No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » SOPA/PIPA - Something to think about
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author SOPA/PIPA - Something to think about
-(kha-ti the silent watcher)-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-19 09:43   
HA they won't stop the internet sopa/pipa is and will always be fought against and will be stopped and so i hope we all click on the link up top and do what we can to stop it.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2012-01-19 16:36   
possibly the most disgusting facet of all this is that SOPA/PIPA would lead to the cancellation of projects meant to help democracy activists in countries like China and Syria ("to fight oppressive regimes") because they could be used against the systems SOPA puts in place.

Between this and the NDAA...

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-01-19 17:00   
Interesting to note that I've not seen any counter-arguments here, and very few elsewhere.

Essentially, as far as I understand it SOPA/PIPA will allow anyone to shut down US-based webservers by making a spurious copyright claim. The closed-down site will then need to get their hands on the cash to fight the claim in court, and if they can't they're stuffed.

Note how backwards this is. You're basically guilty until proven innocent.

I don't live in the US, but this would affect me because a lot of the sites I use are hosted in the US. Plus someone might try to shut down most of the DNS servers that actually let me connect to websites in the first place.

Thus, I oppose SOPA and PIPA.

Although on the plus side, if these acts were passed Wikimedia would have a field day shutting down all the important news sites that lift articles from Wikinews without attribution, thanks to the license they're released under.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2012-01-19 17:35   
Actually, to my understanding the legislation would make it possible for the US to blacklist pretty much any website in the world.

Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-19 17:39   
And as far as my knowledge goes, they would be able to prosecute citizens from other countries. Im all for ending piracy, but if I were to be tried, Id want it to be for breaking a law that was made by the legislature which I elected, because I didnt see any ballot boxes at the time of the American Elections, as as such I do not see myself or any other non-US citizen as being answerable to American law, unless I am on American sovereign soil.

Either that or I misunderstand the intricacies of the legislation, and if that is the case then I will be happy to be wrong.

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-19 18:03   
I think the CEO or someone high up in Valve/Steam said something along the lines "that this wouldn't beat piracy, the only way to truly beat piracy would be to offer customers a better service then the pirates."

I think i got that from a "Cynical Brit" video though.

And the CEO hit the bulls-eye with that, at least in my opinion they did.

On another note the US already try and prosecute people from other countries for breaking there laws.
I know there was a case in the UK, where a person broke a US law on the internet and tried to have them extradited to the US.
But in the UK he was free to do this.

Also i hear that the Megaupload staff are being arrested even through there Finnish/new Zealand-ish...
There even arresting and charging the damn graphics guy.
http://rodrigoebr.tumblr.com/post/16126396317/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

And then there's this - http://rt.com/usa/news/hollywood-obama-sopa-support-229/

[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2012-01-19 18:19 ]

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-19 19:13   
5 years in prison if they get you for uploading something.... Michael Jacksons' doctor got a shorter jail term for manslaughter.

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-19 20:10   
answer from Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) regarding the blackoutday
http://www.mpaa.org/resources/c4c3712a-7b9f-4be8-bd70-25527d5dfad8.pdf

---------

edit says:
just found this
http://rodrigoebr.tumblr.com/post/16126396317/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload

and know what? they didnt need the sopa to get these guys
[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2012-01-19 20:21 ]

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-19 23:13   
Sure is a poor understanding of the legislation in here.

I honestly have no idea why this is still news, considering on Monday they removed the provision that would LITERALLY BREAK THE INTERNET.

No one whined (or probably didn't know, because they have absolutely no idea how the Internet works) about that part ("that part" being the bill was going to break a little something called DNS); they just wanted to make sure that their youtubes and hilarious cat photo sites wouldn't be taken down. The bill has been defanged and is going to die a slow death on the floor.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-19 23:16   
Quote:

On 2012-01-19 17:35, Lark of Serenity wrote:
Actually, to my understanding the legislation would make it possible for the US to blacklist pretty much any website in the world.

This is correct, which is why the part about blocking domains (i.e. the part of the bill that is ACTUALLY EXECUTED) was removed.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-01-19 23:17   
My comments on SOPA would get me banned from this site.

But anyway... perhaps it's time for all online content providers and hosting sites to consider moving their hosting sites out of the US. If the US wants to have their own "Great Firewall of China" (not literally), perhaps it's time the rest of the digital world leave them behind.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-01-19 23:18 ]

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-19 23:28   
Quote:

On 2012-01-19 23:17, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
But anyway... perhaps it's time for all online content providers and hosting sites to consider moving their hosting sites out of the US. If the US wants to have their own "Great Firewall of China" (not literally), perhaps it's time the rest of the digital world leave them behind.

Except that doesn't matter, because the definition of foreign and domestic website were so broad that they could shut down whatever they wanted. I mean I realize the "dumb Americans" thing is cool to do on the Internet nowadays, but like-it-or-not a great deal of web revenue is generated in the United States, and would be absolutely disastrous for any US tech start-ups or other sites dependent upon advertising.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-01-19 23:33   
Quote:

On 2012-01-19 23:28, $yTHe {C?} wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-01-19 23:17, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

Except that doesn't matter, because the definition of foreign and domestic website were so broad that they could shut down whatever they wanted. I mean I realize the "dumb Americans" thing is cool to do on the Internet nowadays, but like-it-or-not a great deal of web revenue is generated in the United States, and would be absolutely disastrous for any US tech start-ups or other sites dependent upon advertising.

Makes me glad I don't live in the US right now, though I do access a lot of US content.

The next thing I worry about is the reach of the US courts to actually prosecute non-Americans for whatever perceived crimes they've committed against American IP holders. The Megaupload case is worrying.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-01-19 23:34 ]

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2012-01-19 23:40   
Well then I guess you better live in a country that doesn't cooperate with our Justice Department. The United States cannot just come in and "arrest" people without the cooperation of the sovereign that the alleged crimes take place.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-01-20 00:08   
Quote:

On 2012-01-19 23:40, $yTHe {C?} wrote:

Well then I guess you better live in a country that doesn't cooperate with our Justice Department. The United States cannot just come in and "arrest" people without the cooperation of the sovereign that the alleged crimes take place.

Yep. As the Megaupload example has illustrated.

I wonder if there're any loopholes in the NZ system that those indicted can pull out of the hat the avoid extradition.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021052 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR