No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Prestige gain rate
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Prestige gain rate
-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-16 22:03   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 09:07, Enterprise wrote:

Stuff

+1

Email -Shadowalker-™
Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-16 22:37   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 21:41, Strategery wrote:
I agree

I also think supply pres should be re-upped. I can't fathom a reason why it was nerfed, as it's the most thankless job in the game. People can build 20 depots and supply plats, so if a person decides to fly an itty-bitty supply into harms way they should be well rewarded for it.

I made my first 5 or so ranks in a supply ship, so I'd have to agree . I'm the kind of player that likes to hang back and help out others (a job you can't do in darkspace. You either get an assault ship/station or die) .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 23:05   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 22:37, Reznor wrote:
Quote:

I agree

I also think supply pres should be re-upped. I can't fathom a reason why it was nerfed, as it's the most thankless job in the game. People can build 20 depots and supply plats, so if a person decides to fly an itty-bitty supply into harms way they should be well rewarded for it.

I made my first 5 or so ranks in a supply ship, so I'd have to agree . I'm the kind of player that likes to hang back and help out others (a job you can't do in darkspace. You either get an assault ship/station or die) .

lol i made up to first rear in a supply ship.

have to tell you some guys have used me as a bomb back when supply ships were deadly to armor if they exploded.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-16 23:34   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 23:05, jamesbob wrote:

have to tell you some guys have used me as a bomb back when supply ships were deadly to armor if they exploded.

They were? Are they still?

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-16 23:49   
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 23:34, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 23:05, jamesbob wrote:

They were? Are they still?

nah but mind you it was before the new defence power system came in.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-17 00:11   
Quote:

I agree

Supply prestige was never nerfed. I was referencing the fact that the prestige hit of a ship upon death was lowered.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-17 03:39   
I'm reading a topic about "Method to encourage cruiser and smaller ships".
If you think prestige gain rate is high, there is an alternative method to couter it: increasing the prestige requirement. We'll have the list:
  • Midshipman: Starting Rank
  • Ensign: 100 Prestige
  • 2nd Lieutenant: 200 Prestige
  • 1st Lieutenant: 400 Prestige
  • Lieutenant Commander: 800 Prestige
  • Commander: 1600 Prestige
  • Captain: 3200 Prestige
  • 2nd Rear Admiral: 6400 Prestige
  • 1st Rear Admiral: 12800 Prestige
  • Vice Admiral: 25600 Prestige
  • Admiral: 51200 Prestige
  • Fleet Admiral: 102400 Prestige
  • Grand Admiral: 204800 Prestige
  • Marshal: 409600 Prestige
  • Chief Marshal: 819200 Prestige

How's that?
Oh, and we can also buff the medal much higher. Example:
Transport Awards
  • Bronze Transport: 50 Planets Captured
  • Silver Transport: 250 Planets Captured
  • Gold Transport: 1250 Planets Captured
  • Platinum Transport: 7250 Planets Captured

Any dread requires gold transport and any station requires platinum transport. Specific ship requires specific badge, i.e support station requires platinum badge. We have the list
Support Awards
  • Bronze Support: 123 Units Repaired
  • Silver Support: 1234 Units Repaired
  • Gold Support: 12345 s Units Repaired
  • Platinum Support: 123456 Units Repaired

How are you feeling now?

Remember, you gain prestige for a purpose and you keep playing DS for that purpose. Despite the rate of prestige gaining, the milestone is the goal, that's the nature of playing. If you complain combat gain so many prestige, we can set the combat rank to skyscrapper level: 1 million combat prestige to get the BS. Therefore, you won't stop playing when the dream to gets the BS is still there.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2011-02-17 03:47 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-17 03:47   
Quote:

On 2011-02-17 03:39, chlorophyll wrote:
If you think prestige gain rate is high, there is an alternative method to couter it: increasing the prestige requirement. We'll have the list:

How's that?
Transport Awards

Any dread requires gold transport and any station requires platinum transport. Specific ship requires specific badge, i.e support station requires platinum badge. We have the list
Support Awards
  • Gold Support: 12345 Units Repaired

How are you feeling now?

I've said this topic many times. Increasing prestige loss doesn't make this game better. DS needs more players, not less. If you desperately need a goal to reach, I say put the goal pretty much farther, so that you'll never see you reach it. At that time, people will cry "please buff the gain rate, please buff the gain rate" I bet.

ROFL. Nice.

I wonder how many CMs, Ms and GAs here will feel screwed over if this was implemented. All of a sudden they wouldn't be able to fly their big ships anymore. ROFL.

Me? I'm fine if this change was implemented. 'Cos everyone will be in the same boat as me! Bwahahaha.... And I can fly my Scarab again vs less dreads and stations. I can be feared once again!!

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-17 03:55   
Quote:

On 2011-02-17 03:47, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

How's that?
Transport Awards

Support Awards
  • Gold Support: 12345 Units Repaired

How are you feeling now?

I've said this topic many times. Increasing prestige loss doesn't make this game better. DS needs more players, not less. If you desperately need a goal to reach, I say put the goal pretty much farther, so that you'll never see you reach it. At that time, people will cry "please buff the gain rate, please buff the gain rate" I bet.

ROFL. Nice.

I wonder how many CMs, Ms and GAs here will feel screwed over if this was implemented. All of a sudden they wouldn't be able to fly their big ships anymore. ROFL.

Me? I'm fine if this change was implemented. 'Cos everyone will be in the same boat as me! Bwahahaha.... And I can fly my Scarab again vs less dreads and stations. I can be feared once again!!

about the only thing i hate about that idea is its stupid its insane it takes no account into people who have not got these ships.

and take a good guess about how many people would play if they got screwed over like this.

come on take a good guess give us a rough estimate.

try you would more then likely be playing by your self period.

and as to the please buff the gain rate perdiction. if everyone or 75 percent leaves whos going to be arround to complain. (expecpt trolls and lobby rats.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-17 04:22   
ROFL of course I know that. I was just kidding.

Anyway, I don't think something as extreme as what Chloro mentioned will be implemented LOL. The vets are what they are at their rank. Nothing can change that. Devs can only fix the progression of the newer players. Ultimately we'll all be playing Dreadspace anyway. More so later than now.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-17 07:05   
I doubt your humor intuition, jamesbob.

Strictly say, why shall people quit this game when the requirements get higher? When you break any archivement in game, you've beaten the game. There is nothing more to try - which what Marshal and Chief Marshal feel.

Whether the prestige gain rate is fast or slow, depends on 2 factors: the reward and the milestone. Is gaining 500-1000 prestige in an hour high? Yes, if the milestone is short, as with the current milestone. But with insane milestone I mock above, no it's slow. Until now, the adjustment has changed the first factor - the reward. The effect is the same if you keep the first factor and adjust the second factor - the milestone. It's all about total work on a certain time.

The idea isn't stupid, it only needs adjustment. Remember, you gain prestige for what purpose.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2011-02-17 07:08 ]

Dakili
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-17 11:49   
So i just made some calculations to look up how much time it could take.

If we say for vice Admiral 25 000 (I removed 500 pres to be able to calculate better)

We take the best minimal value per hour which is 500 pres an hour. Which is high like you said. If someone plays 5 hour a day, he will make around 2500 pres a day. So after 10 days of intense gaming and everything, he will be vice admiral. This is, if he plays 5 hour per day, and make 500 pres an hour. Somehow, I doub't anyone lower then VA could make 500 pres an hour especially in these times. I don't think that increasing the pres for the ranks is the idea. I just made it the FA (Which took me some time) and I'll be back to where i was before (Admiral) which is not a big lose but still.

I think the problem is not that. Like some said above, se should instead, reduce the prestige gain from the hull instead of armor/shield. I don't make a lot of prestige from hurting someone's shields or armor. It's the hull. Whenever you rank up, you get a better ship (or not) and do more damage which gives you more prestige. So as time goes up and your rank, your prestige gain too. So it's easier to make prestige as you rank up.

We should only lower the prestige gain from the hull and let it the same for armor/shields so the newbies can get some prestige.

And I think we should too, add more prestige loss from deaths. I remember when i started to play, even dying with a small ship would make me go mad. Nowadays people don't care about dying even in stations. Stations are supposed to be massive, and almost unkillable and have a gigantic crew inside of them. So people would just go there and blow up themself with all the crew? I'm not sure but stations probably have around 1500-2000 crew member? You'd really follow your captain if he was saying:

"Hey folks! Let's go blow ourself on that dread! Will be funny!"

I don't remember who said it but 1000 pres loss from a station death seems to be right for me. I've died maybe once or twice with my station and even if I the pres lost was implanted, i would still have made some significiant pres. (Yeah I try to die not often. A habit from the old times)

PS: Oh and PLEASE!!!!! Fix the damn Inf Stack bug! Really annoying when trying to bomb and the stack is just stuck there until someone sends a inf.

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-17 18:25   
Quote:

On 2011-02-17 07:05, chlorophyll wrote:
I doubt your humor intuition, jamesbob.

Strictly say, why shall people quit this game when the requirements get higher? When you break any archivement in game, you've beaten the game. There is nothing more to try - which what Marshal and Chief Marshal feel.

Whether the prestige gain rate is fast or slow, depends on 2 factors: the reward and the milestone. Is gaining 500-1000 prestige in an hour high? Yes, if the milestone is short, as with the current milestone. But with insane milestone I mock above, no it's slow. Until now, the adjustment has changed the first factor - the reward. The effect is the same if you keep the first factor and adjust the second factor - the milestone. It's all about total work on a certain time.

The idea isn't stupid, it only needs adjustment. Remember, you gain prestige for what purpose.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2011-02-17 07:08 ]

humorious intention what humorious intention i was being dead serious.

and chloro this is not the first time you suggested something simmlar only to have it shot down.

you keep going way to big in your suggestion of changes their fore they rarely get considered (unless someone is trolling)

baby steps please baby steps.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-17 19:31   
Quote:

How's that?
Transport Awards

Support Awards
  • Gold Support: 12345 s Units Repaired

How are you feeling now?

Remember, you gain prestige for a purpose and you keep playing DS for that purpose. Despite the rate of prestige gaining, the milestone is the goal, that's the nature of playing. If you complain combat gain so many prestige, we can set the combat rank to skyscrapper level: 1 million combat prestige to get the BS. Therefore, you won't stop playing when the dream to gets the BS is still there.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2011-02-17 03:47 ]

The only problem is:
After a few good ole months, we have the majority of players high ranked again. After a year most will have slaved for badges. Great, so now we have dreadspace again. What will we do? Ramp up admiral to 2 million prestige? Gold tranny 100000 planets capped? So EVEN THE AI couldn't legally fly a dread?
If I was a newb and found out I needed 51k prestige with nerfed rates while half of the population can sit away happily shooting at other dreads, I seriously would go play an MMORPG to dedicate my time. This is an action game, and considering the average new player has an attention span of non-combat for 5 minutes, they would leave.

tl;dr:
Ramping up ranks only temporarily solves the problem. One day, even if it takes 10 years, everyone will be in dreads again. So, your solution would probably be to keep raising it, which discourages the newbie and casual player.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-17 21:03   
As Ent said. The fix is to raise the pres loss for ships. Make it scale geometrically according to size.

It could be
(eg. Scout -> Frig -> Des -> Cruiser -> Dread -> Station)
Geometric pres loss
100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

(Tranny/Supp/Engi -> Their heavy versions)
150, 300

Lose a dread? That's 1600 pres down the drain.
Lose a station? 3200 for you! Let's see you suicide 2 or 3 stations tonight, buddy!!

Whine about pres loss?
Screw you, buddy. ROFL. How about playing more carefully? Or even better... go pull out a cruiser, and not a station all the time?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-02-17 21:05 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022604 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR