- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Evellon
16th - faudin
14th - moriens

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » 1.67 beta Small vs Large
 Author 1.67 beta Small vs Large
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-15 01:57   
I will be trying to test in beta the ability of small ships to stand up to dreadnaughts. I feel like there will be major issues in 1.67 for noob pilots trying to get by in sag which is mostly inhabited by dreads.
This test should focus on frigate and destroyer class ships versus dreadnaught class ships. Also these tests should be done in two man teams. (two small ships, two large ships) This will simulate tactics used in MV to deal with small ships.

ICC small ships Vs UGTO dreads

Forecast- ICC small ships well easily evade most shots made by UGTO dreads. New shield boons will nullify any lucky shots. ICC small ships will be a viable option against UGTO dreads.

UGTO small ships Vs ICC dreads

Forecast- UGTO small ships will have to come well within range of ICC dreads in order to do decent damage due to falloff. Heavy armor on UGTO small ships coupled with ICC’s high speed projectiles will ensure most shots hit. The lower damage done by ICC weapons is a non issue due to UGTO’s armor slow repair rate. Deploying UGTO small ships Vs ICC dreadnaught s is suicide at best.

K’luth small ships Vs UGTO dreads

Forecast- K’luth small ships will have to come in danger close (in most cases) in order to deal damage to UGTO Dreadnaughts. K’luth Frigates will be the better choice due to cloak timer, and fast JD. K’luth destroyers will have to hit and run. This scenario could go both ways, and is probably the most evenly matched of all six of these skirmishes. Due to UGTO armor self repair rate, its entirely possible for a Kluth small ships to peck a UGTO dreadnaught down to size.

Kluth small ships Vs ICC dreads

Forecast- K’luth small ships will never get anywhere Vs ICC dreads due to
ICC defense mode. They just cannot do enough damage to be affective. Deploying K’luth Small ships Vs ICC dreadnaughts is only mildly affective.

ICC and UGTO small ships Vs K’luth Dreads.

I think we all know how this will turn out…. If you don’t, say so, and ill spell it out for you.

**Forecasts based on 1.66 data. Expect discrepancies and a general trend for Dreadnaughts to do even better than expected Vs small ships due to number of projectiles being increased per platform. Although beam damage has increased 1.67, this is a null issue. Lets face it, if your in beam range in 1.66 your dead.... nothing different about that in 1.67.**
[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*XO* on 2011-06-15 02:04 ]

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-15 02:20   
Problem is, you're forgetting what makes small ships negligible as a threat.

Fire power and jump drives.

Unless you you have a dread pumping out the fire power. An enemy dread isn't going to worry about cruisers and below (unless it's an interdictor) because if they are being pecked down, all they have to do is jump to the nearest depot planet for their convenience.

Of course there is that new ICC cruiser full of core weapons, but even still, it's going to have to be near stationary to fire least it wants to be dead in the water with no energy.
[ This Message was edited by: Azure Prower on 2011-06-15 02:46 ]

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-06-15 04:06   
Quote:

On 2011-06-15 02:20, Azure Prower wrote:
Problem is, you're forgetting what makes small ships negligible as a threat.

Fire power and jump drives.

Unless you you have a dread pumping out the fire power. An enemy dread isn't going to worry about cruisers and below (unless it's an interdictor) because if they are being pecked down, all they have to do is jump to the nearest depot planet for their convenience.

Of course there is that new ICC cruiser full of core weapons, but even still, it's going to have to be near stationary to fire least it wants to be dead in the water with no energy.
[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*XO* on 2011-06-15 04:07 ]

Think your going to be amazed at how powerful the SC is... and how fast it can fly and deliver its payload. Everyone is in for a shocker there.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-06-15 04:59   

I had my ass in a Mandible taken down by a couple of SCs and a Scout.

Scout beaconed me and pinged my ass while the SCs stayed out of ruptor range and pelted me to death. Of course I could've jumped away. But it was Beta, so I wanted to see how long I could hold out against the SC.

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-06-15 07:13   
Reason why many don't use small ships (with the exception of yourself Gerlach) is because:
1. You do more damage in a dread or station.
2. You get more pres by doing more damage faster as a dread or station.
3. If you can't destroy the enemy dread or station by the time their jump drive has recharged from cool down, then you may as well not bother unless you have an interdictor field/ship handy.

Makes me wonder how different DarkSpace would be if we had no jump drives or they were made a luxury.

[ This Message was edited by: Azure Prower on 2011-06-15 07:15 ]

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-06-15 07:29   
Having actually used UGTO cruisers against ICC dreadnaughts in beta, I can confidently say that UGTO small ships will not have problems with being railgunned and/or ion cannoned to death.

An UGTO torpedo cruiser can happily evade the majority of railgun fire up to just about the range of its torpedoes, meaning it can do a lot of damage to an ICC deadnaught by effectively performing hit-and-evade tactics.

UGTO destroyers and below are smaller, faster, and more manoeuverable than UGTO cruisers, meaning they can get even closer without being hit reliably.

Thus, I predict that it shouldn't be impossible to whittle away at a dreadnaught with one's torpedoes and cannons. Not that it'll be easy, since destroyers can't one-shot dreadnaughts, but it's not a losing proposition to field a pack of destroyers, in my opinion. You just have to make sure you pick the right destroyer for the job; one with lots of torpedoes.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2011-06-15 08:43   
Beams no longer have level modifiers, and are based upon the original cruiser values, or around that. So you'll actually find small ships have received a large buff and dreadnoughts have received a slightly nerf. This coupled with layout changes, and you've actually got smaller ships which are much better than their release counterparts, and dreadnoughts which have largely only received fixes to some ships and modifications of others.

As I've mentioned in other topics pertaining beta, please refrain from posting feedback unless it has been tested.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2011-06-15 08:47 ]

Page created in 0.018723 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR