No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Diplomacy » » A Gentlemens agreement
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author A Gentlemens agreement
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-18 13:58   
Way back in the old days Mirv bombs and cloud bombing tactics would wipe planets clean in a single pass. After much grievance, players got together and formed a treaty to end cloud mirv bombing for the sake of a better gaming experience. To the best of my knowledge it worked for the most part.

We have a similar situation on our hands now. We as fleets can come together and form a pact that makes the whole DS experience much better.

Depot planets right now are a source of allot of grievance in the MV. And don’t kid yourselves all factions use them.

What I propose is a gentlemen’s agreement among fleets to honor these terms.

1. Do not build depot planets. This just contributes to the cancer. I’d have to say at least 40% of planets in sag are depot worlds.

2. Do not use depot planets.

3. Do not defend depot planets. Right before they are captured, scrap them so they can be re-purposed.

This does allot for your faction in the long run.

A; Forces the use of other methods of repair such as platforms and supply ships. This helps your faction learn vital roles that have been long forgotten like combat supply. My fav thing to do btw.

B; Forces your faction to think outside the box when it comes to battle. Most new players are tainted by this method of play (sit at depot and be god). It will be fixed! and when it is, do you really want your faction to fall flat on its face?

C; Encourages more combat. Pushing into a sector is hard enough without facing an immortal fleet when you get there.

Retrospect;

We have lost so much in DS. Modding, Huge eppic fleets. Cloud bombing, cloud bombing with fighters, combat supply. death stars... When do we stand up for what we have left?

We as players hold more power than you think. We can stand united and say no more! No more depot abominations!

If we cannot agree on this, its only the game that will suffer in the end.

Exceptions;

1.No non fleeted player is forced to follow our example. Would be nice if we ALL banded together and did this… but im not so blind as to think everyone will agree.

2.Do not haze those who do not agree to this treaty. Doing so will help no ones cause. Lead by example.

I already have FTL on a cap and scrap campaign against depot planets. Won’t be hard to convince them to agree to this treaty.

Although if were the only ones this is suicide for us....

***Please no negative feedback. We all have heard it before. This is about doing something about it as players rather than waiting on the staff (whom are busy as hell with other stuffs) Terms of the treaty are up for discussion. Exceptions to the treaty are up for discussion. Benefits of the treaty are up for discussion. Drawbacks of the treaty are up for discussion. Again NO negative feedback, no flaming, and no fires. I’m calling on the compassion I have seen in this community, the absolute best gaming community I have ever come across.***

Gerlach
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-18 14:16   
First of all I think ICC should be the first to stop using depot planets. They don't benefit us anywhere near as much as they do the other two factions. Additionally they are like opened gate with a giant "Welcome!" banner over it for both UGTO and K'Luth. In short a perfect backdoor.

ICC alone has 5 depot planets in Tau Ceti. Last week after 6 hours of constant fighting over Tiflis, I've suggested to completly rebuild it and give it much less depots or no at all. 3 days later both Tiflis and Erebuni became depots...

I'm not attacking you, but if you make a proposal like this, you have to start somewhere.
[ This Message was edited by: Gerlach on 2011-06-18 14:29 ]

\"I'M HEAVY METAL \\m/>_<\\m/ !!\"

Deltabacon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 14:26   
Depots should be restricted to a low number for a depot planet* (5 should impinge on excessive). This allows destroyed ships to be repaired and back into the fray in a moderate amount of time. However, in planetary clusters there should be only one such planet or the 4-5 should be spread evenly. Depots make the game very unbalanced in favor of the defensive team, when they huddle around a 20-21 depot planet. It is infuriating. I've only been playing again for 4 days and this is the single most damning problem with the game thats immediately obvious.

EDIT: *As in 5 depots for a planet, not 5 depot planets a system.**

EDIT 2: **Possibly less
[ This Message was edited by: Deltaflyer on 2011-06-18 14:31 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-06-18 14:34   
It's a good idea and I'm all for it, but I guess we'll just have to see what other people think.

jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 14:46   
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 14:26, Deltaflyer wrote:
Depots should be restricted to a low number for a depot planet* (5 should impinge on excessive). This allows destroyed ships to be repaired and back into the fray in a moderate amount of time. However, in planetary clusters there should be only one such planet or the 4-5 should be spread evenly. Depots make the game very unbalanced in favor of the defensive team, when they huddle around a 20-21 depot planet. It is infuriating. I've only been playing again for 4 days and this is the single most damning problem with the game thats immediately obvious.

[ This Message was edited by: Deltaflyer on 2011-06-18 14:31 ]

this

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-18 14:52   
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 14:26, Deltaflyer wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Soulless *ADM* on 2011-06-18 15:04 ]

I think there should be at most 5 depots per planet and for a large system like tau max of 3. luyten 1 or 2

Email *FTL*Soulless
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-18 15:05   
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 14:16, Gerlach wrote:
First of all I think ICC should be the first to stop using depot planets. They don't benefit us anywhere near as much as they do the other two factions. Additionally they are like opened gate with a giant "Welcome!" banner over it for both UGTO and K'Luth. In short a perfect backdoor.

ICC alone has 5 depot planets in Tau Ceti. Last week after 6 hours of constant fighting over Tiflis, I've suggested to completly rebuild it and give it much less depots or no at all. 3 days later both Tiflis and Erebuni became depots...

I'm not attacking you, but if you make a proposal like this, you have to start somewhere.
[ This Message was edited by: Gerlach on 2011-06-18 14:29 ]

You speak as though i alone have the power to do this... while i do commad a great deal of power within icc, this is not something i can do alone.

Convincing ICC to give up depos when enemies still openly use them will loose me favor.
This is something we must all come to terms with. (all three factions).

The proposal of limiting # of depos on a planet is awsome. Maby this is an avenue we can explore?

apate
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 15:15   
As long as we can get all factions to drop depos at the same time, I agree.

Email apate
Rebels
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 15:16   
Hmmm i remeber making a depot planet in luyten this very same day...

*MI Node jumps out of nowhere death beams america*

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-18 15:38   
I just want to see who is interested.

If we get enough hits, We can move to open talks to discuss terms of the treaty.

Desired Fleets.

FTL
EAFS
PAD
RSM
CEC
GTN
PB
SA

If we can get these fleets to agree, i believe we can do much to benefit our factions and the game.

At the very least, we need one fleet from every faction that you feel is the most active, and best representatives of the faction.

Admiral C. Wilson
Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 16:30   
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 15:38, Defiance*XO* wrote:
I just want to see who is interested.

If we get enough hits, We can move to open talks to discuss terms of the treaty.

Desired Fleets.

FTL
EAFS
PAD
RSM
CEC
GTN
PB
SA

If we can get these fleets to agree, i believe we can do much to benefit our factions and the game.

At the very least, we need one fleet from every faction that you feel is the most active, and best representatives of the faction.

You forgot the SPD

Email Admiral C. Wilson
Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 16:32   
Cant rightly speak for all of PAD but i certainly agree, even if the thought of change worries me.
allthough being ICC primarily i know the change will be minor for me.

il speak to the rest of Pad should they no post their thoughts by wednesday.

allthough im fairly sure that the vote to join you will be pretty damn high.

Ps. i am in England at the moment so i cant chat through GCQL and we do not have enough members for a forum aas of yet.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-18 17:28   
There isn't a soul in Darkspace that hasn't abused a depot planet to fight off overwhelming odds before.

That being said, that should be obvious enough that its game breaking and a fix for it should be near the top of the list. It really is game breaking.

You wouldn't think something as simple as 20 depots on a planet could stop a fleet, but it can. And I've always wondered with a sort of a macabre interest what would happen if you had two planets close enough together to get two depot planets to work for you.

No one person should be able to stop a fleet. Never. No matter how good you are, no matter what ship you fly, if its you vs. 15 people, the best you should be able to do is be a fly annoying the hell out of them.

You should not be a Hive that withstands the bombardment of 8 stations and its supporting fleet. Happened.

I don't expect something like this to hold up. The bombing agreement in .483 was hard to get people to agree to and it only took one or two people to screw the whole thing (considering one bomber could level a system in the course of an hour and gain massive prestige of it, some people are just that cheap.)

If you want to end depot spamming, you have to remember two things.

One, only a permanent fix will actually stop it. Sorry, but this ones mostly down to the Devs.

And two, if you want to stop it being used so much, bring out a bomber frigate.

Depot planets can be tough to crack, but they are almost never defended until its obvious thing big is attacking it. Its not worth the time or prestige to try and take down a bomber, and by then its almost too late anyways. You can disable a depot planet just by the sheer inattention of the other faction. Since they're usually on barren planets, its all the easier.

Just like .483 if you really wanted to stop glassing all you had to do was stop building, sometimes you have to drop what you're doing and do something that has a huge tactical advantage despite logical reasoning and prestige whoring.

Since UGTO is by and large the most massive offender of this (Kluth CAN depot camp, but they almost never do, and ICC has shields) but are also the most populous faction we can either do the above and maintain reasonable depot planets ourselves (because I sure as hell don't expect UGTO to be that classy) or you can just decide to go nuclear.

If you really want to remove depot planets (the egregious ones, you know the ones with more than like six), you have to remove the incentive to bother having them. What good is holding a depot planet when if you spam it all the enemy faction is going to do is pull out a load of frigates and spam bombs at everyone one of your planets until you stop?

This kind of tactic is far more effective than people appreciate.

Instead of going to town on the planets themselves, players insist on flying dreadnoughts and stations into these deathtrap and wonder why all went to hell. Its seriously becoming one of the more irritating aspects of Darkspace at this point that people have simply forgotten that there are many many other ships with a wide variety of uses and that jumping into an EAD and spamming spacebar, while effective, isn't the only method.

Consider and remember that just because it doesn't gain you a ton of prestige, doesn't mean it isn't absurdly effective. If you focus on winning and not just gaining prestige, you stand a much greater chance of actually changing the nature of the game. The status quo has stayed the same because people are content as long as they gain that huge amount of prestige. You want depot hugging to stop? Time to stop spamming huge ships as a counter to every problem, and to stop putting your stats before your faction.

Can't do that? Then the only problem is the one you chose to tolerate.

-Ent

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-18 18:14   
last time i bombed a depot planet. It had 0 pop 0 tec and 0 energy and depos still worked...

bug maby... but it was not the only time.

*Nemesis*©
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-06-18 19:22   
After reading the first letter of ents post i got bored and decided to read no more....

funny how its all icc posting in this topic if not alts from icc!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021859 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR