- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +21.2 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » Sanity Check
 Author Sanity Check
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-03 11:27   
Hello.

My name is Fattierob. Some of you my know me by some of my fan fiction works such as Fattierob's Polyonymous neverending fiction or Darkspace Lobby: Repercussions of Evil. Some of you may know me because i'm just that cool of a dude. In any case, I have not come here to extol my virtues of amazingness that all of you already know of. Instead I have come here to issue an ultimatum in regards to the severe quality control issues the fan fiction forum has been experiencing. As I'm sure some of you have noticed, not every post in these forums adheres to the basic tenants of the English language. Some of these posts I have seen that have attempted to use complex devices like "punctuation" and "proper spelling" and "actually using English" seem to fail at a most basic level. I can understand that in these trying economic times it is hard to do even a rudimentary spell check on your paragraph long essay detailing the heroics of your fictional character in his sentence long dénouement against his barely mentioned problem.

However, I believe it is time we pick ourselves up and improve. From this point forward, any pieces of Fan Fiction to be posted in the forums have to adhere to a simple test: If the majority of the people reading it cannot understand it, then the thread is to be locked and the poster to have a proper chewing out. I believe this will encourage those who are underutilizing their talents to refine their efforts before posting again.

Addendum 1: I understand that some people’s main language here is not English, however this is the English forums and it is critical that the language used here is such. If you need help with your grammatical structuring or word usage then there are plenty of places to help you out. Some people around here might even help you.

Addendum 2: All previous articles of fiction from the time of this post are grandfathered in - your horrible crimes upon the English language are spared as a monument to your sin.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-11-03 17:25   
oh god please let me moderate this

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-03 17:38   
ey doe nnot anderstend wat em ey doeing rong ey olwees lijk toe teip alott ov guud storiez end ey doe nat fink it is hart toe riet

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-03 18:00   
For our greater clarity I must ask some questions. This sounds like a rule change. I looked through the RoC - and I am by no means necessarily a reliable source - but I did not see anything specifically banning posts that aren't understandable. If this is going to occur can you please add this to the RoC if it is not already present.

Also, what exactly are the terms going to be for determining whether or not a post passes? The "most players can't read it rule" is quite undefined and could mean multiple things, and may very well cause some controversy down the line. Maybe a simple moderater/developer vote would just be easier and less controversial.

For those who cannot properly write english of no fault of their own and who also don't have the means to learn proper english, is this going to be an exclusion rule that means they can never post again, or will you be considering special cases and possibly helping them correct their post and/or learn how to properly type it themselves? I don't think it is necessarily a good idea to alienate players just because they can't learn english, and doing so will probably not help the reputation of the game.

PS. I'm not trying to detriment the idea; I'm just trying to keep Dark Space/Palestar out of trouble.

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-03 18:17   
I learned to write and read english from books and... writing on the internet. People would correct you if you were wrong, ask for clarification and make you type more, trying to clarify. That's the way you can learn things best: take an interest, force someone to learn without making it a chore.

Besides, the last post of Angel Fox for instance, has an (at least in my opinion) nice discussion about promatter, and some people who think they know better, but are in fact trying to disprove a fiction by pointing out other fiction, however truthful this fiction might be later on. Let him and other write, try and help them understand, but don't come down so hard on them just because YOU are the one who can't understand. If necessary, try and get them to explain it, sentence by sentence.

Same counts for gaming. If you keep killing off the newbs or keep harassing them about bad teamplay if they are on your team, they won't stay. Help them, guide them, and you get a big, competent playerbase. Hell, you could have helped players who become better at it then you! At which point you become the student, and he can teach you how to be better.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-11-03 19:48   
FAR be it from me to white knight for Palestar but they can enforce this in pretty much any way they want and your high school-tier essays will probably do little to deter it. I for one welcome our new Fan Fiction overlord.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2011-11-03 20:52   
Fattie Rob for Overlord!

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-03 21:27   
So I reckon ma perfect southern is offlimits in this here forum. Well if dat don't beat a skunk with a shovel....

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-03 22:33   
Quote:

On 2011-11-03 21:27, Azreal wrote:
So I reckon ma perfect southern is offlimits in this here forum. Well if dat don't beat a skunk with a shovel....

Is it sad that that reminds me of Sandy Cheeks from Spongebob Squarepants more than anything else?

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2011-11-03 22:34 ]

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2011-11-04 01:29   
Oh, he posted this already?

Well, I'll need to go over it soon.

That said, this is likely not a joke, though there is no way in the seven pits of hell that I'll be letting Fattierob steer this by himself. Everyone knows what that leads to.

[ This Message was edited by: Sardaukar on 2011-11-04 01:31 ]

Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2011-11-04 01:31   
Quote:

Also, what exactly are the terms going to be for determining whether or not a post passes?

IMO Common sense would work quite well here.

Page created in 0.021577 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR