Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » rebuild/balance idea?
 Author rebuild/balance idea?
Gekko-Go
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2012-07-01 23:25   
i had an idea i thought might make the game more interesting.
Reduce the ships down to their base frames (scout, frigate, dessy,dread,station)
each frame comes with a few engines (2,3,3,4,1 respectively), and couple pd lasers, and 2 plates of armor min
at this point, the player can outload his ship based on a point buy system.
ex:
all guns light armor? sure.
armored brute with only fighters, let's see it.
dreadnaught with only pd lasers...whatever floats you boat...
and so on...

as the players ranked up, they would gain access to the frames, as well as more points in the frames. each frame would have a cap, since you can only put so much on one. certain equiment would be limited to certain frames, so scouts couldn't have a wh drive (although that could be interesting...i saw it in a movie once.) certain equipment may also require a certain rank to use.

transports would be the exception. IMO, they should be prebuilt so you can't load a bunch of guns on it. repair bays would need testing, as every ship running a repair bay could make for some long fights (but could be an interesting concept...perhaps pay points into the bay for more repair points?)

the idea is that a player can customize their ship to their hearts content, and find out what works for them. i find myself thinking 'this ship has this, but i don't use it, i'd rather have that' alot

naturally, you could buy more small guns than big guns. the choice becomes qtorp or 4 guns on the bow...

as for pricings....(i play ugto, so that's what i'm basing this on)
an example

frigate frame(100 point max?)
comes with
3 base engines
2pd lasers
2 plates of armor.

i add:
+2 additional engines 10points
heavy chem laser 20points
6 additional armor plates 60 points.
aux reactor 5 points
jump drive 5 points

this is a real rough example

now for something odd...
scout frame (50 points)
comes with
1pd
2 plates of armor
1 engine

i'll add
interdictor 40 points
1 plate...in the back 10 points

the interdictor may be an unlock at a rank. this ship is hightly specialized, and as such suffers for it. i doubt it could maintain the interdictor for long, even with pfe or afe but perhaps long enough for the allies to join in or finish the job.

i believe this would also get people out of the large ships all the time and run more interesting configurations

i think the jump drive should be optional, but recommended. perhaps it is already on the frame by default, and could be pulled off. for more daring players...

one thing i would not want to see is the ability for players to buy more points with credits. i think this could work in conjunction with the current enhancement system.

as for placing your equipment.
armor would remain in the same 4 points, but you could stack it.
guns can be placed anywhere along the exterior of the ship, and the menu would have a drag-and-drop outline of the frame for doing so.
certain equipment would not have a mount point(jd,aux reactors, bays), and would just be displayed...considered mounted in the center of the ship.

the current ships don't have to be scrapped...prebuilt options would allow players to click and go if they wanted to.

feel free to comment.
[ This Message was edited by: Gekko-Go on 2012-07-01 23:30 ]

DS is not dead

Ruuu
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-07-01 23:48   
This system is allready being used but in a differant way, the differance is players cant decide the layout but the points thing is used as a balance guide for Jim (and others) to decide the layouts to uphold balance.
(Staff confirmation plz, only a rough memory)
As for the rest of the idea seems good
[ This Message was edited by: JAZZAMAN [R33] on 2012-07-01 23:50 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-07-02 03:34   

Customizable ship layouts?

No.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-07-02 04:01   
any minute now, someone from staff will say the link SUGGESTIONS on the left side os for this...

and we alrdy had something like this system but the ships produced where all OP. literally every player in darkspace was OP. You'd say that balances eachother out, but apearently not because it was decided that factories on planets producing nice weapons and electronic warfare so that players can costumize ships with it should be removed.

Now we are all nerfed. you'd say that cancels eachother out but appearently not...i wonder..

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-07-02 04:30   
Quote:

On 2012-07-02 04:01, Kamikaze Killerbee wrote:
any minute now, someone from staff will say the link SUGGESTIONS on the left side os for this...

I think were more likely to get

"NO BECAUSE PEOPLE ABUSE THE SYSTEM AND MAKE TOTALY OP SHIPS THAT ONE SHOT EVERYTHING OR PLANETS!"

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-07-02 04:36   
Quote:

On 2012-07-02 04:30, -RogueAvenger- wrote:
Quote:

"NO BECAUSE PEOPLE ABUSE THE SYSTEM AND MAKE TOTALY OP SHIPS THAT ONE SHOT EVERYTHING OR PLANETS!"

Because thats exactly what happens.

I swear I see this at least once a month. Look, if it worked, don't you think we'd love to take all the work of balancing ships and leave it in the hands of players?

And yet it doesn't work for a reason, because players don't care about balance, they just care about winning and "having fun" apparently translated into "lets all find out the most overpowered setup and abuse it mercilessly".

People aren't creative when it comes to this. Nobody makes unique designs, nobody tries out new things, they just pick whatever will kill that other ship the fastest, and thats what everyone else goes with too. Its boring.

And its anything but balanced.

It has not, and likely will not ever work, and the only people who think it was fun are the same people who thought ELF beams draining gadget energy so you couldn't jump was fun too.

-Ent

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-07-02 05:15   
Quote:

On 2012-07-02 04:36, Enterprise wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-07-02 04:30, -RogueAvenger- wrote:
Quote:

Because thats exactly what happens.

I swear I see this at least once a month. Look, if it worked, don't you think we'd love to take all the work of balancing ships and leave it in the hands of players?

And yet it doesn't work for a reason, because players don't care about balance, they just care about winning and "having fun" apparently translated into "lets all find out the most overpowered setup and abuse it mercilessly".

People aren't creative when it comes to this. Nobody makes unique designs, nobody tries out new things, they just pick whatever will kill that other ship the fastest, and thats what everyone else goes with too. Its boring.

And its anything but balanced.

It has not, and likely will not ever work, and the only people who think it was fun are the same people who thought ELF beams draining gadget energy so you couldn't jump was fun too.

-Ent

Bingo. QFT.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-07-02 19:03   
I'm convinced that it would be possible to have balance where players can configure layouts, but only once you've found a way to truly calculate the worth of a certain combination.

Anything that can kill in less than a certain amount of time.
Anything that can kill in one hit.
Heavy aft weaponry should be worth more than heavy forward weaponry.
The stacking of certain weapons should be exponential in worth.
Certain combinations like cannons and missiles, or missiles and torps should have additional layout value.

Also, the playing field makes a big difference.
The way dark space is, there's not really a best option for all occasions, and with the proper balancing factors, a fleet of all-purpose ships would fall short when confronted with an equal team of specialized ships.

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-07-02 19:41   
Quote:

On 2012-07-02 19:03, Fluttershy wrote:
I'm convinced that it would be possible to have balance where players can configure layouts.

What you mean like a system where a ship has a selected role and in combat e.g. a missile boat but has several options on how to outfit it for exsample what armour they chose or what combinations of missiles they use...?

because thats totaly not how it is currently..
[ This Message was edited by: -RogueAvenger- on 2012-07-02 19:47 ]

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-07-02 21:23   
No for reasons given above. Suggestions should be made using the Suggestions link on the menu found above the Development Log.

To give more of a detailed answer - we've tried this in the past and it failed miserably.

Players all used the same ship with the same configuration, and if we nerfed that, they'd all jump to the next ship. We could have made all weapons the exact same, but then that's not fun for anyone at all.

And so we find ourselves in our current system, wherein we allow limited modding in the form of being able to swap out one device type for one of the same, but with different attributes to allow you to modify your play style. This allows us MUCH greater control with balance whilst not allowing the boring cookie cutter crap that plagues many games.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2012-07-02 22:46 ]

Page created in 0.023722 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR