No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [Suggestion] Mines
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author [Suggestion] Mines
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-14 16:54   
Mines are hidden traps that activate when someone/something step on it. Mines in space? lol
I think, the simpliest solution for mines is to make it impossible to select or PD. You can see the mines on screen by your own eyes but there is no yellow diamond appears. Hence, you can't PD. That's all.

From my experience, there are no mine player laying mines randomly. The chance to mine on the other side of a gate and hope someone encouter it is rare. They usually uncloak, runs in front of the ship then lay mines. However, it results FF on aft armor all the time.

Therefore, I think mine should not cause any splash damage. It should do energy damage like pulse wave, or a kind of electrictiy etc.

Rebel Retribution
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-14 17:58   
I would definately like to see mines reworked. I miss being able to mine a gate and have a dread come through only to have his fore armor obliterated. Currently nobody uses mine layers bc of their lack of any dmg, and personally thats just bad gameplay. How are u going to have a ship with no purpose at all thanks to its main armament being nerfed into the ground?

I mean i understand that the possiblity for exploits, but isn't that almost the point? To use your ships to the best of its ability in any way possible, and it asn't game breaking by any means. Depots are more exploited now than mines ever were, and i know they are getting fixed but some people are acting like a small fleet of minelayers is going to crash the game.

In conclusion mines need to b reworked either through a dmg buff or some sort of other means. I really like the idea of an arming time on mines bc they are supposed to b traps anyways, and not used offensively.

P.S. I miss homing mines

[ This Message was edited by: Line of Eld *TO* on 2011-07-14 17:58 ]

Email Rebel Retribution
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-07-14 19:06   
Quote:

On 2011-07-14 16:54, chlorophyll wrote:
Mines are hidden traps that activate when someone/something step on it. Mines in space? lol
I think, the simpliest solution for mines is to make it impossible to select or PD. You can see the mines on screen by your own eyes but there is no yellow diamond appears. Hence, you can't PD. That's all.

From my experience, there are no mine player laying mines randomly. The chance to mine on the other side of a gate and hope someone encouter it is rare. They usually uncloak, runs in front of the ship then lay mines. However, it results FF on aft armor all the time.

Therefore, I think mine should not cause any splash damage. It should do energy damage like pulse wave, or a kind of electrictiy etc.

If you run out infront of a tank and drop a mine on the ground it's going to blow you away too when it gets run over a split second later. Why should this be any different?

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-14 23:29   
Quote:

On 2011-07-14 19:06, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-14 16:54, chlorophyll wrote:

If you run out infront of a tank and drop a mine on the ground it's going to blow you away too when it gets run over a split second later. Why should this be any different?

If'n we give dem, dere mines a timey clocky d'ingy it'd make make it harda to blow up dem in a fight, so dey'd ave to be all sneaky like and place em at da place deyre gonna be.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Panduh
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-16 12:41   
The great thing about mines is that they're permanent. You place them and then go grab lunch, come back and tally up your kills. They don't have to be (very) actively attended to, unlike planets, ships, fighters, etc.

Unfortunately, Darkspacian mines are very impermanent. This defeats the most important tactical advantage that mines afford you - you can just leave them there, anywhere, anytime, and they'll do their job regardless of where you are.

So before you all start blindly lobbying various tactics as axiomatic reasons for the ways mines should work, take a moment to realize that mines in Darkspace already function in a fundamentally different way from mines as we are used to them.

Right now, mines are no longer a static defense. They have to be actively tended to, actively watched, actively replenished, actively etc, just to ensure that something gets done. The timer on mines is so short that they have become an active defense.

What this means is, to ensure ADVANTAGEOUS usage of mines, you must have:
a) an actively aggressive enemy force
b) a definable path of enemy movement
c) someone actively attending to, placing, and replenishing mines
d) a plan of action that predicts and accounts for all of the above at specific stages of a battle

or, e) clairvoyance.

In other words, you need a picture perfect fight.

Why these conditions for complete, if not successful, usage of mines as they currently are? Because right now, mines are only immediately accessible as a delaying tactic.

In situations that call for a delaying tactic:
a) the enemy is actively aggressing you
b) they're coming at you
c) we're assuming you have mines here
d) they're coming at you

Don't think I've missed anything...

edit: Kenny points it out a couple posts down: suicide bombing.

[ This Message was edited by: Panduh on 2011-07-18 10:51 ]

GiggaShadow[+L.F.]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-17 16:49   
well said, mines sux at the moment they may be better in the new 1.67 update but i do not know I have not tested them in beta to see if they still sux or are better.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-17 22:55   
For the moment, they're still the same in 1.670.

The way they work now is the reason why mines are used offensively rather than defensively. I use them to bomb enemy ships.

If you can only deploy 3 full salvos each, and if the mines disappear when you dock your ship or when you leave the immediate area, then they are completely pointless as "static defenses".

Two things needed for mines
- Make them persistent until destroyed or detonated
- No limit to launching mines

Mines are treated like missile objects now, IIRC someone said. Maybe they need to coded differently?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-07-18 02:30 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.018055 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR