No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Planet Capping system
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author New Planet Capping system
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2011-02-14 08:04   
well,for my 2 cents...

I would rather have planets go back to the way they were in 480.Killer def,32 points (diamonds) per planet and 32 inf per planet max (either faction or a mix,couldnt exceed 32 inf).IN those days you HAD to have teamwork.a supply ,a bomber,some combat and eccm/ecm ships.1 person couldnt sit and cap a planet solo.Planets would actually reach out and touch you and make you cry mommy.You made the game to easy and too boring.It was F U N back then,just had lag to deal with.Man I miss those days when combat was actually combat, you actually EARNED your pres ,ships were fairly balanced,factions were fairly equal and modding took a lil time and thought.and spawning from nearest gate to a system your faction owned gate reason to defend planets/systems.And they say progress is good.......

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-14 08:25   
Quote:

On 2011-02-11 21:51, Fatal Ants (XO) wrote:
Does anyone else "Hate" this?
The new what faction has the most players’ wins system takes away all challenges to capping the entire system.
I have seen a huge player reduction since this patch,

Meh.

i half hate it. It seems like its half done. There are other issues that just don't seem to be working out.

Example: A station, CD, supply can't outcap a kluth drone.

wtf is that?

Maybe lag, maybe buged, idk, idc, its just plain aweful at the moment.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-14 08:49   
Quote:

On 2011-02-14 08:25, Azreal wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-11 21:51, Fatal Ants (XO) wrote:
Does anyone else "Hate" this?
The new what faction has the most players’ wins system takes away all challenges to capping the entire system.
I have seen a huge player reduction since this patch,

Meh.

i half hate it. It seems like its half done. There are other issues that just don't seem to be working out.

Example: A station, CD, supply can't outcap a kluth drone.

wtf is that?

Maybe lag, maybe buged, idk, idc, its just plain aweful at the moment.

The base regeneration that infantry give is equiv to about 3 ships.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-14 09:14   
and when an entire rack of fighters does 1/3 damage to a single inf, its just impossible to do anything with three ships. Hell, ai alone makes it impossible.

I guess it is an ok system when there is some server pop. I guess for those on in off'peak hours its a combat only game.

Or maybe bombs and fighters could actually work again. That's an idea.

But for some reason, bombing has been the pits for over two years now. Made to be that way, and supposedly its a better system.

Ill just stick to combat like I have for the last year. At least that doesn't feel like I have a dev over my shoulder laughing as often.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-14 09:14   
Theres one thing that still missing.

backslash, are there any plans on changing the defence bases? What are teh plans on changing them?

And last, when or what priority do planets have?

Alcedo
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-02-14 10:52   
Quote:

On 2011-02-14 09:14, Azreal wrote:

Ill just stick to combat...

Same way I feel.

Email Alcedo
Specterx
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-15 00:55   
The new capping system is silly. Ditto for the completely nerfed defense bases. Once upon a time it took numbers, skills and strategy to take a planet, and certain clusters posed real tactical problems; now it's just boring "wait for the number to count down" and drawing straws to see who gets stuck with bombing/cleanup duty.

I can't imagine why this was done, why the devs would choose to move yet another notch away from strategic skill-based gameplay to mindless shoot-em-up. But then, I thought the game was near-perfect around 2002 and that all changes since then have sucked, except for new content additions (ships, platforms etc.).

Remember when the Kluth had no armor?

Email Specterx   Goto the website of Specterx
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 01:01   
On the flip side it will be easier to level alts and new players at badges.
And teaching could never get easier.

Newb: How do I capture or bomb planets?

Old Way: *Goes into complicated description of cloud bombing, ecm, cover ecm for bombs, point defense, and infantry* *Newb may leave very confused*

Today: Oh just turn around in circles around an enemy planet, make sure to have some allies with you. And for bombing, you get a bomber, target a building, and spam the "B" key.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-15 08:50   
Actually its simpler, use bomber, sit 500gu outside planet, make the tech lower then 70-80. Go in, spam AI to planet. ( don't really need to sit 500gu from planet either for the moment )

Go watch some telly or other stuff u might want to do..and come back to a perfect capped planet.

Then clap yourself on your shoulder and say, " GOOD JOB!"

mOno.
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-15 10:00   
I do not have all required information about how bad the old performance/lag was and why, but I think there should be other solutions for that that work with the old defense system. (nothing is impossible)

One solution may be:

make the defense lasers, missiles and cannons centered "inside" the planet. Less strategy when building (same like now) but only 1 point scanning for enemys. (I guess the old performance was low because any building was scanning for enemys on its own?) Should not use more performance than an AI ship then. Or a MD orbiting the planet to spam missiles. By that the planet is just like a strong Platform with a number of weapons depending on the buildings on it.

Im not sure how much performcan it would take to use a 4 side system for the planet (like ships have) to keep the building strategy part.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-15 10:28   
We will not be going back to the old system, end of. The CPU load put onto the servers by the planet PD was getting to the point where we couldn't turn a blind eye, as it was impeeding the gameplay.

To those saying there must be another way - there isn't. The system was as optimised as it could be, with planets having to scan the local area for incoming projectiels that they're capable of shooting down, not to mention checking for if the base was on the other side of the planet, range, etc. This all going on for every update to the server, for every defence base, as was required.

Point defence on planets also impacted design decisions on weapons and ships, because we knew some of the missiles around a planet might be shot down (was also why the PSM was so powerful).

Again, the old system will not be returning, so don't expect lasers shooting down missiles and bombs anytime soon. What we can do is refine the existing system better, but that takes time, which we are limited on.

I would suggest reading this for why.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.019684 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR