No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New players finding their way
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New players finding their way
Alcedo
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-06-17 07:58   
I find DarkSpace to be difficult for new players to find their way around. Last night I helped a new player find the way to Sagittarius after he spend two days in Ursa Minor and didn't even see another player. If it wasn't for the fact that he at last chatted in /say, nobody would have noticed he was there.

Maybe new accounts spawning in Sag by default will make it easier for new players to get access to other players. I know Sag isn't the best place to start out, but maybe its better than starting in Ursa Minor and not seeing anyone else, then logging out because you think the game has no players.

Before the servers were merged it was still possible to click on the individual servers in GCQL and read about each one before logging in. That way it was much easier to see Sagittarius to be the main/most populated server.

Maybe a Quick Start/New Player guide displayed prominently on the home page will also help. The manual (part 5.3.1) does not state clearly enough that almost all players will be found in Sagittarius.

DS needs more players and I think any way that makes it easier for new players to find their way will be an improvement.

Edit: Spelling

[ This Message was edited by: Alcedo on 2011-06-17 08:01 ]

Email Alcedo
Ray[OU]
Marshal

From: Some where in deep space, From another galaxy. [Origin Unknown]
Posted: 2011-06-17 08:41   
Hmmm new players are fun altho they are scared of you becuase you have giant ships and they have small one so they tend to try to kinda suck up to ya say when im in ugto home space theres a new player there he jumps to me then he sees my big ship and says please dont shoot me (this has happedn before sadly i dont remeber his name ) so i say ok i wont shoot you if you dont shoot me so he just sticks around while i kill all the AI ships around him and they ask questions and i answer them and i stated that he shud go to sag he didnt know where it was he tole me he saw another player (same faction) couple of days ago there and they told them to stay in this server cuz your a noob now i think that is mean so i showed him the right gate to go in and he went then i continued my elites hunting thats normally how i meet noobs in enemy territory but wat if i hadnt been there he wud have been in that server for who knows long untill another player cam along enemy or friendly so yea i think there shud be maby a small thing on screen or something to help the new players to find there way also to all who go to enemy home syastem if you find a new player talk to them it might make them feel better and you can tell them if they want to talk or play with more ppl lead them to the transfer gate it will help instead of long time in home server with pirates tho i started out in MV not sure how but i did but it worked for me

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-06-17 08:56   
Quote:

On 2011-06-17 07:58, Alcedo wrote:
I find DarkSpace to be difficult for new players to find their way around. Last night I helped a new player find the way to Sagittarius after he spend two days in Ursa Minor and didn't even see another player. If it wasn't for the fact that he at last chatted in /say, nobody would have noticed he was there.

Maybe new accounts spawning in Sag by default will make it easier for new players to get access to other players. I know Sag isn't the best place to start out, but maybe its better than starting in Ursa Minor and not seeing anyone else, then logging out because you think the game has no players.

Before the servers were merged it was still possible to click on the individual servers in GCQL and read about each one before logging in. That way it was much easier to see Sagittarius to be the main/most populated server.

Maybe a Quick Start/New Player guide displayed prominently on the home page will also help. The manual (part 5.3.1) does not state clearly enough that almost all players will be found in Sagittarius.

DS needs more players and I think any way that makes it easier for new players to find their way will be an improvement.

Edit: Spelling

[ This Message was edited by: Thernhoghas on 2011-06-17 08:56 ]

agreed.

I have a slightly split opinion about making sag the default spawn place, but under the current conditions it would propably be the best.

YES, DarkSpace needs some quick-guide displayed on the home page.
Nothing big, something like a short guide on servers/server selection, the ship selection screen (I tried to introduce a classmate of mine into this game and he already failed on the ship selection screen before I found time to help him via skype) and basic ship controls

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-06-17 10:25   
If only there was a document that one could read describing the features and controls of the game. And if only there was some way to display tooltips in game to help new players find their way around. And if only there was some subforum for new players to ask questions and for olde players to post guides. And if only there was an motd in the chat that told you how to get started. And if only we had staff members that were available basically 24/7 in the Lobby. And if only it were possible for other players to post things in the forums, such as their own quickguide.

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-06-17 10:48   
Quote:

On 2011-06-17 10:25, $yTHe {C?} wrote:
If only there was a document that one could read describing the features and controls of the game. And if only there was some way to display tooltips in game to help new players find their way around. And if only there was some subforum for new players to ask questions and for olde players to post guides. And if only there was an motd in the chat that told you how to get started. And if only we had staff members that were available basically 24/7 in the Lobby. And if only it were possible for other players to post things in the forums, such as their own quickguide.

let me rephrase my point:

there should be an official quickguide on how to play DS and a link to it should be DIRECTLY on the homepage.

Alcedo
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-06-17 11:14   
Quote:

On 2011-06-17 10:48, Thernhoghas wrote:
Quote:

there should be an official quickguide on how to play DS and a link to it should be DIRECTLY on the homepage.

Yes, it should be one of the first things new players see.

Email Alcedo
Ray[OU]
Marshal

From: Some where in deep space, From another galaxy. [Origin Unknown]
Posted: 2011-06-17 11:59   
i have suggesttion you know when your new the f1 feature is there right wat if that cud be like i was gonna say short totorial vidoe there but that might cuaze probs so maby somting like a totorail that can be read and it wont go away tilll you scroll all the way down and check maby a small box saying that you have read the totorial much like reading the ROC and stuff when you start playing new games somethin like that it might work

alteratively if you introduce a freind to this game invite them over to your house and let them watch how you play and maby they will learn *it is proven humans learn with there eyes* like i did with Mike tho he lives in my house :/ he plays just fine cuz he spent 2 weeks watching me play i think hes pretty good tought him how to mash space bar like a true noob and how to mash space bar professionally
[ This Message was edited by: Grand Admiral Ray [OU] on 2011-06-17 12:01 ]

P2.
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-06-17 16:27   
Forgiveness, forgiveness, and forgiveness.
Do not be angry with me.
But .......

a - My native language is not English.
b - The little I know, I try to use the best I can.
c - I'm not the only one who does not speak English.
d - Most of the time I need a translator to understand.

summarizing

Many write without using any punctuation
Abbreviated words in strange ways.
Very long sentences that end up not understanding.

I think that does not help those entering for the first time and do not have English as their native language.

It would be good for the good understanding between languages ​​that use phrases and words that everyone can understand.

Email P2.
Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-17 16:54   
its gotta be said, Making Sag the default starting server would be immensly helpfull.

because im sure there are plenty that have left the game after seeing noone on.

people dont allways read the manual, i had it on alt tab the first few days i played the game so i could learn on the fly things i couldnt figure out for myself but all the same i was lucky to be met by one of the players in cassiopia i think it was.

either way atleast have a relay beacon in each verse thatl /t new players telling them that there are more people in other servers or to use /say to talk throughout the meta.

the scripting is allready done as far as im concerned because i distinctly recall either the agents or pirates using it.

also perhaps have a brief run down of the population within the servers on the servers tab.
well atleast more accurate for Orion.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Spicker
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-18 05:11   
heh suits me well ...need some targets.
but this game is pretty much dead so we dont gonna see "new blood" so often
[ This Message was edited by: ThoR. on 2011-06-18 05:12 ]

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 09:53   
Quote:

On 2011-06-18 05:11, ThoR. wrote:
heh suits me well ...need some targets.
but this game is pretty much dead so we dont gonna see "new blood" so often
[ This Message was edited by: ThoR. on 2011-06-18 05:12 ]

been on a few games and i myself thought a few games were dead but given a lil bit more work and time the game will pull itself out.

and if we make the game more newb friendly itl definately help.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-18 13:07   
In the old days new players where swarmed by experienced players rdy with instructions, because any new player can b a very helpful teammate after just a couple of hours of help.

It saddens me to see many ppl dont help new players, instead they prestige farm to reach station, then station spam all day.

Most players agree big part of the game is community interaction. This big part of the game is being neglected more and more, mostly because of the presence of alts, and nobody trusts a new player anymore.

I think we as a gaming community can help a lot more then we do atm. I think it has been explained a million times that admins work as a hobby on this game and have a regular day job.

If we feel new players should b helped more...then go ahead! do it! help em!

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-06-18 15:25   
I am currently working on a "prototype" for a quick-guide on how to play DS. With screenshots 'n' stuff

Installation and server-selection are done. I'm working at the ship spawning part atm.

10:30 pm over here, so I won't do more today

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-19 04:26   
Quote:

On 2011-06-17 11:14, Alcedo wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-06-17 10:48, Thernhoghas wrote:
Quote:

Yes, it should be one of the first things new players see.

http://darkspace.net/index.htm?module=document.php&doc_id=1&chap_id=220&chap_name=5

Email -Shadowalker-™
Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-06-19 10:21   
It needs to waaaay more obviously clear!

i dont see how you fail to get that.
atleast spruse it up with a bit more images, its kinda intimidating to a new player.
wall of text and all that.

Allthough setting the MV, (it is the MV? the center systems) as the default SY selection would be more helpfull with a large colourfull notice during a players first login.
again most people just skim info, we need to catch their eye and make sure they understand coz this is hardly a game you can afford to skim.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.018489 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR