No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » On Grouping Stats
 Author On Grouping Stats
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-02 00:45   
For the sake of sensibility, how far is it into the range of likelyhood that stats could round to the nearest whole number rather than showing as a decimal?

Not only does it look cleaner, it also makes more sense, since there is no such thing as half of a self-destruct or 1/5th of a kill.

-Ent

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-02 03:00   
The stats are currently distributed as they are gained, so rounding [I]to the nearest whole number[i] would nearly always round down to 0, since you're dividing the numbers by a few. We'd have to revamp the system a bit to cache the stats or something then round as necessary, which I doubt would be worth the effort.

If you just want your profile screens to round down, that's an option, but they wouldn't then be accurate...

Email Shigernafy
Painfulangel
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-02 05:10   
i do not understand what you just wrote

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-02 05:21   
Id agree, roundt up or down the numbers in profile so we dont see those long numbers in profile. Will clean up the stats and make it look alot better

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-02 07:35   
Quote:

On 2011-07-02 03:00, Cave Johnson wrote:
The stats are currently distributed as they are gained, so rounding to the nearest whole number[i] would nearly always round down to 0, since you're dividing the numbers by a few. We'd have to revamp the system a bit to cache the stats or something then round as necessary, which I doubt would be worth the effort.

If you just want your profile screens to round down, that's an option, but they wouldn't then be accurate...

I see what you're saying here. Hm.

It really would be too much trouble to go with the alternative, I'm sure that would tie up alot of time and resources.

It [i]may be better to simply invent grouping prestige, and round the current stats to the nearest whole number, and then let any prestige gained as a group be shown as that one stat. Which would then make much more sense.

Don't know how viable that is though.

-Ent

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-02 10:47   
That would make the most sense, since then people would have to earn their badges.

Why not just make any grouped prestige bonus prestige? That stat has no use for someone who doesn't play scenario.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-02 11:54   
Yeah. Disable stats gained through grouping and convert everything that you didn't do yourself into bonus pres, only add actual stats based on what you personally did.

Maybe there could also be a one time mass rounding to nearest whole of decimal stats in all profiles afterward, the decimals really do make it look rather silly.

Nightsabre
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-02 13:44   
I agree with Talien on this. I would love to see all the decimals removed and grouped stats added as bonus.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-02 16:50   
I happen to agree as well, but we fought the grouping=bonus prestige battle with Faustus back when grouping was in Beta, and lost.

Not to say we can't try again, but we staff who wanted that didn't get very far previously.

And I also agree with a one time rounding, because it looks rather odd indeed. Not all of them need to be rounded to a whole number - combat prestige is damage, for example, so it need not be. But I also don't understand how Steveyk has 726.648574999999 planet collisions, for example, or 42242.1204230034 jumps. Did he or did he not hit the planet, or jump? Fractions just don't make sense there so I suppose rounding.

Get more people to agitate for this and maybe we can "fix" it, but it'll take a lot of noise.

Email Shigernafy
Ray[OU]
Marshal

From: Some where in deep space, From another galaxy. [Origin Unknown]
Posted: 2011-07-02 16:59   
how bout leave every thing how it is and be happy and concentrate on shooting instead pf looking at your stats and being killed!!! on the contrary it wud be good to be shown whole numbers then agsain i dont agree with making group pres bonus pres leave that how it is some ppl need help (need to group) to get higher in rank faster so there not telling you o well your in a station you shud do thisa and that and this and that im just in a lil o ship and cant do all that instead they get there station and say hay i cant do this and that and this and that in a station the small ship shud do it - Grand Admiral Ray [OU] has spoken

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-02 17:16   
And this is why seeing a player in a station is no guarantee they have a clue what they're doing.

Email Shigernafy
Gauthus
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-02 17:32   
I'd have to say just leave it alone. Once you get used to it, I like the accuracy of the stats

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-07-02 19:01   
Quote:

On 2011-07-02 16:50, Cave Johnson wrote:
I happen to agree as well, but we fought the grouping=bonus prestige battle with Faustus back when grouping was in Beta, and lost.

I made a suggestion that essentially suggested this (as well as making grouping more tempting) here, but everyone for some reason got distracted by talking about interdictors.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-02 19:29   
Quote:

On 2011-07-02 19:01, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-02 16:50, Cave Johnson wrote:

I made a suggestion that essentially suggested this (as well as making grouping more tempting) here, but everyone for some reason got distracted by talking about interdictors.

Thread derailment is always a problem.

What was Faustus's main objection to an alternative way to grouping prestige if I might ask? It seems alot more logical.

And while the stats now may be accurate, they also don't make sense. That, and badges really should be earned on a personal basis.

-Ent

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-03 10:35   
I've been suggesting making grouped prestige bonus only ever since I first heard grouping was coming back (look up the posts if you don't believe me ).

But, if Faustus wants it this way, then this way it shall be.

I did think of a possible problem with making it bonus prestige though: Would any badge points a person earn for himself get reduced when being grouped? The badge points aren't shared, but how would they be calculated?

Page created in 0.024233 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR