Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » New Shield Changes (TESTING AHOY)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Shield Changes (TESTING AHOY)
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-18 14:35   
I've made some radical changes to shields. What I did specifically can be seen here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2042421/ShieldTest1.PNG
edit: (Upper two are old values, lower two are new values)
edit2: (Numbers in paranethesis are multiplied by the gadget level which range from 2 to 6/7 from Scout to Dread/S.Dread respectively. Stations are 10 )

In General:
Active shields are more similiar to Standard Armor in terms of raw hp and regen at Station levels and become slightly weaker in the smaller classes. However, unlike standard armor they are resistent to beam weapons but weak to projectiles (except the QST, which is an energy only projectile). Energy usage was reduced while noncharging and increased while charging

Reactive shields got a health buff to bring them in line as a viable option. They also got a regen buff at a cost of requring more energy to do so. These shields are weaker to beams (and QST) but have a resilence to projectiles. These are meant as "Skirmishing" shields.

Aux shields got a health buff to bring them in line as well as costing no energy. You are losing a reactor to get these, they shouldn't cost you more energy as well. Their regen has been increased as well.

PLEASE REMEMBER THESE THINGS BEFORE COMMENTING:
1) These changes are not final
2) These changes are easily revertable
3) These changes are not final
4) These changes are not final

Thank you and comment away (preferably after testing them a bit)
[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob on 2012-02-18 14:59 ]

µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-18 14:55   
yay finally some icc LOVE now we need some new weapons lol j/k

Email µOmniVore
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-02-18 15:02   
i think...

*edited a bit where i misread your chart*

i still think you guys are changing waaay too much for one update. Impossible to test this is.

Quote:

On 2012-02-18 03:10, Defiance{CM7} wrote:
if i may be so bold, I think you guys (devs) are trying to change too many things at once.

- Standard and Ablative Armor HP reduced by 5% and 7.5% respectively.
- All weapon damage (minus missiles and fighters) have had their damage reduced by 10%. Falloff on cannons has not been reduced by 10%, so as a result, UGTO and K'Luth cannons will not be as effective at long ranges.

this skews the balance between ICC and UGTO and Kluth. (skewed != not ballanced) This alone would be a handful to test. but then you add;

- Implemented new cloaking system -- Cloaked ships can no longer be detected with ECM/ECCM pinging, instead cloak energy usage is based on the amount of signature being masked by the cloaking device. Additionally, if the cloaking device is engaged and energy level reaches zero the ship will begin taking internal damage to the device.

- New ECM/ECCM Variants

In this you alter both the intended target of Ewar (Kluth vs humans) as well as how the devices themselfs work.

and then;

Defense Mode: No longer a shield mode - now comes on automatically when the ship is out of combat but without energy penalty.
- Active Shields: 5% hp increase.
- Reactive Shields : 5% regen increase.

- Added out of combat mechanic. Taking or inflicting damage will reset the combat timer to 30 seconds, which will then count down to 0.

When out of combat, the following will occur:
Repairs will be increased by 50%.
Shield regen increased by 400%.
Cloak energy cost decreased by 25%.

This coupled with the ugto armor changes, as well as gauss changes makes for alot of grey area. Things that used to be balanced now may be totaly out of wack.

- AI will now dodge incoming fire.

Now, not even the AI can be used as a controle.

In short, there is no longer a baseline. To compare beta to release is no good. Also there are no base line stats to go on inside of beta. Basicly you changed everything about combat... and you want to test everything at once, rather than changing one thing at a time so you can pinpoint exact causes of imbalance.

All this combined is holding up bug fixes that actualy need to be pushed to live asap;

- A certain elite has lost it's interdictor device. All may be fair in war, but nerf bat beats all

- Fixed issue where the source wormhole wouldn't be created/displayed on the client that initiated the device.

- Interdictor fields have been reverted back to landmark objects from local, meaning all clients will know where one is at all times instead of only when within 5,000 gu of one. This will solve the issues where some clients would jump some way into the fields before being stopped

- Fixed client lag/hitching issues caused by assets getting loaded in the foreground thread.

- Fixed issue with the beam weapons jittering on low-frame rate machines.

- Ship trails are no longer visible past 500 (wish it wer 1000) gu. This was done to stop a exploit.

- Enhancements may be scrapped instead of removed, which costs zero credits but the enhancement is destroyed.

- Fixes to the client asset cache.

...In closing, bug fixes should always take precedence over feature releases... as feature releases always come with more bugs.

Jus trying to help you guys not feel so bogged down.

Also, now icc has shields for x situation and shields for y situation, but no xy situation shields as ugto has xy situation armor (standard), and Kluth has xy situation armor (organic).

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance{CM7} on 2012-02-18 15:29 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-02-18 15:09   
One thing I noticed from just the new tables is Standard Armor has a higher regen rate than Active Shields (142 vs 140). And at first look at just the data it seems like it may be a bad idea to basically turn Active/Reactive into shield versions of Ablative/Reflective armor. I'm going to wait until I've actually had time to go into beta and see for myself how it works before I post anything else though, but unfortunately that won't be until tomorrow at the earliest as tonight is D&D night.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-18 15:10   
It's not impossible to test. Go into beta and compare it to release. I'm not asking for a comparison to the last beta release. I'm asking for a comparison compared to Beta.

I understand a lot of things are changed but many things require changing.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-18 20:07   
Chart says that unless the dread ICC MISSILE ATTACK or K'LUTH MISSILE SPAM (lol) occurs, Reflective Armour is better for UGTO. Curious, that one.

Short of lower HP, off-hand I'd say the Reactive Shielding look superior in all aspects to Active Shielding due to reducing incoming damage by 20% globally. Do frown at Chitinous apparently reducing incoming damage by 50% at a penalty of receiving... 10% more damage from a specific type. Averages seem to indicate K'Luth and UGTO are far better at absorbing damage than ICC, which is an amusing observation.

Chitinous armour was the replacement for repair drone, right? Huh. Might have to give it a whirl sometime.

Eyeballing I like the new changes for the most part, but question the decision to neuter the EMP Weapons (their use had been mainly "anti-ICC Shield" and instead grant that property to the QST, but in-beta balance testing should hopefully point one way or the other.

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-02-18 20:08   
+1 so far frob........maybe a tiny bump in active regen rate, otherwise a big good job....!

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-02-18 21:18   
So anyway, I was there for some time while around 6 of us tested shields, gauss, etc. Not for too long, but long enough(20mins, approximately)

It's looking good, just a couple things I think need a mention:
1. I would say Actives need stable resists(not weaker to anything, but not stronger either). Maybe a 3rd type of shield?
2. Actives also need a higher recharge rate. At this point, they feel like a version of Standard Armor. One reason I joined ICC was that I hated UGTO armor's regen rate. I would say a 50-65% boost in recharge. Even with the auto def mode, it's terrible.
EDIT: Just make them what they were before, and I will be totally happy

Reactives are looking really good, good job on them!

[ This Message was edited by: Persistance on 2012-02-18 21:19 ]

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-18 21:36   
Frob shared a second draft, and I ran some maths on it. Seems in 30-second battles, actives are way better.

I admit to some worry over balance by giving ICC a not-insignificant boost to shield functionality: the new shields would be better at resisting damage all around, in spite of less resistances.
[ This Message was edited by: Gesellschaft on 2012-02-18 21:39 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-18 23:24   
All these numbers are up in the air, and i'm still trying to find a happy balance between regen and energy rate and base hp and resistences and cornflakes

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-18 23:33   
Quote:

On 2012-02-18 23:24, Fattierob wrote:
All these numbers are up in the air, and i'm still trying to find a happy balance between regen and energy rate and base hp and resistences and cornflakes

seems like it will work rather well once the numbers get all figured out. I'd like to see the active shields regen rate in both out of combat and in combat get increased a bit, but reactives seem uber uber fast. Not sure if that needs to get decreased or not. Shield HP might need to get adjusted as well, but I need to do some more testing to confirm it. Good Work so far and I hope I never see Pantheon's dessie ever again

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-18 23:54   
My only thought would be for actives to have a bit higher HP per level. Defense mode was a real asset in combat for larger ships and as its no longer and option and unlike other factions can't take advantage of reloads for a primary defense, ICCs larger ships could use a beefier setup.

Though again, the new Aux shields should go a long way to helping that out too.

-Ent

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-19 00:48   
The Line station should be a monster tank now, if you can mange the energy correctly. In fact, the new numbers should ideally open up more play styles for the icc.

also, out of combat regen for shields is now very very high so i'm not concerned in balancing them, since you're out of combat.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-02-19 01:33   

Interesting changes. This should make ICC a true defensive faction.

Look forward to testing both cloak n shield changes in Beta when
I find time off work. Hopefully somewhere this week.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-02-19 01:56   
Why don't we have an official testing day on the event calendar like has been done before? That way people will know they can hop in beta and more than likely find other people around to do testing with instead of trying to grab someone in the lobby. Sometime during this week maybe?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019947 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR