No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Crew levels
 Author Crew levels
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-01-06 01:15   

Just popping some thoughts here.

We know that infantry units have experience levels. Green, hardened, veteran, elite. How abt implementing this for your ship crews too?

I know, I know. This isn't a roll based game. It's all abt skills and twitch. But hear me out first....

Your crew will also be rated from green to elite. Their level shd grow not with time. No... they won't level up just by sitting around. They level up through activity. Specifically, what they were supposed to be doing. Supp ship crews will level up the more u supp. Bombers, the more u bomb. Combat, the more u damage other ships. U get what I mean.

So what does levelling do for you? Well, definitely not for combat. After all, u fly the ship, so u, the player/pilot still determine how good you are. Shooting/hitting remains the same.

What crew level determines shd be:
- how fast u repair systems damage
- how fast the hull reps up
- how far away you can detect ships
- how fast u build
- how fast u supply/repair
- how effective your ECM/eccm works

basically crew level determines the efficiency of your ship.

But there's one caveat. Everytime that ship gets destroyed, your crew level reverts to green. So it's in yr best interest to keep that ship intact.

Now, the enemy, when he targets u, shd be able to see yr crew level. Makes things kinda interesting when a CM w a green crew is deciding whether he wants to take on a GA w an elite crew, when they're flying similarly classed ships.

What do u think?

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-06 17:28   
go bolder.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-06 20:01   
I can see people farming AI to level combat and supply crews and not caring about anything else, then throwing a fit because there's luth camping their SY and killing them as they spawn or try to dock.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-01-06 21:18   
Quote:

On 2012-01-06 20:01, Talien wrote:
I can see people farming AI to level combat and supply crews and not caring about anything else, then throwing a fit because there's luth camping their SY and killing them as they spawn or try to dock.

There is that possibility, yes. But farming happens regardless of that. Ppl farm for pres or stats anyway.

Thing is, this might be a motivation not to throw ships away needlessly. Plus, there's always the cool factor of having a 1337 ship.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-06 22:17   
It'd be good for the cool factor for sure, but look how OP certain enhancements can make a ship. Unless crew had such a minimal impact as to not really be worth it aside from bragging rights it could easily be completely game breaking in combination with enh.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-01-06 23:54   
Quote:

On 2012-01-06 22:17, Talien wrote:
It'd be good for the cool factor for sure, but look how OP certain enhancements can make a ship. Unless crew had such a minimal impact as to not really be worth it aside from bragging rights it could easily be completely game breaking in combination with enh.

Right. That's why crew levels shd not affect combat stats.
Avoid damage bonuses, defence bonuses, or anything else that directly impacts ship to ship combat.

Green - 0% bonus; hardened - 5%; vet - 10%; elite - 15 or 20%

stats affected:
- Own systems rep speed
- eccm/ECM effectiveness (range, recharge, sig boost/drop)
- drone build speed
- JD accuracy at exit point

I excluded hull repairs and supply speed because it would affect combat.

As with the command aura suggestion in another thread, crew level shd affect ship
operations, but not skew combat balance.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-01-06 23:55 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-01-07 00:35   
You listed hull repair speed and supply/repair speed so that's what I was going by, but stuff like EW effectiveness, detection range, build speed, WH accuracy, and JD fuel efficiency would be useful.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-10 05:22   
when i read the subject, i thought about something like star trek online:

when you take damage, some of your fellow crew members might get injured crippling your ships abilities

eg a stock dread have (as example) 100 men that work on you ship
to operate normal youll require at least ... lets say 50 men
while you have at least 50, you dint see any difference
once an enemy attack take you below 50, your ship performance will drop
eg guns take longer to reload, repairs take longer, ewar is weaker ... up to a point, where the ship is almost useless

but this "crew-energy" will regenerate and if you flee you could rejoin the battle with a full crew again

additional ideas for this:
- enemy hits have a chance to kill crew-members and theyre lost until restocked from a supply-ship / -station or at a planet
- troops in cargo could be used to refill lost crew members
- enemy boarding-parties have to fight the crew, and the ship is captured once the crew-level reaches 0 and no friendly inf is in cargo

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-02-11 11:38   
Quote:

On 2012-02-10 05:22, NoBoDx wrote:
when i read the subject, i thought about something like star trek online:

when you take damage, some of your fellow crew members might get injured crippling your ships abilities

eg a stock dread have (as example) 100 men that work on you ship
to operate normal youll require at least ... lets say 50 men
while you have at least 50, you dint see any difference
once an enemy attack take you below 50, your ship performance will drop
eg guns take longer to reload, repairs take longer, ewar is weaker ... up to a point, where the ship is almost useless

but this "crew-energy" will regenerate and if you flee you could rejoin the battle with a full crew again

additional ideas for this:
- enemy hits have a chance to kill crew-members and theyre lost until restocked from a supply-ship / -station or at a planet
- troops in cargo could be used to refill lost crew members
- enemy boarding-parties have to fight the crew, and the ship is captured once the crew-level reaches 0 and no friendly inf is in cargo

It's an interesting concept, though a little complex. If this can be worked out, then crew should only be replaced when a ship docks at an SY.

Personally, I just like simple, elegant solutions. That's why I suggest a simple crew experience level that slowly progresses like infantry experience, as long as your ship doesn't die. Once it dies, it resets to green.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-02-11 12:11   
Using mechanics from STO probably wouldn't work out so well since it's a vastly different game, just the fact that it's roll based combat alone makes the two worlds apart in terms of gameplay. Besides, the crew thing was horribly implemented and really sucks, a ship with 500 crew loses them at the same rate as a ship with 4,000 yet 4,000 crew takes 8x as long to regenerate.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-12 13:09   
or what was it called ? "pirates" i think
similar idea

[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2012-02-12 13:12 ]

Page created in 0.018084 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR