Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » NOT a suggestion
 Author NOT a suggestion
Aaron Lienhardt
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-01 08:24   
hi, not played for a while and i just came to post this

I started playing some game called pirates of the burning sea,good enough game.
Anyway the fighting there is good, but here is the thing:
i was fighting with 2 pirates for a quest, each ship had 3 cannon's eash side (like stronger gauss guns) and 2 swivels each side (like rail's only 2 shots each volley,but fast reload and ok damage), now think of them as advanced frigates, 2 ways to win, either blow up the ship (which is easy but takes time, not like one volley and u r blown to bits) or board the ship and fight the crew (still not easy all the time, and u have to shoot special cannon balls to break the enemy sails, so u can board them easily) and i won but with large damage, remember i said my ship was just like theirs.
So u see,multiple ways to win, but its still fun and challenging.

So imagine ships here had such battles.

Not a suggestion

Yes!!! we got here before the damn luthies!! who wants to celebrate?

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-10-01 08:38   
besides destruction, in ds there is -
boarding (instant win)
crippling ship devices (but its very impermanent, random and insignificant)
trapping enemies (using a interdictor to pin down a fleet)
scaring enemies (using over nine thousand assault dreads to stare enemy at distance)

and really, what else could be there?you either kill the enemy or make him one of your own, or prevent the fight from happening.

what other methods of winning are in your pirate game, alan?

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-01 10:39   
I played that game in beta and after release as well, for about a year. Pre-ordered it and have my sword and parrot from the pre-order.

There really isn't much difference between that game and this except that you have skills and abilities that you aquire based on a menu of them to choose from. This adds to what you are able to do in a battle. The battles are generally slower, because you have to sail to the enemy to engage them. All in all, there aren't many concepts that can be added to this game from that.

The only thing that I find that is really interesting there is the concept of scheduled port battles and how contention works. But again, I don't see how that could really work for a game like DS.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-10-01 15:44   
Quote:

On 2011-10-01 08:38, 4th wrote:
scaring enemies (using over nine thousand assault dreads to stare enemy at distance)

na, you just need a few luth-dread decloaking behind you

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-01 21:22   
Entirely different kind of game (and it's the game I mean when I talk about "Round Table threads"). For one thing, combat is instanced, which is a big enough difference that it's almost incomparable with DS.

The goal of DS used to be planet capping. It now seems to be instant-gratification ship combat: log in, jump into combat, don't bother with anything else. It's to a point where if there's no ship combat going on, people log off. Actually even when there is ship combat, people log off if they're outnumbered and getting spanked (understandable, I don't blame them).

A lot of PotBS players play that game the same way: ship combat only, forget about everything else. I guess in that sense the two games are similar.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-10-03 05:11   

Well that's cos planets don't mean anything beyond spawning points and resupp points. Plus combat makes you the most pres.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-03 13:51   
which is why I greatly prefer scenario where planets are the center of the game and it doesn't play like some FPS-in-space.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-10-03 22:20   
So what you are saying is that you wished in DarkSpace there was a way to incapacitate a ship by, say, landing some sort of fighting unit onto any enemy ship, and then those fighting units (infantry units, if you will) somehow took that ship out of the battle?

If only, Alan star. If only.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-10-04 00:00   
I think he means first person view mode when boarding ships. That only works in PotBS because battles are instanced. Can't compare it to here, it's like apples and oranges. I know at one point a first person view game was planned with DS but that was then and this is now.

Page created in 0.015913 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR