No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » capturing
 Author capturing
Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-19 13:13   
I'm rather new to the game, but there are several things that I would think increase the game, mainly capturing

First, the pirates. They are notorious during the game for stealing ships, and while I've seen them do well coördinated attacks on planets to capture them, I've yet to see one try and capture a ship.
So you could add something similar to the AI trying to capture planets. When a lone ship is spotted by a pirate, there is a chance that 2 pirate ships will warp in soon after. These will harry the lone ship for 1 minute, then a transport (or if speed and armour might be a problem, a fast scout with a large cargobay) warps in and try's to capture the ship, maybe with the first ships dropping their own troopers.
To prevent free kills for everybody, your ship strength will be accounted for. A dreadnought will be a less likely target, so there is less chance pirates warp in and try to capture you, if they do however, then the ships warping in to harry and capture it will be strong enough to at least hold out untill the troopers land on top of him.

That way, you would have a far more realistic approach to pirates, who are the whole reason why for instance the ICC was created.

Further, it has irked me that you don't have any control at all over ships you captured, unless they are less then your rank.
Why this has his pluspoints as you can't order too powerfull ships around (the first 2 ships I've captured were both MI Longheads I captured more or less by accident), it does seem a bit odd that the infantry you ordered immidiately get a higher rank then you.
So instead, you get a limited control over ships you've captured. You can order them towards a system, but not what they do in that system. When they arrive in the system, they might actually just leave immidiately if the AI desides to.

What would be more fun, is to add bonuses to capturing a ship. It's difficult to capture one, and should be. But besides another AI controlled cannonfodder ship, a greater bonus should be given.
For instance, bonuses to capturing and ordering all scout class ships of the UTGO towards a shipyard (where they will be disbanded if you manage to do so) should give you personally a bonus. maybe an enhancement, or the capability to upgrade some of your weapons to a slightly better version (railgun 1.2, scanner 1.2 which raise UTGO ships' signature 2 points higher then others or something).

Some bonuses could be more build-oriënted. Capturing several ICC ships allows the planet you brought them towards to build a shieldgenerator (dismantle the ships and use the generators). Allowing dedicated buccaneers to enhance the defence of their home planets.

Other additions could be that if you catch 5 ships of the same type and return them to a shipyard, any infantry you drop on top of that type of ship will count as a level higher. So dropping veteran infantry on top of a ship you returned 5 times will count as hardened infantry upon entering. Capturing 5 k'luth scouts will not count towards UTGO scouts, and so on.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-09-19 13:34   
Everything you request would put considerable strain onto the server. AI is usually the largest performance hit on most modern MMO's alongside update ticks. DarkSpace is no stranger to this, and most of the time when the action gets hot, the AI will slowly start to dumb down and not update as regularly so that more performance can be spent on the important things.

What you're requesting is for the AI to ignore this, and be even more active than they already are. Unfortunately, due to the nature of AI, they will never be as intelligent as you want them to be, and this is a fact that everyone who works with AI must come to realise.

Having said all that, Faustus (lead programmer and owner of DarkSpace) is currently working on a way to intergrate much more powerful AI into the game without getting a performance hit, it should be far more intelligent than what we have now, but don't expect skynet levels of intelligence.

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-19 14:58   
Quote:

On 2011-09-19 13:34, Pantheon wrote:
but don't expect skynet levels of intelligence.

We wouldnt want the machines rueling would we ?...
[ This Message was edited by: RogueAvenger10 on 2011-09-20 01:57 ]

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-19 18:10   
Quote:

On 2011-09-19 14:58, RogueAvenger10 wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-09-19 13:34, Pantheon wrote:
but don't expect skynet levels of intelligence.

We wouldnt want he machines rueling would we ?...

....than we would need to find John Connor....

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2011-09-20 02:03   
and we all know that to find john connor we need to first find a horrible actor....

wait, i bet DS is full of those

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-20 14:04   
I can see what you mean. However, is it really that much more taxing compared to the AI actively sending several bombers and transport haulers towards a planet, where they will select and engage a target on the surface or around the planet? If it is, scratch this idea.

if you want to survive skynet, become an australian, skynet seems to like their accent at least

Subtilizer
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-20 14:11   
No the only way to fight skynet is to maniplulate it into creating the matrix so we can use keanu reeves to take down the machines. How will this work i dont know , is mixing terminator and the matrix cool , HELL YEAH!

Page created in 0.017937 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR