Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New players finding their way
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author New players finding their way
Animyx
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-06-20 11:07   
every time i see a new player i always try to give them advice and guide them in what to do, sometimes i even get one of the more veteran players to take them under their wing and be their mentor for a while.

having a mentor in this game when you first start is a great help, the reason i help others is because when i first started i had to keep the manual alt-tabbed and keep looking things up every five minutes, i did get a bit of advice about how to start gaining a few ranks... thanks Stevey XD..

I think that making this game will be newbie friendly will help everyone, players and devs, as it will provide new team members and targets, new ideas and suggestions. i remember a dev once saying that the DS servers can handle a lot of players at once.. why not test that out, we need like a video guide link on the homepage or something... peace -apoc-

Lock 'N' Load

CamilleKreemers
Vice Admiral
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2011-06-20 14:50   
some classmates of mine also tried this game, but quitted after 5 days. Im searching the hell to them, but they were online in one of those rookie servers. They never saw me searching and they also didnt got the gate directions.

They dont want to play it anymore because they never saw an player to aid them.

Im Dutch so forgive language mistakes.

Email CamilleKreemers
An Fiach
Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-21 06:07   
Spawning in Sag by default will not help. They will be blasted out of the galaxy by ships much larger than themselves and leave the game even faster. This happens already in scenario which is where the manual suggests noobie players go to in order to gain prestige by capping planets.

I know there are players who would take people under their wing but the devs cannot depend on the goodwill of the playerbase, all too often it fails no matter what gaming community. Some have already stated they will blast you as soon as they see you, your rank doesn't matter to them. The hard truth is that some people don't care if the game is successful or if it dies, they just want their ego stroked.

The problem is that there is no incentive to play in any other place once you can spawn the big toys. Naturally, the long time players will congregate where they can compare their e-peens and that is where the action will be. New players want to be where the action is, but they want the ability to be competitive. They won't feel like they are in Sag and there aren't enough players online to provide them with opportunities to help, gain rank and stay out of the way of El Leeto Idiota who will treat him like an altar boy.

Sagittarius isn't difficult to find, it's just that new players have no clue what you mean when you mention the Sag server. They log on and see only Orion, Kraken and Beta in the servers list. Star systems they can see on the map.

Many players these days aren't inclined or don't have the time to spend hours and hours pouring over the manual and the forums before playing the game or be beholden to some random clan leader they run into when they log in. They are either too lazy, or they are working folk with families and other responsibilities limiting their leisure time. They want to learn as they play, jump right in and have fun and later learn the intricacies. Ursa Minor is where they need to be.

From the devs, it will take a lot more than switching a spawn point to deal with the population issues. If the community wants to address it, I suggest doing what most clans/guilds/squads/fleets do in games that have designated starting areas and have representatives in the noobie areas. They can help new players, provide them with some action and maybe even recruit new members to their fleet. Heck, you may even enjoy fighting against smaller ships that you can't vaporize by pressing the space bar.

Just my 2 cents.

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-21 16:08   
Quote:

On 2011-06-21 06:07, An Fiach wrote:
Spawning in Sag by default will not help. They will be blasted out of the galaxy by ships much larger than themselves and leave the game even faster. This happens already in scenario which is where the manual suggests noobie players go to in order to gain prestige by capping planets.

I know there are players who would take people under their wing but the devs cannot depend on the goodwill of the playerbase, all too often it fails no matter what gaming community. Some have already stated they will blast you as soon as they see you, your rank doesn't matter to them. The hard truth is that some people don't care if the game is successful or if it dies, they just want their ego stroked.

The problem is that there is no incentive to play in any other place once you can spawn the big toys. Naturally, the long time players will congregate where they can compare their e-peens and that is where the action will be. New players want to be where the action is, but they want the ability to be competitive. They won't feel like they are in Sag and there aren't enough players online to provide them with opportunities to help, gain rank and stay out of the way of El Leeto Idiota who will treat him like an altar boy.

Sagittarius isn't difficult to find, it's just that new players have no clue what you mean when you mention the Sag server. They log on and see only Orion, Kraken and Beta in the servers list. Star systems they can see on the map.

Many players these days aren't inclined or don't have the time to spend hours and hours pouring over the manual and the forums before playing the game or be beholden to some random clan leader they run into when they log in. They are either too lazy, or they are working folk with families and other responsibilities limiting their leisure time. They want to learn as they play, jump right in and have fun and later learn the intricacies. Ursa Minor is where they need to be.

From the devs, it will take a lot more than switching a spawn point to deal with the population issues. If the community wants to address it, I suggest doing what most clans/guilds/squads/fleets do in games that have designated starting areas and have representatives in the noobie areas. They can help new players, provide them with some action and maybe even recruit new members to their fleet. Heck, you may even enjoy fighting against smaller ships that you can't vaporize by pressing the space bar.

Just my 2 cents.

i disagree with you almost entirely. Sag isnt hard to get to, i agree however for a noob they dont even know how to jump, and trying to tell them to go to sag is hard since we dont even know they are there.

people play the games to fight with other people, if its an AI fest it gets boring real fast, and i do (whenever a noobie comes on) try to help them out whenever i can and teach teh basics and that they should stay in sag untill they can fly solo.

i really cant begin to understand why thats not clear.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-21 18:01   
I think I can narrow down the reason why every newbie is confused when they enter the MV, even if they did read the manual.

There are seven servers.

There are seven servers, with about 30 to 40 systems total, with about 300 planets to go with it.

Of all this, six of these systems belong to the one server cluster that actually gets fought over.

Of these six systems, only three of them see regular, day to day action. Hell, one of them doens't even count since it links to the MI systems.

Infact, just one system sees more action than the rest of the systems in the MV combined : Luyten.

When you narrow it down and realize that you are fighting over less than 10% of the MV consistently on a day to day basis for over a year, you see the issue.

When you are new, you don't know this. Once you play for a few days, you realize this. And then you stop playing because you're a scout trying to fight off a fleet of dreadnaughts and you don't have five years of combat experience to make yourself useful.

To be fair at this point I don't even know why we have so many systems in planets when its all concentrated to a single point, incidentally right in the center of the MV. You could probably cut out every other server but Sagi and relatively little would change. Its funny too because the second anything gets trimmed out of this huge MV someone starts talking about adding more systems - that never get used. Go figure.

Might want to start by streamlining what the MV is meant to be, that way when a newbie that joins actually can look at the map and know what he or she is looking at.

-Ent

Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-22 00:56   
Quote:

On 2011-06-21 18:01, Enterprise wrote:
I think I can narrow down the reason why every newbie is confused when they enter the MV, even if they did read the manual.

There are seven servers.

There are seven servers, with about 30 to 40 systems total, with about 300 planets to go with it.

Of all this, six of these systems belong to the one server cluster that actually gets fought over.

Of these six systems, only three of them see regular, day to day action. Hell, one of them doens't even count since it links to the MI systems.

Infact, just one system sees more action than the rest of the systems in the MV combined : Luyten.

When you narrow it down and realize that you are fighting over less than 10% of the MV consistently on a day to day basis for over a year, you see the issue.

When you are new, you don't know this. Once you play for a few days, you realize this. And then you stop playing because you're a scout trying to fight off a fleet of dreadnaughts and you don't have five years of combat experience to make yourself useful.

To be fair at this point I don't even know why we have so many systems in planets when its all concentrated to a single point, incidentally right in the center of the MV. You could probably cut out every other server but Sagi and relatively little would change. Its funny too because the second anything gets trimmed out of this huge MV someone starts talking about adding more systems - that never get used. Go figure.

Might want to start by streamlining what the MV is meant to be, that way when a newbie that joins actually can look at the map and know what he or she is looking at.

-Ent

True

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
An Fiach
Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-22 04:54   
Quote:

On 2011-06-21 16:08, Marius Falix wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-06-21 06:07, An Fiach wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

i disagree with you almost entirely. Sag isnt hard to get to, i agree however for a noob they dont even know how to jump, and trying to tell them to go to sag is hard since we dont even know they are there.

people play the games to fight with other people, if its an AI fest it gets boring real fast, and i do (whenever a noobie comes on) try to help them out whenever i can and teach teh basics and that they should stay in sag untill they can fly solo.

i really cant begin to understand why thats not clear.

The flaws in your argument are that a) I never claimed people want to play against AI and b) The fact that you help new players doesn't negate all of the negatives that potential players face coming in here. You personally may be a helpful person but it doesn't mean the people the next dozen noobies run into will be.

When I signed up 2 years ago, I left after 3 days because I had such a horrible experience with the community. When I came back 2 weeks ago I found people's behavior much improved, but there are still bad elements and as with any community, there always will be. Putting new players in a position to meet the wrong kind of people in a cluster where they have no hope of fighting back? That's a bad recipe. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that your heart is in the right place.

They could remove the larger ships, but I suspect most long time players would just walk out. People want their toys.

If it were me, I'd look for a way to make using the smaller ships more important/necessary. Make it so that having the biggest ship isn't an 'I WIN' button, but I don't know what Palestar's vision is. I'll throw this out though since it isn't a new idea and they don't need to worry about intellectual property rights to use it:

Stations: No longer as ships, but actual stations. They have to be built, requiring large amounts of resources. Faction must control the star system in order to build one. Their presence increases AI traffic so that players can't come in ones and twos and capture a system. It has point defense and can spawn fighters. Stations required to produce Dreadnought class ships.

Dreadnought: Reduce their effectiveness vs small ships (ie weapons unable to track corvettes and frigates changing direction a lot) and remove the fighter bays except from the command carrier types. Command carrier types can spawn Player controlled Corvettes and Frigates and Troop Transports (provided infantry are loaded on the carrier). Their bombs changed to area effect weapons (no planetary bombing) and in small numbers. They would be remotely detonated, otherwise self destructing at a very long range.

I've not used a carrier (launching the ai ships)so I don't know how they work but I would have them limited to attacking dreads and stations so that players are required (flying the smaller ships) for bombing planets.

I'm sure my ideas are flawed but it pushes for faction/fleet actions and makes small ships necessary, while being given some modicum of survivability. They can be killed by the bigger ships but much more easily by ships of their own class. I wouldn't really change Cruisers and below since cruisers aren't so mightily overpowering that they cannot be fended off or escaped. I think this would make it possible to bring old and new players together under such a system without it being a negative experience.

As a side perhaps even beacons would allow a dread to track the small ships without issue, making them useful.

I was only an ensign when I returned and I'm bringing my friends into the game. I'm seeing it from the perspective of a new player. I've been in Sag and still have only seen 4-5 players at one time so even in the populated areas (Luyten), it doesn't give the impression of a populated game. I think taking the long view would be best. Make the veterans need the new players before throwing them together and hoping for the best.

[ This Message was edited by: An Fiach on 2011-06-22 04:59 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-06-22 07:05   
maybe make a permanent group of volunteer players within the game who will be notified when a new player logs into ursa minor? also add ability for new players to contact all members this group (whoever are active during that time).

this way the players willing to teach can immediately know when a newbie enters the game, and the newbie can ask the group for information and be confident of a response.

Quote:

Dreadnought: Reduce their effectiveness vs small ships (ie weapons unable to track corvettes and frigates changing direction a lot) and remove the fighter bays except from the command carrier types. Command carrier types can spawn Player controlled Corvettes and Frigates and Troop Transports (provided infantry are loaded on the carrier).

their effectiveness is low against scouts and frigates. dreads are slow and can catch upto the small ships only by jumping them. the small ships also have fast JD to escape dreads and high maneuverability (3x-4x of a dread).

most dreads in beta dont have fighters anymore. 2 ugto dreads, 1 icc dread and 1 kluth dread have fighters (compared to 4 ugto, 4 icc and 2 kluth dreads).

there are some coding problems which prevent a ship from spawning another ship (projectiles like missiles/mines/fighters are ok).

Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-22 14:07   
Quote:

On 2011-06-21 18:01, Enterprise wrote:

There are seven servers.

-Ent

I couldn't agree more. The MV is way too big at the moment, and the game would immensely benefit from a very large system trim.

An Fiach
Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-22 14:58   
Quote:

On 2011-06-22 07:05, Inactive-001 wrote:
maybe make a permanent group of volunteer players within the game who will be notified when a new player logs into ursa minor? also add ability for new players to contact all members this group (whoever are active during that time).

this way the players willing to teach can immediately know when a newbie enters the game, and the newbie can ask the group for information and be confident of a response.

Quote:

Dreadnought: Reduce their effectiveness vs small ships (ie weapons unable to track corvettes and frigates changing direction a lot) and remove the fighter bays except from the command carrier types. Command carrier types can spawn Player controlled Corvettes and Frigates and Troop Transports (provided infantry are loaded on the carrier).

their effectiveness is low against scouts and frigates. dreads are slow and can catch upto the small ships only by jumping them. the small ships also have fast JD to escape dreads and high maneuverability (3x-4x of a dread).

most dreads in beta dont have fighters anymore. 2 ugto dreads, 1 icc dread and 1 kluth dread have fighters (compared to 4 ugto, 4 icc and 2 kluth dreads).

there are some coding problems which prevent a ship from spawning another ship (projectiles like missiles/mines/fighters are ok).

Thanks for correcting me. My lack of experience and knowledge of the game engine are evident here

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.016371 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR