No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » BitTorrent
 Author BitTorrent
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-07 11:58   
I prefer HTTP to BT. I download the file from share-hosting site, then I use utorrent to re-locate these files. Of course I make sure the files listed in the Torrent are the same file that I download from share-hosting site. Usually, there is at least a file that isn't 100% qualified by the torrent. Then uTorrent starts downloading the correct parts.

I used to think that uTorrent fix the file to perfectly matched the original when I see 100% my files are correct. However, I find out it doesn't. In facts, it saves the correct parts into a .DAT file in the folder where the torrent creates files. When I delete that .DAT file, utorrent alarms that the file is missing parts again, just like the very beginning.

I know that sharing files over HTTP often leading to package loss. I assume that DS installation mirrors are not exceptional either. Does the corrupted files affect game play? Is there any method to check and fix the files to match the original? There will be an update that BitTorrent involves in Dev Log, what does BitTorrent benefit in this case?
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-01-07 12:01 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-01-07 20:06   
I don't understand anything you said. Could you try stating your question in a slightly more understandable way?

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-01-07 20:45   
This looks like it was run through a translator. So I'll see if I can decipher this...

Quote:

On 2012-01-07 11:58, chlorophyll wrote:
I prefer HTTP to BT. I download the file from share-hosting site, then I use utorrent to re-locate these files. Of course I make sure the files listed in the Torrent are the same file that I download from share-hosting site. Usually, there is at least a file that isn't 100% qualified by the torrent. Then uTorrent starts downloading the correct parts.

I used to think that uTorrent fix the file to perfectly matched the original when I see 100% my files are correct. However, I find out it doesn't. In facts, it saves the correct parts into a .DAT file in the folder where the torrent creates files. When I delete that .DAT file, utorrent alarms that the file is missing parts again, just like the very beginning.

I know that sharing files over HTTP often leading to package loss. I assume that DS installation mirrors are not exceptional either. Does the corrupted files affect game play? Is there any method to check and fix the files to match the original? There will be an update that BitTorrent involves in Dev Log, what does BitTorrent benefit in this case?
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-01-07 12:01 ]

Firstly he's asking about this.
- Add BitTorrent library to lobby for downloading patches.

He also is asking about missing file pieces, from dropped packets. uTorrent should automatically correct this when it checks for missing packets. The way it works, I can't adequately explain, but the way it IDs the data packets allows it to prevent file corruption... or at least thats my understanding of it. It is unlikely for file corruption to be an issue anyway, since the patcher checks the files against the server, and in the case of a bad file, replaces it.

The whole idea of adding BitTorrent to lobby for downloading patches is so that players that are just sitting in the lobby (there are many) can do something useful and basically torrent the latest patch to those that don't have it. This reduces the data useage and load of the DS servers themselves. BitTorrent does not benefit in any way, the program is free, along with its libraries.

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-07 20:49   
Quote:

On 2012-01-07 11:58, chlorophyll wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Perseverance *FCA* on 2012-01-08 02:31 ]

You deleted part of the file? I'm no expert but that sounds like a very bad idea.

To answer the question on when torrent can be better, Torrents are better when lots of people have downloaded the same file. When you download with torrent, you recive the file from many different locations. This is both its plus and minus, if a lot of people have downloaded it its very fast. If the total number of people who downloaded it is something like 3, its incredably slow (i once found a torrent which claimed it would take a year to finish. I cancelled it for obvious reason)
And that was torrent 101...
edit:spelling

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-08 16:34   
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 20:45, Tellaris wrote:
This looks like it was run through a translator.

No I didn't. Blame my English and my literature skills.
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 20:45, Tellaris wrote:
He also is asking about missing file pieces, from dropped packets. uTorrent should automatically correct this when it checks for missing packets. The way it works, I can't adequately explain, but the way it IDs the data packets allows it to prevent file corruption... or at least thats my understanding of it. It is unlikely for file corruption to be an issue anyway, since the patcher checks the files against the server, and in the case of a bad file, replaces it.

I mean, uTorrent does not replace the incorrect pieces. It appears so in the program itself but actually the truth is not what you see. It surely checks the file due to the harsh, md5 or whatever it depends on, but it doesn't rewrite the incorrect parts of the files with the correct one.

In facts, uTorrent leaves the files as they are, it creates a DAT file in the folder that you choose to store the downloading, all the correct pieces you receive when you start the Torrent are written into that DAT. That's why when you think all the files are perfectly matched the original Torrent, you delete that DAT file, uTorrent askes you to recheck the files and you have to re-download the missing pieces as if you never complete the torrent before. I'm not sure about that, that's just my assumption from observing. Maybe I have a not excellent hard drive.

Perhaps you may test by downloading file from HTTP sharing site, especially compressed files, extract to a folder, then re-locate those files with a torrent that has information about the same files.... You'll understand what I mean. That's why I ask about having a torrent to download the game beside the installation mirrors in Download section.

By the way, I appreciate your help Tellaris a lot. I couldn't present thoroughly the idea; by reading your decipher, I eventually develope the whole idea. Hope you can understand my first post, Jack.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-01-08 16:46 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-01-08 16:54   
uTorrent assumes the file pieces are there. It checks the integrety of the piece when it's downloaded into memory, writes it to disk and checks it again. Once it's done that, it is no longer uTorrent's responsibility.

The same would happen for our integration of it (when and if we get around to it). You'd simply download a 'piece', the game client would check this against the one on the server, write it to disk, and check it again.

This means that if a client is sending bad data, we can block them, and if the disk writing is erroring out, we can inform the user. This is how all bit-torrent clients are required to work under the newest bit-torrent specification.

Deleting the pieces will require you to tell your client to scan the data so it can find what pieces are missing. It is not the programs fault you remove the files, as it correctly presumes they are still there until you tell it otherwise.

Page created in 0.012131 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR