No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Giving Orders Ingame
 Author Giving Orders Ingame
Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-02 07:00   
Yesterday I noticed ingame the only way to issue orders to another player or npc requires you to be on the navigation screen (F2). Seeing as how the controls have changed there are no longer hotkeys to issue orders from the helm, and right clicking simply places your ship on follow mode towards the target. In the middle of battle this leads to constant back and forth to the navigational screen in some cases can be annoying. Especially if that ship is right behind you awaiting those new orders.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-02 08:33   
DarkSpace Manual [SHOW INDEX][DOCUMENT INDEX]

5.5.4 Orders
Orders are a sub-set of the context system.

Players can issue an order by targeting a friendly player or AI-controlled ship, and hovering the mouse cursor over another object. Depending on the object under the cursor, ships can be ordered to Move/Go To, Attack, or Defend.

However, players can only issue orders to ships of an equal or lower rank. For AI-controlled ships, they have rank equivalent to what's needed to fly that ship.
This means that to send an order to an AI Assault Cruiser, a player would need to be Vice Admiral rank or higher, and a Captain will be unable to issue orders to an Admiral.

Additionally, orders may only be issued while in the Navigation or Engineering/Planet screens.

the last sentence is interresting for this question

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-02 08:51   
I agree. It is annoying giving orders to AI.

Would be better if that aspect was completely disabled, and AI pathed to fight or defend themselves w/o player involvement.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Olbaid
Admiral

Posted: 2011-09-02 09:28   
would it be possible to add a toggle key to one of the f8-f12 keys that would set your coursor to 'order' mode then be toggled back off in order to use mouse normally...?

((...If Knowledge is Power...

...and Power Corrupts...

...Study hard and be Evil...))

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-09-02 10:11   
also say if a CM gives a order to a ship, another CM can't change that ships orders.

Email Borgie
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-02 10:31   
the higher cm cant be over ridden, from what I have seen. I could be wrong tho.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-02 16:02   
I've been around a while, I know you can't simply override someone else's command especially if they are higher ranked. I'm talking about you are unable to issue orders from the HELM.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-02 18:30   
The ability to give orders while flying was originally implemented, but was taken out for some reason. Maybe it was because orders would accidentally be given to other players with accidental right clicks. Maybe it was because people kept jumping themselves into planets. I really don't remember, but at the time I agreed with it so I'm sure one of the devs or whomever can explain better.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-09-04 14:56   
It was remove from the "Tactical" screen because of conflicts with the context commands, imagine you had a friendly as your target, then right clicking on a planet would order them to attack it would conflict with right clicking on a planet giving your own ship the attack action.

So the decision was made to separate them, so orders are always given on the navigation screen, and contextual commands for your own ship always happen on the tactical screen.

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-04 22:23   
Quote:

On 2011-09-04 14:56, Faustus wrote:
It was remove from the "Tactical" screen because of conflicts with the context commands, imagine you had a friendly as your target, then right clicking on a planet would order them to attack it would conflict with right clicking on a planet giving your own ship the attack action.

So the decision was made to separate them, so orders are always given on the navigation screen, and contextual commands for your own ship always happen on the tactical screen.

-F

That makes sense, thanks for explaining

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-09-06 05:19   
Quote:

On 2011-09-04 14:56, Faustus wrote:

-F

why not give AI one more brain cell? making them figure it out that attacking friendly is bad, bad bad thing

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-09-06 06:21   
Quote:

On 2011-09-06 05:19, Ravendark wrote:

why not give AI one more brain cell? making them figure it out that attacking friendly is bad, bad bad thing

well, they do eventually realise that, but until then they go towards the planet, even if its on the other side of the server.

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-09-06 13:53   
Quote:

Because AI ain't afraid of FF, and they won't be banned.
Obviously, I know directing AI to FF is clearly a crime. I wonder if Mod can trace who gave order.
Since Fautus is going to making AI smarter, I have 2 suggestions:
1/ Disable Order - Let AI do on their will.
2/ Improve Order - Let player control captured ship (in case 1/ is unacceptable).
I vote for 1 cause I think that when you can't forcefuly command other players, how could you control NPC?

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-09-07 00:26   
Quote:

On 2011-09-06 13:53, chlorophyll wrote:
Quote:

Because AI ain't afraid of FF, and they won't be banned.
Obviously, I know directing AI to FF is clearly a crime. I wonder if Mod can trace who gave order.
Since Fautus is going to making AI smarter, I have 2 suggestions:
1/ Disable Order - Let AI do on their will.
2/ Improve Order - Let player control captured ship (in case 1/ is unacceptable).
I vote for 1 cause I think that when you can't forcefuly command other players, how could you control NPC?

I agree with this.

spamming ai to defend oneself is to abuseable. in my books its up there among the old depot spam and needs to be fixed imo. Make all ai uncontrollable, with the exception of ai supply ships

Page created in 0.035342 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR