat, how about bring the yellow ring up during the combat time? We don't need to know whether we're out of combat; we only need to know if we're in combat. And yellow is easier to detect than white.

Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2012-07-11 11:45   
white ring??

been here 10 yrs and never noticed the ooc until now..

Quote:

JBud:
Collision detection is funny huh? amazing how it can detect a tiny pcannon projectile hitting you, but a whole planet? nothing is there!

Email Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-07-11 12:06   
Make the extra ring green when out of combat.

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2012-07-11 12:47   
Make the rings turn white in order from inside out, while the timer is running... Full white out of combat... This way you get a gauge to how long before your out and it is pretty obvious.

Ray[OU]
Marshal

From: Some where in deep space, From another galaxy. [Origin Unknown]
Posted: 2012-07-11 15:17   
I didnt feel like reading every body post but i have a suggestion...

Make the OOC Ring Blue for instance A clearly visible way to tell if its a more different color one such as blue you dont see much of and can not be confused with anything eles. White is not really a good choice UGTO ships are white some one may get confused. But if it is say Blue it stands out...Pleae not green there is WAYYYYYY!! to much green in DS. I realize ICC shileds ring is blue, but blue was just an example, Use purple or orange or some other really idetifiable color that is not often seen.

On another note i think armor rings color should be changed from Green to something eles (Please not white).

This message was not typed by Ray himself but was contacted by phone and has approved this message.
[ This Message was edited by: SupremeCommander~Ray[OU] on 2012-07-11 15:20 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-07-11 15:34   
I've found the Out Of Combat ring to be adequate, however, if you could break it up into segments that eventually meet together when the timer is up, that could help a bit in giving you an idea of how close it is.

The lines are already a chain of lines and vertices, have the lines rendered according to how close the combat timer is.

When you exit combat, the lines will start spread out, and eventually populate and come together into a full circle.

Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2012-07-11 17:33   
ok after reading some more into this and away to get some sleep..

I've come up with this idea..

During combat, the ooc ring to be a certain color, this would indicate that you was in combat/ being shot at..
(you can all argue over the color later, but for now i'll using red as in combat)

(during cooldown lets just say for mathmatics sake the required cooldown period was 60 seconds, and the cooldown color was yellow, and green was non combat ooc)
Ok cooldown period, after you've fled and begun your cooldown period,
every 15 seconds a ooc arc will change from yellow to green.
so the first 15 seconds the front arc would change color, 15 seconds later one of the side arcs, 15 after that the rear arc, then finally the last 15 the other side arc.

doing this would allow players to monitor thier ooc ring a little more easily rather then the current ring state, as myself have never noticed the ooc ring until today when i saw this thread earlier..

Quote:

JBud:
Collision detection is funny huh? amazing how it can detect a tiny pcannon projectile hitting you, but a whole planet? nothing is there!

Email Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029989 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR