No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Beam weapons in 1.672 (need feedback)
 Author Beam weapons in 1.672 (need feedback)
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-02 23:39   
Hello all. Hopefully if Faustus okay's the code change the current way beams are acting in beta will stick. I've changed the beams a bit since the last beta revision and here's what they do now:

-Each beam semi-randomly selects a gadget on the target ship

-Each beam will then "sweep" towards the middle of the ship (the old target of beams) over the length of its effect. This looks about 99% cooler then how beams used to look

If you experience any oddities with this, or have any suggestions on how to make it look cooler, I'd apprecaite it if you posted it in this thread.

(Again, this change won't effect at all how beams do damage.)

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-10-03 01:42   
me in a kluth frig took damage to two arcs at the same time from a MI dread. Even though i was mab only 10 degre turned to the right manuvering away from him at 200gu, 25gu/sec.

Was able to replicate this affect 3 times.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-03 01:47   
Are you sure that the damage just isn't being split between two arcs when it's close to the transition point?

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-10-03 02:37   
while the arc transition point is within line of sight to beam hardpoints when my ship is turned 10 degre to the right or left reletive to the enemies vector, a line drawn from the enemies beam hardpoint converging on my center of mass would have it miss my right or left arc in favor of the rear arc facing it.

because the beam weapon chose to target a gadget on my right, or left flank though, a line drawn from said hardpoint to target passes over my left or right arc thus applying damage there.

This result was replicated 3 times.

Again, dont know yet if this is bad or good. Shrugs.
[ This Message was edited by: *XO*Defiance{CM7} on 2011-10-03 02:39 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-03 09:10   
It shouldn't make much of a difference. you have to realize that beams happen at very close ranges and this issue (of beams hitting more then one arc on edge cases) already happened.

Just to re-iterate:

1) A beam alpha now and a beam alpha then don't have ANY difference in total damage output. Beams are not weaker/stronger because they're hitting a different section of the ship

2) Here is a picture illustrating the difference. Yellow beams are hitting one arc, red beams are hitting another arc. This is relative of a battle at normal beam ranges, with two ships being the same size and one ship having it's diagonal directly facing the enemy ships "mid"

Hopefully the picture will help in the understanding. This is a *very very* edge case where something like this would happen and I don't believe it would effect the "usefulness" of beams at all

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-03 09:20   
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 09:10, Fattierob wrote:
2) Here is a picture illustrating the difference.

I see a frog and "domain un-registered".

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-03 10:22   
Quote:

On 2011-10-03 09:20, chlorophyll wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 09:10, Fattierob wrote:
2) Here is a picture illustrating the difference.

I see a frog and "domain un-registered".

try http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7093/wooe.png

otherwise your imageshack is blocked or somethin'

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-10-03 12:10   
This will not make rotating shields harder. The same edge cases that applied to the original system apply to this one.

The Developer Feedback forum is not for petty squables and whining. If you want to give feedback, you make it constructive, and under no circumstances should you be giving feedback without first testing.

Those who don't abide by the rules of this sub-forum will find their posts deleted.

ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-10-03 21:46   
so basically its just going to look different and effect random gadgets but damage wise it will remain the same as it is now

am I right ?

Email ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom)
*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-03 21:56   
Quote:

On 2011-10-03 12:10, Pantheon wrote:
This will not make rotating shields harder. The same edge cases that applied to the original system apply to this one.

The Developer Feedback forum is not for petty squables and whining. If you want to give feedback, you make it constructive, and under no circumstances should you be giving feedback without first testing.

Those who don't abide by the rules of this sub-forum will find their posts deleted.

some of the people you deleted did test. i for one did and made constructive feedback

Email *FTL*Soulless
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-10-04 03:48   
The beam sweeping is pretty cool, but I think it looks a bit too "neat" the way all of your beams will end up pointing at the centre of the target at the end of the firing duration. For some truly chaotic-looking beam-sweeping, I'd suggest each beam having a random gadget as a start point and a random gadget as an end point, which I suggested before but in completely the wrong thread.

SaturnShadow™ *FC*(Angel Of Darkness)
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-10-05 11:18   
you know what would look good is that when the beams hit the hull is that the beams leave carbon scoring down the side of the ship and have bits of the hull fly off (if it dont take too much CPU) also depending if the ship is moving or not the beams move along the length of the ship so lets say your beams are hitting the fore device, while hitting it (like 5 seconds before it dissapates) it moves toward the back of the ship while leaving like a gash down said side. or lets say it sitting still it justs hits the said device and dont move (unless the ship moves)
also while the ship is moving and the beams are hitting if my idea of the visual gashing effect gets put through add in the effect of while the ship is turning the gash goes up or down depending on which whay it turns

(slightly off topic)
also the targeting for the beams could be used for the cannons torps and missiles and these COULD look AWSOME with the current layout of the beam targeting (ie where ever they start they finish in the middle)
now the visual effect could be used for cannons torps and missiles
where for example the torps when they hit hull make holes in the hull same with the missiles
plasma cannons burns and leaves holes
PSI cannon ripples through the hull (just a visual effect)
cannons leaves holes and dents

this is spur of the moment ideas

again off topic but relavent (for any firearm enthusiastic)
lets say you have a automatic rifle like the M16 set to lets say 5 round burst fire (lets say it does have this setting) aim for one spot in a wall and lets say you hit the very same spot 5 times (think of this as hitting a stationary object) now do the very same thing while moving your sight either left or right and your 5 shot hit in a line going left or right (think of this as hitting a moving object) now think of this all placed into DS now you got a very cool looking effect

Page created in 0.014045 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR