No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » balancing
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author balancing
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-22 05:21   
Quote:

On 2011-09-22 04:33, Phoebuzz wrote:
It's not wishful thinking, it would be easy to make beam weapons dodgeable by small ships without any (or very little) coding change.
Just make beam weapons (CLs & Ds) use the cannon weapon code, this would result in Star Wars style 'lasers'.
Same range, same damage type, same firing time with many 'pulses', same effective cycle time, same overall damage, but with slow enough projectile velocity to give smaller ships a chance to dodge them.

i do somewhat like this idea.. but it has a couple of flaws.

1. PD- targeting computer has a hard time shooting at a destroyer... much less a missile.. try targeting a missile and shooting at it.. see how many shots hit it ( i know they will pass through.. but just try)

2. because targeting computer is so easily shaken, most small ships are immune to large ship fire... although with the sheer number of projectiles increasing on the screen from lasers.. this may be nullified.

I find the hardest projectiles to dodge are PSI cannons... Although they are the easiest to trick. You really have to work at spreading them out because the projectile is so long, its hard to step through them.. The same thing could be applied to lasers, and this could help with pd (larger hitbox on projectile).

While getting into beam range with your idea vs a BD or CD would be .... just.... you would at least be able to maby dodge some of the damage by making hard turns.

How hard would this be to put in guys? Can we get blue, red, green, yellow, gold, tael, and purple lasers?

over all i give this idea a 9/10

Great thinking

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance{CM7} on 2011-09-22 05:25 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-09-22 06:03   
Quote:

It's not wishful thinking, it would be easy to make beam weapons dodgeable by small ships without any (or very little) coding change.
Just make beam weapons (CLs & Ds) use the cannon weapon code, this would result in Star Wars style 'lasers'.
Same range, same damage type, same firing time with many 'pulses', same effective cycle time, same overall damage, but with slow enough projectile velocity to give smaller ships a chance to dodge them.

Pew pew slower-than-light lasers you mean?

The type of laser beams that doesn't travel at the speed of light? The type that I can dodge by rolling my ships over?

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-09-22 06:42   
Quote:

Because you've seen the game and engine code, right?

Right...?

Didn't think so.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-09-22 09:53   
Mmm, there's a bit of a large difference between the way projectiles and beams work...

Projectiles are simulated as objects that move through space and can collide with other objects. Beams are simulated as two points connected by a line, as far as I'm aware. You can't slow beams down so that they can miss or anything because they don't have any kind of velocity.

I suppose you COULD make beams into projectile weapons, but then they wouldn't be beams any more.

The only thing I can think of is giving beams some kind of restricted slew rate, so the beam can't turn fast enough to keep up with faster ships as they whizz past. I'd estimate that it would require a middling-to-large amount of work, though.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-22 15:34   
Quote:

On 2011-09-22 09:53, Gejaheline wrote:
Mmm, there's a bit of a large difference between the way projectiles and beams work...

Projectiles are simulated as objects that move through space and can collide with other objects. Beams are simulated as two points connected by a line, as far as I'm aware. You can't slow beams down so that they can miss or anything because they don't have any kind of velocity.

I suppose you COULD make beams into projectile weapons, but then they wouldn't be beams any more.

The only thing I can think of is giving beams some kind of restricted slew rate, so the beam can't turn fast enough to keep up with faster ships as they whizz past. I'd estimate that it would require a middling-to-large amount of work, though.

going of of that could even make the tracking speed scaled. For example a scout is gonna have a light turret so its gonna track fast, while on the other hand a dread is gonna have a large heavly armored one that would track slower.

Would make small ships more usefull against the luth that uncloak on your or people that point jump in dreads

Email *FTL*Soulless
Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-22 17:53   
All this talk of how to make Dreads useless against smaller ships... meh

I think it's fine the way it is. Small ships SHOULD fear Dreads! It takes work and skill to get to a Dread rank, and they are meant to be massive imposing ships of death.

I don't think small ships should be USELESS against dreads, but they shouldn't be immune to them either.

Small ships should have reason to fear dreads, but still be able to have SOME effect against them... which is basically how it is now.

You SHOULD need groups of small ships to take on a dread. One or two destroyers shouldn't be able to down a dread, which they actually can now in some situations.

I think there are more important things to work on/complain about besides making Dessy vs Dread combat balanced. It shouldn't be balanced... that's the point.

[ This Message was edited by: Whiterin on 2011-09-22 17:56 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.011804 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR