Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » just maybe
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author just maybe
Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-26 12:23   
I read from someone that adding some nebulea and astroids could help. And I agree. Right now, anyone entering kaus through a gate is spotted almost immediately by every team. You can't attack a UTGO system without Luth knowing, or the luth system without the UTGO knowing. While I'm all for the ability to backstab the attacking team while they are busy (or better yet, munchkin it, killsteal your way through the defenders, then rip the remainder of the attackers out and steal the planets), but right now anyone knows beforehand who is attacking who. If the jumpgates are hidden by astroids and nebulea, and are more apart from eachother, you have a chance of attacking one team without being jumped upon by the other.

RSM seems to be the only one capable of capturing a system atm. They have the players around to do it. The moment they log off, however, the planets are taken by a lone player.

The map can change however you like it, you could connect the homesystems with jumpgates for all you care. The moment your playerbase reaches 0 again, the opposing team needs one person who just recaptures all.

The standstill isn't because of the layout, the standstill is because of the low playerbase.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-10-26 14:16   
I lol at people who start out their post agreeing with me and end it disagreeing with me.

how on earth do you do that. And why so many? lol

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-10-26 16:38   
A second system in the middle would be nice, I don't remember seeing any Pirate planets in the current MV layout so giving them a system next to Kaus that's also connected to the same systems it is would work.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-10-26 21:44   
Quote:

On 2011-10-25 18:57, xTc *XO2* wrote:

The solution? We need more players.

No kidding.

Which was the DS version that players liked the most?

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-10-26 22:32   

illistration to show you guys what i mean. Then take Kaus and spread out the planets and gates, where when you come into the system, you cannot pick up everything the place has to offer on your hud. (everything not in detectable range)

Thugomatic
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-27 00:46   
Quote:

On 2011-10-26 21:44, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-10-25 18:57, xTc *XO2* wrote:

The solution? We need more players.

No kidding.

Which was the DS version that players liked the most?

Um 1480-82

Seriously though the low playerbase is shocking, we have less players playing now with DS being free than when we had too pay for our rank.
One could suppose that in the old dayz we had freedom too put wat weapons we wanted compared to now where we cant do much of anything.
I personally hate the new planet system, bombing dont mean crap, building dont mean crap, even capping dont mean crap. Gone are the days of actually making a push to the opposings factions homeworld. Besides the complete abscence of one faction its not gonna happen.

On a sidenote how come our newest "better" server cant handle planet def beams or a unified MV. The two older ones could, even the one that waz ran by the hamster could do it, granted it got rough at times but that little sucker handled the job.

In short to the playerbase prob. I think we could do with a lot less AI, there stupid for one, u get next to no prez for killing em and the only thing there mostly used for is too help cap a planet, which in theory killz the whole player teamwork idea.

Im sort of tired at the moment so not a diss in any way but ive seen less than 8 players on 90 percent of the time, even the weekend is lucky to crop up 15 players. Not the DS I remember when it waz so called "Broken".

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-27 01:30   
biggest problem i have seen so far in this map is all the AI seem to be in kaus. This basically leads to massive AI swarm battles, and this gets boring really fast. Just my two cents

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-27 04:23   

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2011-10-27 07:11 ]

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-29 15:21   
With a lack of players, the swarms of AI battles are the only fun thing around.

In fact, there are some players around who use them properly. I don't remember who, but one player send a few AI on me, and attacked me himself. In the meanwhile, he had sent a few AI at a medium range, and several at longer range spaced around. The moment I jumped away, he could still keep track of my global wherabouts, send some other AI to track my exact location after which he jumped after me and killed me.
A good tactical approach, using AI, and a damn well good kill. AI can spicen up the game if you care to use them. It sucks to be at the butt end, but as tactics go, first come is first served. Haven't been able to pull it off myself so far. With a lack of playerbase, AI swarms are almost the only option, I get more quickly bored of duels then attacking AI swarms.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-10-29 18:13   
Im sorry you came so late that this is all DS has to offer you.

It was much MUCH deeper.

anyway, this thread is not about player numbers, or ai, or want of old versions.

Its about a simple change to the map that would make it much more dynamic and fun to play.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-10-31 04:03   
Here's my 100 credits worth of opinions which probably won't matter anyway.

Why ppl are skipping, taking a break, or not picking up on DS?

I don't think game balance has much to do with it. There are other games with worse balancing issues and they have more players. As observed, once the player number ramps up, tactics play a larger role as opposed to individual ship stats which many QQ on about.

Game depth while also impt, is also a minor factor here. Yes, we would like complexity, but the fact is PVP action is what draws an online crowd. And DS has plenty of pew pew when there are plenty of players on. Overcomplexity might actually push players away.

I don't think the maps are the problem either. No matter how the bad the layout is, players will still fight over planets, territories, or just for the pewpew. Planets will still be capped back and forth to establish SYs so everyone can get into the fight sooner.

IMHO, DS needs a revamp in visuals and interface. The recent additions were good. Specular highlighting and other shader effects. It made the game looked more up to date. But there's room for more. Look at games like Black Prophecy. The screenies do wow you, even if the gameplay doesn't. Like it or not, how a game looks may well be more important then how it plays. New models n textures are needed. Higher polies, more details, etc etc. Perhaps the game engine needs an upgrade too.

Next, the interface. I do like the current interface actually. It's uncluttered. But there's always room for improvements, of course (example being beam sweeping). Improvements can also be made to tactical, like a radar overlay, an improved F2 screen, team comms... just to name a few. And of course cosmetics for the GUI. Making your screen look like a control panel on a starship would help.

All in all, it's been a good effort by the devs so far to fix or tweak the games. But I think that going back and forth on balancing issues should come to a temporary halt for now. After all, you can't win them all. Some will applaud, some will QQ, some will curse and swear.

But improvements to game visuals are usually universally liked. And that extends to would be players who look at screenies and gameplay vids on Youtube.

Time to revamp the graphics, anyone?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-10-31 04:05 ]

Princess Celestia
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-31 08:10   
it's quite simple more player's or OR. the team that has the most "player's" on it is useuakky just gona tank around the system. sometimes its luth or UGTO that do it. i also have yet to see a bunch of ICC dreadnought's Pwning every one on the server

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2011-10-31 10:35   
if the devs look at how star wars:empire at war does their planets it may prove to be an improvement for DS. so what if its cpoying an idea from another game, at least when i play that ,the planets have more relevence..

just my 2 creds worth..........

PEACE
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-10-31 10:51   
i jump inbetween galixs and bring a SS thhat can take you far

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles
Leader of the Exathra Alliance Fleet.

Email Xavier I. Agamemnon   Goto the website of Xavier I. Agamemnon
Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-11-01 01:29   
Yes, the graphics do need massive updating. People who are familiar with this style of graphics treat it more of a blast from the past then anything new. Games these days, mostly, look awesome, and DS is simply sub-par in comparison. Lots of people will SAY graphics don't matter, but if you weren't born with the NES, for example, the vast majority won't bother even looking at those games, regardless of how awesome they where, just because of how they look. When you are familiar with the more high end stuff like BF3 for example, or something a bit dated like Bioshock, it still looks way better then DS. People will, and do, skip games over just based on how they look. (There are always notable exceptions, of course, but DS is not one of them)
That, and a good round of advertising is needed. The player base will continue to decline, no matter how awesome the game looks, because almost no one has heard of the damn game, or has seen very little on it.
Simply put, if no one knows you exist, NO ONE WILL SHOP THERE. Its a simple rule of business.

[ This Message was edited by: Tellaris on 2011-11-01 01:31 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026673 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR