No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » On Planet Scrapping
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author On Planet Scrapping
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-09 16:00   
Okay, this suggestion has been made before, but its been a long time and I can't find it for the life of me - but I think its time for a bit of a bump on it.

So now, we have a bit of a logical dissonance here.

We have structures that take time to build, regardless of enhancements or amount of gadgets. However, scrapping takes no time at all, and you don't need to be anywhere near the planet in question.

This leads to a few questionable tactics that I myself use, and find it somewhat closer to be an imbalance of sorts rather than an exploitive tactic.

I propose that in order to scrap a planet, it should be done as simply as deconstruction. It uses the same build gadgets as an engineer and requires them to be within range of said structure or orbiting the planet. Just like now. I would also propose that scraping a planet, in this manner, would remove prestige loss from scrapping, as it not only makes it more time consuming to rebuild planets or to make changes, but also because it would be inefficent to exploit continually scrapping and rebuilding.

Scrapping a structure should take at least 50% of the time it took to build it. Being the draconian man I am, I'd say It should take the full amount of time, but I know how the playerbase is.

Like I said, its simply a balance of sorts. Scorched earth tactics are used widely enough at this point I would strongly advocate some kind of limits on its use, as the prestige loss from scrapping a few important structures is negligable to amount of damage it can do to a planet. Not to mention I've been trying to think of a good way of getting rid of prestige loss from scraping for a while now, as it really does get in the way of decent engineering prestige.

-Ent

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-09 18:10   
ent there was a post about scrapping planet early not the same as yours i know. but from what i saw in that one dont think this one going to do to good either

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-04-09 20:21   
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is essentially a thread entirely dedicated to the suggestion posted. It is also posted in the dev feedback (suggestions) forum, where the rules should be a little more stringent on posting. This is not a thread complaining about scrapping in general, but a specific post about a specific game change.

Right.

I like the general thrust of this idea. Would make scrapping an entire planet harder to do when it's about to be captured, and would make people think about defending a valuable planet rather than just scorching it and capping it back. Also, it would make people consider having their infantry set to "raze" and strategically position them on crucial structures...

I would still have scrapping lose you prestige, because I just KNOW that someone would be sad enough to sit around building and unbuilding for hours and hours.

However, while I like the idea, I have no idea if it would add to the game; I'll have to think about that one. And, of course, the devs get last say there. But as a concept, I like.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-09 23:38   
Let me ask you this:

How long does it take to build a skyscraper?

How long does it take to blow one up?

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-10 00:05   
Quote:

On 2011-04-09 23:38, JBud wrote:

months of careful planing and setting the charges in the right places.

Email Borgie
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-10 00:36   
1) You didn't answer my first question.

2) In a war situation, would you not build in the charges? In case of such an incursion to cause you to need to scrap the planet?

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-10 00:57   
Quote:

Let me ask you this:

How much prestige should one lose for killing 100 million people? I'm pretty sure any country will suffer bad reputation for destroying the skyscraper with the people still inside.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-10 01:06   
Quote:

On 2011-04-10 00:57, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
Quote:

Let me ask you this:

How much prestige should one lose for killing 100 million people? I'm pretty sure any country will suffer bad reputation for destroying the skyscraper with the people still inside.

Ever heard of evacuation?

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-10 03:51   
Quote:

On 2011-04-10 01:06, JBud wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Let me ask you this:

Visibly there are no E-vacs.
Statistically they die. No habitat, no food, the population number going down. If there was an E-Vac their morale shouldn't suffer, they just relocate.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-10 04:12   
Quote:

On 2011-04-10 03:51, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-10 01:06, JBud wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Let me ask you this:

Visibly there are no E-vacs.
Statistically they die. No habitat, no food, the population number going down. If there was an E-Vac their morale shouldn't suffer, they just relocate.

Use your imagination and think they evacuated in ships too small to see... Also, do you really think morale should stay high after an evacuation due to invasion?

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-04-10 04:31   
Quote:

On 2011-04-10 00:05, Borgie (if its red its dead) wrote:
Quote:

months of careful planing and setting the charges in the right places.

I do this for a living, currently in mining industry but not much I have not done.

With planning and setting - less than 40 minutes (heck you could do it in a few minutes if you wanna get neanderthal about it) - it;s all very repeatative. The time drain comes with not damaging surrounding environment or structures (That ain;t my area of expertise ). Where I work now if we have a problem or doubt we add more bomb!

I would rather all planets insta scrapped upon capture.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-10 04:53   
Quote:
Let me ask you this:

1. Years.
  2. If you didn't have any bomb set up inside the building, you will never blow it up without touching it unless it falls due to age and lack of maintainance.

I agree with Ent. I bet the engineer never place any bomb inside the structure on a planet. So scrap it from far far away seems to be fictional.
We have to use drones to build structure on planet, what do we use to scrap it? Bomb.

However, I consider that using bomb to destroy a structure on green planet in 1.6 drives us to insane. I think Ent solution is correct, build drone can be used to construct/disconstruct. The point is, how long. Half of the time seems to be too long, as when you want to modify it. A quarter is sensible.

Besides, this solution rises the role of command dread/station - which it awaits assigning long time ago.

Frisky Dingo
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-10 05:44   
lol. This is a joke right? Take an engineer into 10 ugto stats to scrap Fargo Rock before they capture it?

There is no logic to it. It simply will never be pulled off. You couldn't scrap a single building doing a reverse build before you were stardust. This doesn't tweak scorched Earth, this ends it.

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-04-10 05:49   
Quote:

with one B-767 hmmm i dont know. 10min maybe?

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-10 06:31   
Quote:

On 2011-04-10 05:44, Frisky Dingo wrote:
lol. This is a joke right? Take an engineer into 10 ugto stats to scrap Fargo Rock before they capture it?

There is no logic to it. It simply will never be pulled off. You couldn't scrap a single building doing a reverse build before you were stardust. This doesn't tweak scorched Earth, this ends it.

Command Dreads and Command Stations also have builds.

The fact remains that being able to scrap a structure from anywhere in the universe instantly remains logically imbalanced against hours worth of work into building a planet. It also takes alot of bombs themselvs to be able to even destroy a structure in the first place. Think about this special bit for a second.

It takes alot lot lot of bombs to blow up just one structure, what kind of device is used to destroy one instantly, for every and any structure on any friendly planet, regardless of technology or any other factor. And why can't this device be just simply dropped on said structure? It should be mighty powerful enough to do a hell alot more damage than our pitiful bombs.

I agree that it should take less time to destroy a structure than to build one. However, we can all agree that at least someone should be logically close enough with the right tools to actually blow that structure up. That should make sense to even the most stubborn person.

-Ent

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021627 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR