No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » SOPA/PIPA - Something to think about
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author SOPA/PIPA - Something to think about
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-20 00:18   
Sure there is. The NZ government says "Get bent" and the extradition process gets caught up in all manner of courts. That'll happen in more than one of these cases, I'm sure.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-01-20 00:40   
Quote:

On 2012-01-20 00:18, $yTHe {C?} wrote:
Sure there is. The NZ government says "Get bent" and the extradition process gets caught up in all manner of courts. That'll happen in more than one of these cases, I'm sure.

Easier said than done. The US is still the world's leading economy, not to mention one of the UNSC's 5 permanent members with veto powers. Any country that it deems rogue can be (in a worst case scenario) put under a no-trade blacklist, including its national banks, and that would be the end of its ability to trade with or in America. That is a serious blow to the economy of any nation.

Would any nation want to tangle with that possibility over a few indicted citizens that are potentially guilty of the charges levied against them?

There's prob only 1 or 2 nations on earth that can give the US the bird on that.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-01-20 01:15 ]

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-20 09:21   
I didn't say easy, just possible

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-20 13:44   
Quote:

Joseph Libuszowski, Chicago, Illinois

The larger issue here, is the fact that in the wake of this all, is raises SERIOUS questions and CONCERN over cloud based hosting/providers. While there may have been some users, engaged in questionable practices, the company seemed to be in compliance with DMCA laws as best practical. For instance under complaint 6, it is alleged that there was a single file uploaded pertaining to a Music cd by recording artist 50cent. Ok, so out of pentabytes of data on the indictment that allowed the DOJ and Feds to seize domains/servers and issue arrest warrants all without even a hearing on these matters, was supported by a single issue of what may have been copyright infringement? Furthermore, it goes on to state that since they did not register with the US copyright office as a DMCA agent till 2009, this is more evidence that these individuals were conspiring to commit criminal acts. All of this not withstanding the fact, that the majority of these individuals are NOT US citizens and the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 is an US law, that the company appears to have gone out of it's way to adequately comply with. Don't take this as that I support copyright infringement, on the contrary as an author and publisher, and someone that represents a number of entertainment artists and publishers, I do think that something should be done. But NOT at the peril of creating a dangerous precedent of allowing the Government to act in such a manner that would deprive companies and individuals of basic rights! I just question the whole timing of this, and any Political motivation behind these acts? Or what about the case of Blogetery.com not too long ago, where one post by one user caused 70,000 blogs of journalist, educators, companies and private citizens to go offline http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/blogeterycom-blogs-myster_n_650934.html? I am a little taken back by this whole thing, not because of the fact that some illegal file sharing may have been going on, but rather that hundreds of thousands of legitimate users have now lost their files. This really seems like a miscarriage of Justice, in which legitimate; entertainers, musicians, journalist, companies, lawyers, students and educators and anyone else that uses these types of services, as they were intended for [I.E. to send large files over 5-25mb that would not be able to be transferred via email] are now victims in all of this! And what is to say it cannot happen to other cloud based service(s)?

[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2012-01-20 13:44 ]

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-20 15:24   
Yes except legislation already exists for them to do that and there is nothing in SOPA/PIPA to forcibly remove the content (yes I am aware that the fines/lawsuits basically ensure that the party is financially destroyed so the content gets removed that way). Not to mention no one actually knows if web-based hosting, such as that, will fall into the definition of "website" until a case is actually brought forward.

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-20 17:19   
Quote:

On 2012-01-19 23:17, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
My comments on SOPA would get me banned from this site.

Perhaps....perhaps not. This particular subject even given Palestar's RoC stand against political discussions, affects us all in this community. We do not allow "politicial discussion" here solely (IMO for I speak for myself and not Palestar in this instance) because discussions of politics, religion, race, drugs etc very often can turn one FRIEND against another and we wish to avoid that. We do NOT as a rule and WILL only upon request in most cases Moderate things such as Clan chat, Friends Chat, and even /t chat in game.

Kenny I would say to you, and ALL members of the Darkspace community.

Speak your mind about Sopa/Pipa.... But barring the Political discussion clause in the RoC? PLEASE keep it within the Rules of Conduct.

That said.

It is my opinion that Sopa/Pipa is "dead in the water" in its current form. The House and Senate have both ......BOTH Republican controlled one Democrat controlled the other, put off a vote on it. This is due to US!!! You, me, and everyone else around the worlld who have petitioned, emailed called our congress. Do not get me wrong...Sopa/Pipa WILL pass into law. Just not in it's current form. 1 maybe 2 years from now some form of what we now call Sopa/Pipa will pass into law.

But I believe it will be far different from the grossly inadequate and poorly thought out rubbish that is it's current form.

I may just be an optimist or more likely I'm just drunk (hell I've had 4 beers in the last hour) Regardless, Sopa/Pipa will not pass. PERIOD.

However, I urge you all to moniter the situation, READ! SEARCH! RESEARCH!
For it will come back, most likely not under the "name" Sopa/Pipa but it WILL return.

I'm gonna Quote Draf's original post here.

Sometimes it is simply not worth sacrificing the few freedoms we have for the perceived "greater good."

Sometimes you have to use your voice.

I would submit that some sacrifice is not REALLY a loss. However , MOST importantly! I would correct Draf's statement "Sometimes you have to use your voice" SOMETIMES!!!!!!??????

SOMETIMES!!!???

No Draf. I love you. I am proud to have you here in the USA, I would be honored to have one such as you as a fellow citizen of this country! NO sane person would not! But in this country you can not "Sometimes" use your voice...you MUST always use your voice. Those who do not? LOSE rights they hold dear.

Martin Luther King did NOT 'sometimes' use his voice! He ALWAYS used his voice! And he acomplished great things, perhaps the single most fighter of and for TRUE Freedom this sorry ass world has ever or will ever known.

Sopa/Pipa WILL die in congress. BUT. It WILL return! it WILL rear its ugly head again.

Stay vigilant and ALWAYS use your voice.... it will be heard.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-20 20:55   
Reminds me of the "Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution"..

Anyhow, these suggested laws again strain my thoughts about the seriousness of US politicians. but that would put me outside of ROC bounds.

The Law as it was submitted itself is a major paradox as you can eventually loop war until no Cname or IP is left unbanned. The revised one still has it stupidity maintained but with a buffer of a judge, this would only increase its complexity to analyze the effects of the law and would make it so that reversal would take years, and in the meantime the US economy would become a third nations rival.

As Feral above here said, while our displeasure about the law has currently provided enough protest to that it will not get passed into law this time around. As long as rule 43 can be applied. there will be politicians who will submit law idea's like these and one day something like this will come back. Hopefully it will limit the insanity of everyone sue'ing everyone.

While that has been said i am glad to say i live in the EU where these kind of actions are actually Against the law here. so even If Sopa/Pipa or alike gets passed in the US. i would speculate that it will only create a US internet alike china. (as many have speculated) this would lead to effectifly sensor a media of information and i can't wait untill the class-action lawsuit of the people v/s the country begins.

To top my post of with a quote of my co-worker;
Just pass the darn law. Then england just has to Sue the American language as a pirated version of English! and ban every American website.

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-20 21:16   

the law has been postponed due to over 15 million signing the petition

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2012-01-20 21:27   
Quote:

On 2012-01-20 21:16, Perseverance *TO* wrote:

the law has been postponed due to over 15 million signing the petition

if there was a like button i would like this

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles
Leader of the Exathra Alliance Fleet.

Email Xavier I. Agamemnon   Goto the website of Xavier I. Agamemnon
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-21 14:34   
Yes it was certainly USERS OF THE INTERNET that stopped the bill. Good show, all.

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-29 16:52   
We may have delayed SOPA/PIPA, but now a new law called the
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is now trying to be passed in Europe. They removed the jail term for posting something, but you can be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for possessing a dozen illegally downloaded songs. To top it off, the governments have made the decision making process completely opaque.
an article on the revision of ACTA

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2012-01-29 16:55   
Quote:

On 2012-01-29 16:52, Loyalty *TO* wrote:
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is now trying to be passed in Europe. They removed the jail term for posting something, but you can be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for possessing a dozen illegally downloaded songs. To top it off, the governments have made the decision making process completely opaque.

is it just as bad as sopa?

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-29 16:59   
Quote:

On 2012-01-29 16:55, Agamemnon (//:CO:\\) wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-01-29 16:52, Loyalty *TO* wrote:

is it just as bad as sopa?

It used to be worse, now they tried to water it down a bit. Earlier they were even allowed to track your URL and IP address. Now its SOPA relabelled.

Defence Unit-Alpha_Matrix[48]
Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-29 17:32   
I wish DS had a like button under the comments

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2012-01-29 18:38   
Quote:

On 2012-01-29 17:32, Axeum[Zulu 4] wrote:
I wish DS had a like button under the comments

i allready said that. in this thread

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023982 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR