Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Cords
 Author Cords
*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-26 14:44   
i was wondering how the current system is set up.

And how hard would it be to change to a standard cartesian plane (X,Y)

Email *FTL*Soulless
The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-26 15:34   
Think of it as a square split into 4.
At the center of every star(or system which ever)

The center is 0,0,0,0

Have to work out the rest in-game.

I think that's what it is if i remember.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-26 16:31   
I can see why they would have it this way, but in order for it to be visualized properly, we need to have a VISIBLE GRID

Another method could be like "Target is 145*,5600gu from kona"
So basically a radial system that could be visualized much more quickly than the XY.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-26 16:59   
For a moment I thought this was about cords and changing how the servers are wired. Coordinates. Coords. Okay.

I think a more elegant way would be to divide the metaverse map in squares and then have the horizontal axis be A through Z and the vertical axis be 1 through 20.

A-10. You sank my Battle Dreadnought.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-06-26 20:33   

Um yeah. I gotta go with this. I don't know how the coord system works in the game too.

Too many times I've received a message like "I found him! He's at 6.5,-2.1!!"

And I'll be like where the frak is that?? while scrolling about in F2 trying to match coords.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-27 05:24   
Quote:
On 2012-06-26 15:34, The Fridge wrote:
Think of it as a square split into 4.
At the center of every star(or system which ever)
The center is 0,0,0,0

Quote:
On 2012-03-26 17:40, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:
my manual target is named 10.5.8.9 . what does this mean?

It means that target is at coordinates (10.5, 8.9) on the two dimensonal battle plane.

The problem is, when you rotate your camera, you're confused. We need compass in F2.
Besides, when you put your camera on an allied object, the distance on the screen was supposed to be the distance between the object and the target, but it's still the distance between you and the target. It causes frustration when people can't figure out.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-06-27 05:40   
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=servers.php&server_id=32567&zoom_x=0&zoom_z=0&zoom_radius=1050000.00000

there be you people. with coordinates (x,z) set at (0.0,0.0), prepare to meet the centre of the universe - kaus borealis and shewa nebula.
the centre is somewhere near them, possibly above kaus borealis.

edit:- the centre of the entire metaverse seems to be between Kaus Borealis and Tetra.

this means, for me -
the whole metaverse probably has the same origin point (coordinates 0.0,0.0) and calculates coordinates for stuff across all server zones with reference to this 1 origin.

and on note of coordinate grid/finding directions in space, rotate your in-game F2 maps so that
1) tau ceti is towards south (figuratively speaking)
2) epsilon eri is towards east
3) that star in the newbie zone, probably called alasco, is towards north.

[ This Message was edited by: Raje on 2012-06-27 05:59 ]

Silent Threat { Vier }
Marshal
Anarchy's End

Posted: 2012-06-27 18:07   
This problem could be solved if we had a way to set waypoints that others can see not to mention how helpful such a feature could be when planning attacks...

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-06-27 19:29   
Quote:

On 2012-06-27 18:07, Silent Threat { Vier } wrote:
This problem could be solved if we had a way to set waypoints that others can see not to mention how helpful such a feature could be when planning attacks...

Or key a point in space to a key that would target it when you wanted to target it.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-06-27 22:01   
Quote:

On 2012-06-27 05:24, chlorophyll wrote:

The problem is, when you rotate your camera, you're confused. We need compass in F2.

And this is the crux of the problem.

We need some sort of "galactic north" or at least a reference point in space. A grid system works only if you know which direction X and Y are.

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2012-06-27 23:26   
i think once upon a time i suggested something like "command interface". special gui and command feature avalable only to the command class ships.
in this interface player could order ships (players ofcourse) make waypoints to indicate planned paths for the ships, highlight primary, secondary, terciary targets and stuff like that...

to eliminate the possibility of silly commanders, commnad points could be added. how these point should be earned...maybe in the way of 'comanded' kills, supplying, movement...wich would only work if players are in the group with 'commander'.
any deaths would reduce command points of the 'commander'
for example...points would go up if 'commander' successfully organizes assault, defense, or ressuply with minimal casualties, high kills...and points would go down if causualties are high and kill is low

in addition, new command class cruiser could be good, for new commanders. wich could only command cruiser and lower ranked ships. to gain some experience before moving on the big ship commands. this would also make easier to train newbies.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-28 01:28   
Quote:

On 2012-06-27 22:01, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-06-27 05:24, chlorophyll wrote:

And this is the crux of the problem.

We need some sort of "galactic north" or at least a reference point in space. A grid system works only if you know which direction X and Y are.

throw in a grid we be all set too

Email *FTL*Soulless
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-28 03:26   
Quote:

On 2012-06-27 23:26, Ravendark wrote:
i think once upon a time i suggested something like "command interface". special gui and command feature avalable only to the command class ships.
in this interface player could order ships (players ofcourse) make waypoints to indicate planned paths for the ships, highlight primary, secondary, terciary targets and stuff like that...

to eliminate the possibility of silly commanders, commnad points could be added. how these point should be earned...maybe in the way of 'comanded' kills, supplying, movement...wich would only work if players are in the group with 'commander'.
any deaths would reduce command points of the 'commander'
for example...points would go up if 'commander' successfully organizes assault, defense, or ressuply with minimal casualties, high kills...and points would go down if causualties are high and kill is low

in addition, new command class cruiser could be good, for new commanders. wich could only command cruiser and lower ranked ships. to gain some experience before moving on the big ship commands. this would also make easier to train newbies.

instead of a new "currency" why not limit commands/waypoints/... to group-members

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-28 10:26   
because joining groups is rarely a good idea

Page created in 0.027442 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR