Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [suggestion] wormholes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author [suggestion] wormholes
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-30 23:27   
Quote:

On 2011-06-30 20:38, Panduh wrote:

As mentioned above, discussion about game mechanics, preferably in relation to how they contribute to the game.

I gave a reason for limiting the number of ships going through as well, namely, to provide some risk in transporting massive numbers of ships through a wormhole device in order to offset the new 'detectable' attribute.

Wormholes, by my idea, if positioned correctly will be very hard to spot. Transportation doesn't require a jump and is instantaneous, so lets say you make a chain of wormholes maintained by two or three stations. Well, its very efficient, so long as you aren't detected. And since there's a cooldown on usages, you cant simply instazoom an entire fleet from one system to three systems over.

I suggested this design for wormholes for a reason, and I hope that from now on, if at all, at the discretion of this community, that my idea will meet or further discussion concerning GAME MECHANICS.

I know you're talking about game mechanics. Unfortunately, I still don't agree with limits on WHs.

JDs are used to individually transport ships. The WH was created specifically to make temporary jumpgates for entire fleets to traverse. That's the reason for having a WH generator limited only on stations and some dreads. They're big, heavy and made available to fleet "flagships" for that specific reason.

What's the point of a WH in the first place if it had limits?

Panduh
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-30 23:40   
First off: that's an incredibly ironic thing to say.

Specifically, because (within my suggestion) wormholes are undetectable unless you're close enough, and the metaverse is a big place. The idea is to have moving fleets via WH take a while, to give the risk of detection. My suggestion of being within 20k of a WH entry is still a very small radius, considering the potential of an otherwise undetectable WH. Too powerful otherwise.

also, new edit to op (concerning actual WH device)..

Thanks everyone for keeping this alive thus far.

[ This Message was edited by: Panduh on 2011-06-30 23:56 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-01 03:35   

WH already have a limit in the form of it's operating time. Unlike a jumpgate, it remains open for a limited time before collapsing.

One other thing you can do to limit their use further (besides keeping the originating ship within 300gus) is to shorten the operating time.

But srsly, since WHs act like jumpgates, it's gonna take some coding by the Devs to allow only one ship to pass through at a time with a cooloff. This could end up with bugs that affect the actual gates themselves. I don't see the point in it, if you ask me.

Panduh
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-01 11:57   
Under my suggestion, a wormhole is more or less a non-collision object with a single usable structure on it and a cooldown on said structure.

However, programming set aside, I personally don't expect this to see the light of day (or dark, har har har).

It was my intention to suggest some possibilities with the WH device and delineate DarkSpace gameplay a little bit.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.007473 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR