No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Pods disappear
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Pods disappear
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-13 12:36   
I use Luth advance carrier and send 10 infs onto a planet. When my ship's moving out, right when the ship sensor no longer sees what's on the planet, all the pods disappear. No inf is sent.

This issue has happened multiple times. You send the inf onto the planet. Whilst the pods are flying, if you go too far for the ship to sensor the planet, the pods are gone. Is it a bug?

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-04-13 14:06   
The squares on a planet can only be seen and targeted if a friendly ship is close enough to highlight them, just like with enemy ships. If they go out of sensor range, they can no longer be targeted.

Since the pods have no sensors, if you move away the squares on the planet will no longer be visible and the pods will have no target, causing them to self-destruct just like missiles and bombs.

To avoid this happening, I believe you can target the central diamond to drop troops and they won't vanish, since everyone can target planets at all times.

[EDIT] Okay, testing shows that the above only applies to actual structures and units, if you target a blank space it should work at any distance.
[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2012-04-13 14:42 ]

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-13 14:23   
Thank you.
I did what you advice (unload troop at planet diamond) but I haven't regconized its usefulness until now.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-04-13 14:33   
Quote:

On 2012-04-13 14:06, Gejaheline wrote:
Since the pods have no sensors, if you move away the squares on the planet will no longer be visible and the pods will have no target, causing them to self-destruct just like missiles and bombs.

This is incorrect. Your client will not display or report nouns it does not have sensory input to.

The fact your drop pod are disapearing could indicate there is a ship in the area that your client is not receiving. This could be down to a few issues, but most commonly it's down to the clients connection quality. If your connection has extremely high latency, or is prone to dropping packets, then you'll need to address that prior to anything else, as we cannot ensure your client is displaying the correct data if it fails to receive the data we attempt to send (also difficult to receive data in the same fassion).

Enabling multi-core can also have adverse affects if your processor processes threads out of order, which is why it's disabled by default.

:edit:

Having just checked your account and seeing your country of origin, I would strongly suggest checking your connection. High ping and high packet drop rate could easily lead to significant sync problems.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2012-04-13 14:34 ]

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-04-13 14:44   
Yeah, I was assuming that empty squares behave exactly like enemy structures; seems like this is not the case as I noted above in my edited post.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-13 15:43   
i have had the same problem, i just thought it was part of how the game supposed to work. If i jump out of range the pods self destruct. short jumping 2-3K will keep them alive, but over 4-5K range the pods disappear. btw i always drop on diamonds of the planet.

i cannot say with 100% certainty that there was no ai around that simply want displayed because of lateny, but im almost certain there wasnt one in all the occaisions the inf didnt make it.

if the pods reach planet surface before your jd brought u over a certain range, the pods can make it. ppl suspected the same range applies to ship capturing.

then again, it could all be just latency and coincidence

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-04-13 17:04   
Ship capture is not affected by distance because your pods have already reached the target by the time you jump out.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-04-13 19:54   
Quote:

On 2012-04-13 14:33, Pantheon wrote:

Having just checked your account and seeing your country of origin...

Back in 'Nam we used to hold the Huey over the LZ until the troops hit the deck running....

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-04-13 20:10 ]

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-14 00:16   
Quote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-13 14:06, Gejaheline wrote:

This is incorrect. Your client will not display or report nouns it does not have sensory input to.

The fact your drop pod are disapearing could indicate there is a ship in the area that your client is not receiving. This could be down to a few issues, but most commonly it's down to the clients connection quality. If your connection has extremely high latency, or is prone to dropping packets, then you'll need to address that prior to anything else, as we cannot ensure your client is displaying the correct data if it fails to receive the data we attempt to send (also difficult to receive data in the same fassion).

did it twice, once in Beta and once in Orion. I could confirm there was no enemy (including AI) around when I unleashed the pods to the target diamond.
It happened to me exactly like Geja described. I insist that I saw the pods flying right before I jumped and I was the only one near the planet. Furiosity is another case.
Quote:
On 2012-04-13 15:43, Furiosity wrote:
i have had the same problem, i just thought it was part of how the game supposed to work. If i jump out of range the pods self destruct. short jumping 2-3K will keep them alive, but over 4-5K range the pods disappear. btw i always drop on diamonds of the planet.

i cannot say with 100% certainty that there was no ai around that simply want displayed because of lateny, but im almost certain there wasnt one in all the occaisions the inf didnt make it.

Quote:
Enabling multi-core can also have adverse affects if your processor processes threads out of order, which is why it's disabled by default.

I have followed the forum. Of course I disable multi-core.
Even DS server encoutered problem with multi-core enable. Hvae you ever considered to remove multi-core?
Quote:
On 2012-04-13 19:54, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:
Having just checked your account and seeing your country of origin...

Back in 'Nam we used to hold the Huey over the LZ until the troops hit the deck running....

Kenny, we are sharing the same oversea broadband line to America, unless your ISP connects to US via Australia!

Speedtest.net:
  • Los Angeles, CA - hosted by DreamHost: Ping 298ms; Down - 257,1kB/s; Up 53,2kB/s
  • Los Angeles, CA - hosted by Emerging Markets: Ping 568ms; Down - 21,9kB/s; Up 17.6kB/s
  • Los Angeles, CA - hosted by Internode: Ping 432ms; Down - 73,4kB/s; Up 22,1kB/s

Pingtest.net:
  • Line quality: D* (MOS 3.87)
  • Ping: 280ms
  • Jittier: 10ms
  • Unable to test pack loss

That's not really bad to connect to something farther than 10000km away!

Does set modem ATM QoS to nrt-VBR help to increase the connection quality?

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-14 04:21   
Quote:

Speedtest.net:
  • Los Angeles, CA - hosted by DreamHost: Ping 298ms; Down - 257,1kB/s; Up 53,2kB/s
  • Los Angeles, CA - hosted by Emerging Markets: Ping 568ms; Down - 21,9kB/s; Up 17.6kB/s
  • Los Angeles, CA - hosted by Internode: Ping 432ms; Down - 73,4kB/s; Up 22,1kB/s

Pingtest.net:
  • Line quality: D* (MOS 3.87)
  • Ping: 280ms
  • Jittier: 10ms
  • Unable to test pack loss

That's not really bad to connect to something farther than 10000km away!

wow thats a rlly rlly low connection speed. how can u even still fly lol?

my pingtest to washington:
126ms, 128ms, 127ms (4ms jitter, line quality B+)

my speedtest.net to washington:
115ms, 5,23 Mbit download, 4,24 Mbit upload
104ms, 7,34 Mbit download, 4,48 Mbit upload
119ms, 7,35 Mbit download, 4,05 Mbit upload

and my connection is deemed "average". some players have it worse, most have it better:). I can only imagine your pain...since i 2 had your connection speeds 2 years ago

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-04-14 08:12   
my average connection speed is even lower than Chlorophyll's (!) but I can generally play perfectly fine; it's the ping and packet loss that are most crucial elements for gaming.

High ping is what causes delays between you trying to do something and it actually happening; packet loss causes, at best, things to jump around madly and at worst causes you to become desynchronised; you'll think the game world looks different to everyone around you.

Back on topic, I think I heard Jack muttering something about things vanishing when you get too far away from them, but he might have been referring to them vanishing from view rather than vanishing completely. Will test it out later.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-15 13:49   
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 04:21, Furiosity wrote:
my pingtest to washington

mirror-server.palestar.com (DS server) is located in Los Angeles, CA. Pick any destined server in LA.
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 04:21, Furiosity wrote:
wow thats a rlly rlly low connection speed. how can u even still fly lol?

and my connection is deemed "average". some players have it worse, most have it better:). I can only imagine your pain...since i 2 had your connection speeds 2 years ago

My connection is the average personal ADSL package. 4012kB/s down, 518kB/s up for $8 USD a month, what more can I ask?

My package travels half of the globe perimater to reach LA... I'm not painful when my internet connection speed result is low. But what you say, likely, woke my own pity!

DS was not the first MMO whose server located in US that I play. I have stayed with DS, because after hearing complaining from my partners at Peer-to-peer MMO that they saw me all around the screen and for my part, I figured my mornitor displayed something had happened at least 5s ago, I decided to quit.

But I have not had any problem with connecting to DS! Connection speed is as perfect as dreaming! The only issue I encoutered was when DS visual had conflict with NVidia and it caused me >30ks latency, but now it's fixed. I can't be happier.
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 08:12, Gejaheline wrote:
my average connection speed is even lower than Chlorophyll's (!) but I can generally play perfectly fine; it's the ping and packet loss that are most crucial elements for gaming.

High ping is what causes delays between you trying to do something and it actually happening; packet loss causes, at best, things to jump around madly and at worst causes you to become desynchronised; you'll think the game world looks different to everyone around you.

I experienced games where desynchronisation was closest buddy. Thus I can tell whether the ping & packet loss is acceptable. So far, nobody has seen my ships flickering in DS. My ping is often below 500ms, and there is no action too crucial to deal with in less than 0,5 second. This is ideal condition to play a MMO!
Quote:
On 2012-04-14 08:12, Gejaheline wrote:
Back on topic, I think I heard Jack muttering something about things vanishing when you get too far away from them, but he might have been referring to them vanishing from view rather than vanishing completely. Will test it out later.

This is what I have done. On the first run, I approached the A planet in a transport, it had B units. I uncloaked, targeted a certain structure then unleashed C1 inf upon it. During the pods were flying, I jumped to the SY (dico down). When orbiting the SY, I checked the unit on the A, it was still B. Later I logged into SY, got C2 inf on the second run, then jumped to A again. This time, I releashed new C inf on the same structure and waited until the inf appeared above and surround it. Then I jumped back to SY. Checking again and there were B + C2 units on the planet.

My conclusion was the C1 inf did not vanish from view, they vanished completely. Please test when on your spare time.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-15 14:29   
oh yeah jitter is 80 ms for LA wow. im getting same as ur connectiion even though i have 30 mbit here in the netherlands:)

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-04-15 15:36   
Quote:

On 2012-04-15 13:49, chlorophyll wrote:

My conclusion was the C1 inf did not vanish from view, they vanished completely. Please test when on your spare time.

Your client doesn't have that structure anymore because it's hidden due to range. Since your target no longer exists, the pods self destruct.

Target a ground position next time and you shouldn't have the same problem.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-04-15 16:29   
the world of ds is brutal indeed. Tens of thousands die every day in ship to ship combat. Hundreds of fighter pilots die. Billions more die due to orbital bombardment and starvation. And now you tell me that my government rigged my odp to self destruct if my mothership looses target data due to range! Is nowhere safe!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020517 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR