No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Make ships move slower
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Make ships move slower
MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-08-06 18:46   
Right now, destroyers turn like speedboats instead of 300 meter long warships. The 1.5 km long dreadnaughts are a bit to agile for 1.5km long dreadnaughts. What about making ships in general turn and accelerate slower? This would make the game more tactical becaues you whould have to pre think you're movements, although projectile speed might have to be slowed down. And it would make dreadnaught battles look cooler.

The Stig
1st Rear Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-08-06 19:07   
what do u want? 30 second u turns?

I use a gunboat. A lot. Best i can get right now. It sure as hell isn't turning on a dime. I get out turned by cruisers up close....

MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-08-06 19:10   
Destroyers turn extremely fast. So do most the ships in the game, except the station, which imo shouldn't move at all. This makes you have to think out everything you do, so point jumping without support will kill you.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-08-06 19:10   
All this would do is make it easier for luth to ambush people.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-08-06 19:18   
Quote:

On 2011-08-06 19:10, darksmaster923 (3IC) wrote:
Destroyers turn extremely fast. So do most the ships in the game, except the station, which imo shouldn't move at all. This makes you have to think out everything you do, so point jumping without support will kill you.

dark this is space your talking about it not like water where it taks 15 min to turn around. have you ever sean i spaceship in any show take that long to turn? i havent.

Xavier I. Agamemnon
CD/I.C.S Spartacus
HC/I.C.S Athena
CDD/I.C.S Achilles
Leader of the Exathra Alliance Fleet.

Email Xavier I. Agamemnon   Goto the website of Xavier I. Agamemnon
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-08-06 19:18   
Simply set DarkSpace to the highest graphical settings possible, run a few background programs. With some luck, you'll achieve 10 FPS and everything will be slower.

You're welcome.

Rebels
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-06 19:27   
Quote:

On 2011-08-06 19:18, Gesellschaft wrote:
Simply set DarkSpace to the highest graphical settings possible, run a few background programs. With some luck, you'll achieve 10 FPS and everything will be slower.

You're welcome.

i'd do what u say

*MI Node jumps out of nowhere death beams america*

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-08-06 19:34   
if you want realistic space travel everything would be a thousand times more complicated than make things turn slower. If anything ships would be able to change the direction they face even faster and then would have to accelerate in a new direction while also canceling out the old velocity vector. also ships wouldnt have a tops speed. they would just keep going faster until they run out of fuel, began aproaching light speed and disintegrated or smashed into something. everyone would exit their jumps facing the oposite direction they started in because they would have to use their main engines to slow down.

But if you want to make it easier for me to uncloak on your tail and watch you struggle to move into any kind of fighting position go ahead.

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-06 20:53   
god i miss the good old "afterburner+engine-shutdown"-move from freelancer

Aaron Lienhardt
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-06 21:10   
scouts, destroyers and some cruisers are supposed to be fast and agile.
you dont expect a scout to go 10 speed maximum and do 360 in 30 second dont u?

Yes!!! we got here before the damn luthies!! who wants to celebrate?

The Stig
1st Rear Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-08-06 21:15   
Quote:

On 2011-08-06 19:34, Scorched Soul[+R] wrote:
Words...

But if you want to make it easier for me to uncloak on your tail and watch you struggle to move into any kind of fighting position go ahead.

Looking forward to this. I've yet to be impressed by a luth who thought being on my tail was a kill. So far only once have I been gotten like that, and it was in an enemy dictor field.

There's more to getting in the rear of a ship than turn rate, and other ways to avoid having an enemy stay on your six. Turning isn't the be all end all.

And....is that manuvering enhancements I see? Hmmmmmmm......and thrust enhancements too....?

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-08-06 21:27   
you clearly did not think this through.

All ships turning slower would greatly increase accuracy of all weapons in the game.

Buh buyh annoying Dessy

Dread space condition grows.

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-08-06 21:57   
Quote:

On 2011-08-06 21:15, The Stig wrote:
Quote:

Words...

Looking forward to this. I've yet to be impressed by a luth who thought being on my tail was a kill. So far only once have I been gotten like that, and it was in an enemy dictor field.

There's more to getting in the rear of a ship than turn rate, and other ways to avoid having an enemy stay on your six. Turning isn't the be all end all.

And....is that manuvering enhancements I see? Hmmmmmmm......and thrust enhancements too....?

if I uncloak directly behind you going the same speed as you and all of the sudden it takes you longer to make any kind of adjustment to your relative postition such as turning accelerating or decelerating im pretty sure it would get easier to stay behind you for longer not harder.

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-08-07 00:58   
Quote:

On 2011-08-06 21:15, The Stig wrote:
Quote:

Words...

No there's more to it.

I take into consideration things like the situation and my assumption of your attention span.

If you're being pursued and shot at by enemies from a particular direction. I'll try to intercept you from the other direction. And the best shots to me, have always been the ones when you're passing by me perpendicularly. I can start shooting as you're approaching and keep it up till you're past me.

Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-08-07 03:10   
Not sure if this is a troll thread or not...

Making things more realistic would not be done by making ships turn slower. There is no drag or air resistance in space. These ships would almost definately move more agile in reality then they do in the game. The only thing you would have to worry about would be g-forces...which would be worse in larger ships. It seems pretty fine the way it is now.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021834 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR