No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Allow more accurate Bombing
 Author Allow more accurate Bombing
mOno.
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 10:15   
With the recent decrease of bomb damage it takes so many bombs just to kill infantery, that the planets population and technology falls down alot.

I would prefer a tech-drop only when research building get hit, and a pop-drop only when domes get hit. Population may also drop if other building get hit where they work, but not on free unbuild spots on a planet. On a barren planet the population is living in domes and not on all over the planets surface. On terran planets only the population inside dome may be protected from bombing free spots.

By that players can decide what they want to bomb. Players can decide if they want tech-drop or kill population.

This would also cause unaimed bombing on a non scanned planet from far away to do nearly no important damage.

Also, currently planetary siege missiles explode on their own after something around 800 gu. Dont know if this is wanted, they can still be fired from far far away.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-15 12:41   
Quote:
On 2011-02-15 10:15, mOno. wrote:
With the recent decrease of bomb damage it takes so many bombs just to kill infantery, that the planets population and technology falls down alot.

There are conflicts in bombing development:
A) Decrease bomb range to put the bomber inside the dico range. PSM is nerfed.
B) Double the structure's HP.
I agree that put the bomber in dangerous zone is a good plan to adjust the atmosphere. However, I don't understand the reason to double the structure's HP.
First, bomb is too slow and can be destroyed.
Second, bomber is weak.
1+2 = impossible to bomb when there is a combat ship protecting a planet. I heard "teamwork" from dev team but I see the unreasonable development. When the team is big enough to protect the bomber, is it clear that the bomber affords to leisurely bomb regardless bomb range and power?
In 1.5, it requires 6 mirv to destroy a barrack, 3 volleys from a bomber frigate. In 1.6 it requires 12 mirv+, more than 6 volleys from a bomber fri. Keep in mind that building a barracks takes 20 seconds. Therefore, you won't bomb if you are not in command dread or is guiding by a station cause you don't want to jump in jump out so often. Then where is the reason to put bomber in danger when it always works in safety?

I myself bombed some planets and it's so hilarious that even I did my best to destroy all the inf at fastest time, the planet was captured before I succeeded. I ended up bombing green planet several times. Mirv and Bio is somewhat useful. TK and Neutrol on the other hands, deserves forgotten forever. Shield no longer blocks mirv or TK anymore. PSM, I tried one time, seemed to do no damage, WTH. Oh I nearly forget the bomber fighter, 40 seconds reload with 2 bombs - what a joke!

My suggestion:
1/ Bomb range can be decreased further to put the bomber works within the influence range (thus it gets damaged when it is able to bomb), but in exchange, bomb must not be destroyed by PD. In general, bomb should be a torp-planet-version: short range, powerful, splash when explode, indestructible, rich ammo (20+).
2/ Enhanced bomber: less beams, more cannons to defend itself or missles to attack enemy & cover bombs (if bomb is still a pod). Bomber ship is tough enough to survive during close to medium combat.

It ought to encourage bomber to engage.
Quote:
On 2011-02-15 10:15, mOno. wrote:
I would prefer a tech-drop only when research building get hit, and a pop-drop only when domes get hit. Population may also drop if other building get hit where they work, but not on free unbuild spots on a planet. On a barren planet the population is living in domes and not on all over the planets surface. On terran planets only the population inside dome may be protected from bombing free spots.

By that players can decide what they want to bomb. Players can decide if they want tech-drop or kill population.

Logical. But hard to implement I bet.

A bit off topic. Until now, there is no trace to judge what def base is good. I know the percentage per def adds to the planet, I wonder the strength of them. Bomb I and Def II both provides 5% PD, but does Def II do more damage? And how about Off I and Bomb II?

mOno.
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 13:13   
Destroying Dome kills 10 population now already. All that has to be done is remove the pop and tech death when bomb hit the planet on unbuild spots.

I bombed a planet with 2% PD only, 5 mirv on the ground below infantery, didnt even damge the infantery. After planet was capped 2 mirv killed them.
Seems like some very strange PD % calculation

Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 13:26   
But what about the farmers that coat every surface of the planet!

That's why pop goes down when you hit the middle of nowhere....or something...

mOno.
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 13:38   
Quote:

On 2011-02-15 13:26, Kaepora wrote:

I knew somone would come with this ...

Like I wrote before, this wont happen on a barren planet, simply because one can not farm there. Its like a Rock, the population has to live in domes and the food comes out of special facilitys. Only planet like terran or arid ... have population running around on the surface.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 17:38   
Quote:

On 2011-02-15 13:38, mOno. wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-15 13:26, Kaepora wrote:

I knew somone would come with this ...

Like I wrote before, this wont happen on a barren planet, simply because one can not farm there. Its like a Rock, the population has to live in domes and the food comes out of special facilitys. Only planet like terran or arid ... have population running around on the surface.

How about the random explorers and reckless teenagers!?

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-15 19:50   

... or the space bunnies that roam the boonies on that rock?

mOno.
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 10:20   
The bomb splash radius is very low. Just a few infantery standing above each other are larger than it. (see also: larger stacks are immortal)

With such a small radius the chance to hit a space bunny is very low, when they are only like 100 of them on a planet. So it should not be that every bomb kills a space bunny.

The fastest implementation would be to lower the pop and tech decrease per bomb to 0.

Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 11:14   
This is dumb, it makes sense that bombing the planet will kill people on the planet, MiRVs in real life are nuclear weapons, Neutron bombs are nuclear weapons that release enormous amounts of radiation killing all living things in an enormous area. Bio bombs, I'm assuming, are biological weapons, which would kill living organisms. Basicly the point is, all of the bombs used in this game are "weapons of mass destruction", and therefore will have far reaching affects across the entire planet. So it only makes sense that you would lose population.

Also, losing population makes you lose tech.
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-16 16:08   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 11:14, Cory_O wrote:
...Basicly the point is, all of the bombs used in this game are "weapons of mass destruction...

Which results in amusement when you realise that nuclear bombs are useless against warships, and you need more powerful weapons.

And then results in confusion when you realise that said weapons don't hurt planets.

Oh well, it's just a game, after all. If this game made any claims to realism I would most likely have an aneurysm.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 17:34   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 10:20, mOno. wrote:
The bomb splash radius is very low. Just a few infantery standing above each other are larger than it. (see also: larger stacks are immortal)

With such a small radius the chance to hit a space bunny is very low, when they are only like 100 of them on a planet. So it should not be that every bomb kills a space bunny.

The fastest implementation would be to lower the pop and tech decrease per bomb to 0.

Well those 100 space bunnies will...
multiply...
very quickly!

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-16 20:09   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 11:14, Cory_O wrote:
This is dumb, it makes sense that bombing the planet will kill people on the planet, MiRVs in real life are nuclear weapons, Neutron bombs are nuclear weapons that release enormous amounts of radiation killing all living things in an enormous area. Bio bombs, I'm assuming, are biological weapons, which would kill living organisms. Basicly the point is, all of the bombs used in this game are "weapons of mass destruction", and therefore will have far reaching affects across the entire planet. So it only makes sense that you would lose population.

Also, losing population makes you lose tech.

Yeah, theres more to nuclear bombs than the initial explosion. There's a shockwave, radiation, and dust (fallout) to deal with. The nasty radioactive particles get spread out pretty far.

But isn't a barren planet lacking an atmosphere and biosphere? Those effects wouldn't travel as far.

But as stated, it's a game, and it's fun to nuke all those little K'luthies off of okag and rafraue every once in a while .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 21:45   
hang on why are people trolling a perfectly reasonable thread.

(minus smallness issues or insecurity in ones abilitys to fly)

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-16 21:51   

First we gotta solve the problem of the stacked inf bug.

Y'know... the one where when inf is stacked sky high, your bomb takes out the inf on the surface and leave the rest floating in limbo, untouchable.

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-18 02:45   
lol this is great there no reason to bomb anymore just hover around the planet with a sup plat or ship, this game is so easy now. me i would love for them to bring back the old bombers lol.

line up at about 1500gu to planet center and just spam B until your about oh 24gu from planet or something like that come to a full stop or turn while keeping your bombs under you.

then............KABOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!!

whole planet dead with nothing on it. lol droped one inf have a buddy build it real quick and you do the same thing to the next planet.

so much fun

Page created in 0.026788 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR