No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » SOPA/PIPA - Something to think about
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author SOPA/PIPA - Something to think about
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2012-01-18 08:33   
I know I haven't posted much or been around recently.

Moving to the USA, the land of the free, was a huge step.

My life has changed within the last three years. I met my wife, got married and got a job that actually challenges me on occasion. There just hasn't been the time to spend working on DS that I used to have.

In the last ten years I have seen the world change and terror take root in the heart of the western world.

It has allowed things like the Patriot Act to go unchallenged and be extended. It has made world travel, which was once so easy into a process that makes you feel like a criminal.

Sometimes it is simply not worth sacrificing the few freedoms we have for the perceived "greater good."

Sometimes you have to use your voice.

Imagine if you couldn't play DarkSpace - game to which many volunteers have donated countless hours of time to maintaining and improving. Why? Because someone posted a picture of a kitty. They don't own the picture. It is not actually hosted on Darkspace, although the link is here in the forums.

The problem is, the person that made this picture objects, contact's PaleStar ISP and suddenly the website is shutdown and blacklisted. PaleStar can do nothing about it.

All because one user posted a picture of a cute kitten.

That is what SOPA and Protect IP (PIPA) could mean for the Internet.

That is one freedom I am not willing to give up without a fight, hence this post. I may not be an American citizen. I actually have my doubts about WANTING to be an American citizen when things like this are possible and being actively legislated.

So take some time, and learn about what SOPA and PIPA could mean for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more

[ This Message was edited by: Drafell on 2012-01-18 08:39 ]

Goto the website of Drafell
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-01-18 08:41   

SAY NO! VOTE NO!

Email -Shadowalker-™
Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-18 08:42   
I've heard about this. It''s an extreme knee-jerk reaction. One user uploads something with a clip from a film.... shut down the entire site. It's not the sites fault if a guy is doing that on it (and surely a few clips aren't worth that much)

This poorly thought-out bill would destroy eBay as well, since the law is so vague anything sold on that site could be argued as belonging to a corporation. I'm in Australia, shuddering that the parliament over here will try and pass something like this.
I should stop typing, before I put any more venom into this post.
edit: considering changing my sig to protest.
[ This Message was edited by: Perseverance *TO* on 2012-01-18 08:43 ]

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-18 08:59   
what it does is make the website responsible for what goes on at the website. this way the government saves money they else had to spend finding out who is the bad guy. now the site has to block it on forehand.

saves money, less freedom. automization is the future, although nobody wants it the market system forced ppl to become better and better, now where pushing beyond the limits. In order to become a succesfull economy in the future, the people itself will suffer. this losing the whole point of all things created by man, serving mankind

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-18 09:08   
Furiosity, this won't be more efficient because so much resources will be spent rooting out the evil of adorable kitten pictures. Also a large percentage of our economy is online now. This act would cripple it.
and 15 minute rant by Ghost against it

[ This Message was edited by: Perseverance *TO* on 2012-01-18 09:17 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-18 09:19   
For a day, should have made everyones messages in the lobby be turned into [Censored].

That would have been interesting.

-Ent

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-18 12:38   
I've known about this for a while, it's aimed at websites that knowingly allow or even host links to warez and other illegal things but the way it's worded is way beyond vague and would allow things like the kitten picture example to happen.

It's just another example of why career politicians should no longer be considered members of the human race, they're just too out of touch with anything that actual people are involved in.

johnthedrummer92
Commander

Posted: 2012-01-18 13:59   
in my personal opinion people who probably only use the internet as an online newspaper shouldnt control it at all.
the internet is like the ocean. no ones it per say and a country should be able to protect itself from threats from the unowned ocean and the unowned enternet. but telling a surfer that he cant surf in TX cause there is sharks at virginia beach isnt the right way to handle it. it is the same as saying there is fraud websites so we need to shut down every website that can be used to infringe on copyright and possibly steal even if they have no intention

ugh

mood: raged

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-18 15:55   
Atempts to stop piracy before have often failed. I give you the Pirate Bay, which has been running for years despite several governments trying to shut it down. Also they would just get the insecure pirate sites, ones with countermeasures like VPNS and encryptions would be harder to stop.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-18 16:50   
Some people have to think of new inconvenience to aware community about their efford of getting rid of eatting the bread of idleness.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-18 21:22   
its so big businesses can controll the internet and what people can and cant see

Email *FTL*Soulless
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-01-18 21:46   
BTW, that Picture that i posted, click on it to go to the google petition and sign to say no.

Email -Shadowalker-™
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-18 23:08   
These bills may affect my life although I'm not in USA, as it changes Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Wikipedia.

I bet USA citizen, unless you benefit from these bills, otherwise, vote No on 24th January. Thank you a lot.

Btw, DarkSpace can be in danger too, if the bills are allowed. Please protect our community by encouraging your relatives voting NO with you.

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2012-01-18 23:35   
A bunch of BS trying to be passed. In such a case my sig too would be a no-no, as its screens of material originating from the Sci-Fi God J Michael Strazcynski (or however you spell it), partial ownership by Warnor Bros....or any of a number of oh-so-specials. Though I doubt JMS would cause a stink due to a fan....he shut down a few projects because of The Powers That Be wanted things their way. Can't blame him...in those cases anyway.

However...this Alphabet Soup mess is going just a tad far...

[Then don't say it. Let's keep this about SOPA/PIPA and not start throwing insults across party lines. - Sard]
[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2012-01-19 17:53 ]

NOTE: Edited for content. Rereading it the day after really did sound like a rant.

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-19 06:17   
Quite ironically, Lamar Smith (the person who introduced the bill) would have his website taken down by SOPA/PIPA as his background did not credit the photographer.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022338 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR