No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [suggestion] Make ICC Composite Armor Swappable for Reactive Shielding
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author [suggestion] Make ICC Composite Armor Swappable for Reactive Shielding
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-16 00:30   
Just an idea to make ICC more of shield faction. My idea comes from the layout of the Border Cruiser. Its got all shields and i think its a great ship. I think making the composite armor swapable would give players with more understanding of shield rotation an advantage, while a rather new player can use the Stock composite armor. Just an idea I came up with from the top of my head to make up for the possible loss of defense mode. feel free to critisize.
[ This Message was edited by: Brutality on 2011-11-16 00:42 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 00:35   
You could switch Composite out for Active shields too, right? Since Reactive and Actives can swapped?

I think this would be a good idea. Think of it this way:

If you put more shielding, you're gonna have some energy woes.
If you swap your shielding for armor, you're gonna have a ton of energy to work with.

A player could choose to put all composite armor, except for some shields on the aft or some such. Or they could replace all armor with shields, but they will need to manage them carefully or find themselves in a bad situation.

+1
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-11-16 00:36 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 00:36   
did i miss something?
loss of defense mode ?O_o

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-16 00:41   
Quote:

On 2011-11-16 00:36, NoBoDx wrote:
did i miss something?
loss of defense mode ?O_o

look under shield defense mode bugged towards the end

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 00:42   
Well, maybe not bugged, but it sucks up energy when it's doing absolutely nothing.
Speed at 0... all shields 100%... energy draining...

but you're talking about them removing it completely from in-combat usage, right?
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-11-16 00:44 ]

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-16 01:26   
Quote:

On 2011-11-16 00:42, Fluttershy wrote:
Well, maybe not bugged, but it sucks up energy when it's doing absolutely nothing.
Speed at 0... all shields 100%... energy draining...

but you're talking about them removing it completely from in-combat usage, right?
[ This Message was edited by: Brutality on 2011-11-16 01:28 ]

yes, in my opinon if you config an ICC ship in certain configs, they are very combat effective. swapping armor for shields will allow more shield rotation and more combat endurance

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 01:31   
Composite armor would need to be as equally useful in another manner, though, so that it's not 100% certain that you would swap out all armor for shields.

Do you suppose that the increase in needed energy would make up for having better endurance?

If, say, replacing all the armor on your combat destroyer with shields made it unable to run full speed without draining slowly.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 01:42   
defense-mode was never intended for combat
afaik it was implemented, because shields couldn't be repaired from depots so the can rejoin combat faster

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 01:50   
Well, the problem is that they kinda NEED defense mode to be competitive.

As for the topic at hand, what if we had a 3rd shield type that's like a reactive shield, but cannot be swapped with active shields? It will only be interchangeable with composite armor.
^
This will hopefully offset any unfairness of armor being replaced with the far more durable active shields.

Perhaps we could call them... Deflector shields? Mounted on the ships outer hull rather than an internal system like reactives or actives.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-16 01:53   
Quote:

On 2011-11-16 01:50, Fluttershy wrote:
Well, the problem is that they kinda NEED defense mode to be competitive.

As for the topic at hand, what if we had a 3rd shield type that's like a reactive shield, but cannot be swapped with active shields? It will only be interchangeable with composite armor.
^
This will hopefully offset any unfairness of armor being replaced with the far more durable active shields.

Perhaps we could call them... Deflector shields? Mounted on the ships outer hull rather than an internal system like reactives or actives.

this is exacly what i was going for

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 03:16   
So to avoid any confusion, let's sum it up like this:

Active Shields <---> Reactive Shields
Composite Armor <---> Deflector Array

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-11-16 03:21 ]

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-16 04:19   
Quote:

On 2011-11-16 01:42, NoBoDx wrote:
defense-mode was never intended for combat
afaik it was implemented, because shields couldn't be repaired from depots so the can rejoin combat faster

'pinging' was also not intended to allow you to see stealthed luthies, you want to remove that too and unbalance the game more?

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-16 05:09   
NO! i think we should change the shields for a overload-selfdestruction blast-enhancer. Also all shields have a small chance of destroying the entire ship each repair tick because of the unstable energy field.
Next to that the engines also should have a small chance to explode, raised exponentially when trying to jump.
Next to that, when icc is firing weapons, i think there should be a small chance the whole gun will explode in a thousand pieces due to overpressure.

Also each letter after a free 100 letters typed in the forums have a small chance of making you lose 1000 prestige.
Oh oh, also make it possible to change cannons and beams for tractors, and oh oh, also make it so that tractors can pull ships again, 1 per scout, 2 for frig, 3 for dessie, etc. And make laser beams changable for ecm/eccm slots and oh oh make a gun that has unlimited ammo but lower range and give all factions cloaking devices

Oooh, rainbows and beams of happyness shall rule the metaverse i can tell. And leprechauns will dance with satyrs on the graves of many dead Kluth, while drinking mead and ale, and a centaur playing the violin. No more pirate faction, but a Lord of the Rings themed faction with the riders of the Nazgul, and the raven as the scout class.

Oh oh and then we ditch the ships and the space theme and go fantasy, and make it 3rd persion view. and instead of pres we call it experience and each rank doesnt give u new ships but better damage and defense and such.

hmmm i think that last suggestion was a bit much...but maybe we can implement the rest

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-11-16 06:43   
face it, brutality and fluttershy. there is a reason why most ICC ships have a layer of armor below a layer of shielding.

having only shields, despite how many 'tradeoffs', can get unacceptable at times (combat dread turning faster than a beak or nymph, accelerating 2x as fast as a scout).

a comparison for this situation may be - why do rich (and middle-class) people EVERYWHERE in the world maintain both immovable money (land, house, cars, gold) as well as liquid money (bank balance and cash-at-hand)?
it gives them financial security from all types of hazards, if the global economy fails they got land, and if civil war takes place then they can go to other countries.

from DS perspective, this means that if the enemy has low but constant damaging ability, your shields can stand up to it, and if you are low on energy you can trust your armor for safety. UGTO and K'Luth do not have this flexibility, so they cannot sacrifice energy for defense and rely on doing more damage instead.

face it, one cannot argue or advocate this idea anymore

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-11-16 07:14   
i like this idea.

bugg off ugto

both of you make no sence
[ This Message was edited by: *XO*Defiance{CM7} on 2011-11-16 07:15 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022145 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR