No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » beam arrays too powerful against small ships
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author beam arrays too powerful against small ships
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-17 17:04   
Beam array ships can vaporize small ones before the server can even respond to input.

Going fast doesn't matter, you're instantly dead.
Having your fingers on SHIFT+J doesn't matter, you die before the server processes the input.
Redistributing shields doesn't matter, you die before so much as 20% gets rerouted.

I've flown these beam spam ships before and they're most definitely easy mode against anything smaller than them, and if you're a Kluth Siphon, that's 90% of everything that exists.

All I'm asking for is that small ships have a larger window of survival to compensate for server response lag.

You can tell me I'm doing something wrong, but I'm going max speed, spamming shields to the aft, and EJump the very instant I hear the cloaks disengage and it STILL kills me in mid jump when the server finally registers the input.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-03-17 17:04 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-03-17 17:31   
Sounds like it's more your latency to the server that's killing you, not anything else. There's nothing we can do to fix that, and we're not changing the game to compensate for latency (because then those with less latency would still get a benefit).

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-17 18:20   
It comes across as bad game play mechanics if you can go from full health to full dead within the time frame of typical latency values.

IMO dreadnaughts are far too out of bounds with the rest of the ships.
What are they, like 5 times the size of a cruiser?

I've found combat to be pretty fun and balanced between corvettes and cruisers until dreads come on the scene and 1-hit everything smaller than them.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-03-17 19:09   
Call me crazy, but I'm able to jump out, and I play with 150ms, being in England. I'd call that above a typical ping, so I'm not quite sure what you're playing on.

Sheynak
Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-17 19:10   
With a scout at point blank, yes.

A destroyer can jump out pretty easily. Frigates are iffy depending on your connection.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-03-17 19:33   
I have that happen a lot if I'm in a Scout, I'll jump before I even get fired at then die several seconds later while I'm mid-jump. That's the main reason I rarely use Scouts anymore.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-17 21:22   
Right, and all I'm asking for is to have a playing field that isn't completely vertical.

In another game I played, the dreadnaught was only about 5 times the size of a scout, had 5 times the shielding, 3 times the firepower, and 1/4th the speed.

The scout could actually defeat a dread in a few hit-and-run passes, but the dread could put out an overbearing wall of projectiles to discourage them from getting in close.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-17 21:23   
imho, if you stay >10secs in front of a assault-dread, while flying a scout, you deserve to die

most ships able to vaporise smaler ships is seconds with lasers are assault-ships with minor to none weapons facing the sides / rear arcs

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-03-17 21:25   
I have said over and over that it's disheartening to see how difficult it is to survive being attacked by an enemy dreadnought in a scout. There are four main factors:

1: A scout relies on evading enemy fire in order to survive.
2: Large ships like dreadnoughts tend to have large numbers of beam weapons.
3: Beam weapons are both perfectly accurate and powerful.
4: Any ship can close to any given distance using its jumpdrive or cloak, barring things like interdictors.

Since a smaller ship relies on evasion to survive, it has no option but to stay out of a dreadnought's beam range since within that range it cannot possibly evade them. However, since the dreadnought has the option to simply jump directly onto the target, this is impossible barring the use of one's own jumpdrive which typically removes the ship from the battle. In an interdictor field, smaller ships are helpless against this tactic.

This would be less of a problem if smaller ships actually had effective weapons that functioned at a distance (and didn't drain so much energy that the smaller ship has to stop dead in order to fire more than one salvo and thus die, in the case of missile ships). Similarly, beacons are so slow and easily shot down that the best place to fire them from is point-blank, which is rarely a healthy position to be in.

Unfortunately, it's tricky to come up with an elegant solution. I'll have to ponder on this one.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-18 13:19   
Another problem worth mentioning is that the maximum zoom-out on scouts is so short that you're unaware of any point-jumping ships until they fire their weapons or they actually jump straight on top of you.

I found it very cumbersome to keep aware of my surroundings.
The red arrows on the edge of my screen do not give me distance values.
Constantly spinning the view around to be able to see further than 150gu is a pain in the butt.
The view being overridden because I clicked on a target is also disorienting.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-03-18 13:22 ]

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-18 14:34   
i dont know what your on about. corvettes never "instantly die" for me, even luth stations take 2-3 seconds to kill me.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-03-18 15:06   
Sounds to me like you're flying too close to ships that outclass your own. A quick fix is to not do that.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-18 15:11   
look: if u see lotsa yellow light beams heading for your ship, dont wait for your armor/hull status to refresh!!!!! press shift j or make sure ur outa 300 gu range within the next 0,3 seconds.

thats rlly it. once u get hit with lotsa beams, on average on a 30 Mbit connection it takes at least 1 sec for the dmg to update on your screen. When in scout ur armor/shield stops most dmg. once armor/shield is out, its a millisec till u die

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-18 15:12   
Critus provided a good example of the instant kill effect at the memorial today.
I died the instant the beams appeared.

edit: And then another instant kill by Valiant Wolf
Wonderful.
This time nothing even hit the ship, it just exploded.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-03-18 15:39 ]

Oh.
Third time now at the R33 event.
Someone fluxwaves me in one hit.

this is all during the ceasefire btw

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-18 15:43   
It has always been this way play smarter when large ships are around. use ecm, jump, be rdy. Use a ship that uses farther distance from the target till you rank up... Learn how to use the ship large ships are slow... Tune up your computer. hit ctrl.alt.del, how many processes do you have. what do you need?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023167 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR