No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » station/plat
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author station/plat
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-05 07:19   
Quote:

On 2011-07-04 08:23, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
A little thread necromancy here.

With 1.670 coming and depots getting nerfed to hell, I tht I would resurrect this thread somewhat.

But no, it's not abt some immobile station plat or pseudo-planet. I remember some time back, we were discussing abt having SYs being made into orbital platforms instead of being planetbound cuz well, these ships aren't supposed to be atmospheric capable are they?

Plus, Draf had that rather neat model of an SY platform. Unfortunatey, due to game mechanics and the way it was coded, ships can't spawn from other ship or plat entities.

So how abt a drydock repair plat instead. Something that reps yr ships up real fast. Something like what 12 depots used to do. Yeah yeah yeah, I know some of u will be saying that it'll bring back the rep spam days.

But what if the drydock could only accomodate 1 ship at a time? And that yr ship will be immobile and unable to fire while under repair. And that it'll take a ship 10 secs each to 'engage' or 'disengage' itself from the drydock and that the process, once initiated, would have to run till it's completion? And what if the drydock plat was as fragile as a regular supp plat? Plus it can only be built in planetary orbit and be untowable.

In other words, this plat would function as a strictly rear area facility due to its apparent drawbacks.

Just a thought. Feel free to agree or shoot it down.

[ This Message was edited by: Enterprise on 2011-07-05 07:21 ]

Why are people so hell bent on having super fast repair speeds?

I don't care about the limits. I don't care about the restrictions. Its a bad damn thing. After the past year of watching people go from 5% to 100% in less than a minute, I'm done with it.

You want to repair fast? Get your teammates to get off their sorry ass and get a Supply. Otherwise, there is nothing in the world to make me believe anything capable of even half of the ability depot planets have now is a good thing.

Yes UGTO, this is your fault especially. You abused this to hell and back and hell and back again to the point where I am sick of it on all three factions.

The days of quick repair should be over and done with now. No new additions, no workarounds, just back to a time where people's actions had consequences and when you got hurt you couldn't just run to a haven and jump back into the fight. You will be vulnerable. You will need your teammates. Thats far better for this game than anything close to this.

Nothing will sway me after one retarded battle after another where the enemy just ran someplace to repair, and that was the end of it. Never again.

It really is kind of a sorry thing that the second the Dev's realize a problem and get rid of it, four or five suggestions pop up trying to bring it back. You would think people would get the hint.

-Ent

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-05 11:08   
You do realize, Ent, that super fast rep rates will still be around in the new patch. It's only the planetary depots that are getting nerfed.

In other words, no more invincible, or near impossible to destroy, rep facility around a planet.

Supp plats still rep all the same, as do supp ships. They could very well spam 15 or 20 plats around a dico'ed planet and you'd still be facing a ship that could go from 5% to 100% hull in mere minutes.

The only diff is that the plats are easier to destroy than depots.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-07-05 11:08 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-05 11:47   
Quote:

On 2011-07-05 11:08, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
You do realize, Ent, that super fast rep rates will still be around in the new patch. It's only the planetary depots that are getting nerfed.

In other words, no more invincible, or near impossible to destroy, rep facility around a planet.

Supp plats still rep all the same, as do supp ships. They could very well spam 15 or 20 plats around a dico'ed planet and you'd still be facing a ship that could go from 5% to 100% hull in mere minutes.

The only diff is that the plats are easier to destroy than depots.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-07-05 11:08 ]

And that tends to make a world of difference.

The fact that also you can only have 30 platforms in a server tends to count too.

Wnat to try to make a literal minefield of platforms to try to repair your ship instantly? Go for it. You are easier to find, easier to kill, and easier to disable by miles.

Super fast repair rates beome extinct. You can't match 20 depots on a planet, unless you can bring on 10 supply ships and since its been made clear Stations will likely be outfitted with AoE repairs of their own, don't count on Station spam.

Super fast rep rates are possible but improbable. Lets keep it that way shall we?

-Ent

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-05 12:00   

Still doesn't explain how a specialized fast rep, but still vulnerable drydock platform would be a bad idea. It's basically just a super-plat. Nothing near a depot planet.

Anyway, I spent just one hour creating a simple model of what I think a UGTO drydock could look like.

Of course, I could use this model for other purposes, but just sayin'

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-05 13:17   
Kenny sound good. But one thing i have to say, Has to be in orbit of the Homeworlds (sag Hotha, Extherma, and Earth)

Email *FTL*Soulless
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-05 21:22   
and where is the place, the stations could dock ?

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-05 23:16   
Quote:

On 2011-07-05 13:17, Soulless *ADM* wrote:
Kenny sound good. But one thing i have to say, Has to be in orbit of the Homeworlds (sag Hotha, Extherma, and Earth)

Or "Tarran" planets only

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-05 23:32   
Quote:

On 2011-07-05 23:16, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-05 13:17, Soulless *ADM* wrote:

Or "Tarran" planets only

no cause then UGTO would cap all of them just for fast reps

Email *FTL*Soulless
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-07-06 02:07   
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 07:19, Enterprise wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-04 08:23, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
So how abt a drydock repair plat instead. Something that reps yr ships up real fast. Something like what 12 depots used to do. Yeah yeah yeah, I know some of u will be saying that it'll bring back the rep spam days.

But what if the drydock could only accomodate 1 ship at a time? And that yr ship will be immobile and unable to fire while under repair. And that it'll take a ship 10 secs each to 'engage' or 'disengage' itself from the drydock and that the process, once initiated, would have to run till it's completion? And what if the drydock plat was as fragile as a regular supp plat? Plus it can only be built in planetary orbit and be untowable.

Why are people so hell bent on having super fast repair speeds?

I don't care about the limits. I don't care about the restrictions. Its a bad damn thing. After the past year of watching people go from 5% to 100% in less than a minute, I'm done with it.

You want to repair fast? Get your teammates to get off their sorry ass and get a Supply. Otherwise, there is nothing in the world to make me believe anything capable of even half of the ability depot planets have now is a good thing.

First, waiting for repairing is boring, and repair someone is boring, too. Fast repair is acceptable.
Second, you want punishment to force player to make wise decision, then there is nothing to do with fast repair, but strict punishment for mistake.
Third, all 3 faction benefits depot. The true reason to have many depots on a planet is to repair hull fast.
Conclusion: fast repair is ok. We could apply EVA idea: dead ship disappears from garrage immediately, and player has to mine to archive it again.
Kenny idea is well, and is similar to most space movie we've seen. It's not brilliant but it's useful.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-06 13:50   
i'd suggest to add such a object next to the homegate
since enemys arent allowed there, you could be repaired in peace

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-07-06 13:53   
Quote:

On 2011-07-06 02:07, chlorophyll wrote:

Fast repair is acceptable.

Conclusion: fast repair is ok.

Ugh....No its not.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

An Fiach
Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-06 14:17   
Quote:

On 2011-07-06 02:07, chlorophyll wrote:

First, waiting for repairing is boring, and repair someone is boring, too. Fast repair is acceptable.
Second, you want punishment to force player to make wise decision, then there is nothing to do with fast repair, but strict punishment for mistake.
Third, all 3 faction benefits depot. The true reason to have many depots on a planet is to repair hull fast.
Conclusion: fast repair is ok. We could apply EVA idea: dead ship disappears from garrage immediately, and player has to mine to archive it again.
Kenny idea is well, and is similar to most space movie we've seen. It's not brilliant but it's useful.

Fast repair results in little fear of death for veteran players and makes large ships too prevalent and valued less.

Also, if the ship is destroyed, there goes the business model that keeps the game afloat. People won't keep buying enhancements if they are going to lose them right away.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-07-06 17:12   
Ow..... i just had an idea, what if we made some really large stations that can be captured like planets and dont move....i know kinda random but the idea just struck me and i dident want to forget it.

Disclaimer: i have abosolutly no idea how this would fit into the current design, just some food for thought.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-07-06 21:06   
Quote:

On 2011-07-06 14:17, An Fiach wrote:
Fast repair results in little fear of death for veteran players and makes large ships too prevalent and valued less.

Also, if the ship is destroyed, there goes the business model that keeps the game afloat. People won't keep buying enhancements if they are going to lose them right away.

There are ways to work around that. Devs could offer lower cost single use enh.

For example, a standard blue enh now costs 800 and has 20 dura points.

If we were to make them single death items, their cost could be divided accordingly + a adding a bit of levy; ie 60 for a single use blue enh? Ditto the rest of the enh.

If you think you're gonna need it, pay the full 800. Otherwise, pay 60 to try it out once. Yes, 60 creds is more expensive than the 40 creds per dura of the standard item, but that's like economies of scale for you.

An Fiach
Admiral

Posted: 2011-07-06 23:50   
Well I sure wouldn't buy it

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023005 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR