No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Planet Capping system
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author New Planet Capping system
Ants
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-11 21:51   
Does anyone else "Hate" this?
The new what faction has the most players’ wins system takes away all challenges to capping the entire system.
I have seen a huge player reduction since this patch,

Meh.

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-11 22:23   
Quote:

On 2011-02-11 21:51, Fatal Ants (XO) wrote:
The new what faction has the most players’ wins system takes away all challenges to capping the entire system.

Meh.

well a lot of people did point out that this would happen as most would rather put up with the lag then have planets that are useless at defending against anything larger then a frigate.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-12 00:18   
Beta pushed to release to fast imho.

To be expected when beta lacks the people needed to actualy test anything.

If you hate it, just give the devs some time to tweek it out. Im sure this is not what they had in mind.

imho this system will never be right untill i cannot bomb a planet without being in its engagment range.

If planets still engaged at 1000gu, the same as dicto feilds, but you could only bomb from 900gu, and cap from 500gu, the system will fair way better.

ive even come to terms with damage done up to the cruiser level.. but for dreads of the non assault genra, and stations, damage delt by the planet is still too low.

(at least on every planet ive come across)

As for numbers wins, i think the defending force should get double points per ship in orbit twords keeping the planet. They are, afterall, the defenders. (this step could come later...maby a dumb idea... just throwing it out there)

overall i think adjusting ranges would be a big + to the system...

Most important thing to remember, is the staff likes to tweek things in small ammounts, not leaps and bounds. Hang in there

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*FTL* on 2011-02-12 00:20 ]

Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-12 01:40   
I've not seen any issue with bombing IN planetary range, considering how little damage they do.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-12 07:52   
Quote:

Meh.

As compared to the flawless dynamics of the previous system. You don't really need me to go into how stupid easy it was to capture a planet before do I?

At least now it takes time.

And thats the thing, I think planet capturing can move into a more dynamic role. The foundation is set, now its time to refine it.

For people saying it should have been in beta longer, Beta is for bugs, Release is for testing. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid, but when your average player count in the MV is 40 people dont' expect much testing to get done otherwise. Testing cannot be accurately done except in what I Like to call "live fire" exercises. And Beta just doesn't cut it for that, and never will. Its too staged. You find all the real exploits and problems in the real game because thats where people are in that live fire and are forced to make strategic and tactical decisions.

So enough of that.

Secondly, I agree that just ships being able to capture a planet shouldn't be enough, but I still want them to contribute. A good short term fix would be to boost the control value of infantry, boost the infantry power of the infantry that owns the planet, and make the minimum capture time fifteen minutes.

That should solve alot of the short term issues I have with it anyways. Simply transport rushing won't win (because attack power of defending infantry should be much greater, at least double), simply throwing ships wont be enough (32 inf should = 10 ships), and bombing wont be enough (because defending players will kill you).

So you need a mixture of vessels to really capture a planet in that fifteen minute window. You need attacking ships to protect transports that drop inf after most of the infantry on the planet has been killed. You could yes then, just bomb all the enemy inf off, but that isn't easy with just one defending ship.

Thats challenging isn't it? But no, most people will say thats too hard.

As usual, most of the playerbase will always be too hard to satisfy because one side will always want it too easy, the other side will want it too hard.

-Ent

Alcedo
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-02-12 08:57   
Quote:

On 2011-02-12 07:52, Saint Valentine wrote:

... A good short term fix would be to boost the control value of infantry...

+1

Email Alcedo
Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-12 15:37   
Quote:

On 2011-02-12 08:57, *Alcedo* wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-12 07:52, Saint Valentine wrote:

... A good short term fix would be to boost the control value of infantry...

+1

Do people sway thier loyalties because of the giant ships in orbit....or the guy pointing a gun at thier head .

Either way, I sympathise with the billions of pop that die every day in the name of....well arent we supposed to be fighting for these people instead of razing thier homes cuz they switch sides so easily?

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-12 15:37   
I have actually seen more players this version.

As for the planet capture system, it is more practical. If you have a blockade in orbit, you own that planet, the game merely acknowledges that fact now. It could use some tweaking, but it is quite sound.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Bombg
Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-12 17:03   
I like the new system because it's more fluid. You don't have to wait around for someone to get a bomber to take a planet. The problem remains (since before the capping change), that planets are largely considered to not have much value. No one is ever angry, sad, or excited that a planet has been taken. It's usually just "meh".
The other large glaring problem is player imbalance. More often then not one side will have the numerical superiority and flex their might while the other factions try to pick off a few stragglers. Which usually means that fighting over planets is usually a one sided battle. I've been on both sides of this and it's boring on both ends because you have no one to fight, or you face impossible odds.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-12 18:18   
What ive noticed with the new system is that many players gather around a planet to cap it, or use the ais.

The problem is that usaly we wait for the planet to be capped, then bomb the infs away. Because its easier this way. (Most of the time it takes abit of time, because no one got bomber

Secund problem is that the best vessel to cap planets are stations, so the station spam is big.

I also noticed that many oribt the planet, and rotate. After alittle while we get bored and go do other stuff..tv etc. It cinda takes away the fun, because we need to wait for an excact time. And Ent mentioned 15 minutes, thats just way to long.
The solution is not to make the time longer or shorter, its how you cap the planet that should be changed. Maybe the bombs bomb down the control?

I do think planet should be bosted the damage they do, maybe tweak it so bigger ships gets more damage.

The range of the planet defence is also an problem. You can sit outside the planet range and bomb it down without taking damage.

The requirements for defence structures on planets are abit high aswell, planets that have Shipyard usaly have to little defence. Building planets have changed, and no one use sensor bases anymore. Simple fact is that with four tech buildings and high requirements on defence, makes the option to add stuff on the planet very difficult.

I also think its time to make the tech requirements for operating structures half of what it is now. Tier II bases needs 80 tech, and thats high. Backslash mention we need Tier II bases to get best defence, but as evryone know, to compensate the tech and so on the planet will be extremly easy to take down, some bombs on and the tech goes down and planet is open. Also should remove tech loss from population reduction. And please dont say, add more tech buildings. if you have more then 100+ tech, the planet gets realy weak.

[ This Message was edited by: Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] on 2011-02-12 18:23 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-12 19:50   
planets are just as useless as they where before this system. now i noticed when the planet does have working defence, it doesn't do anywhere near enough damage as it should.

Email Borgie
jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-13 00:24   
Quote:

On 2011-02-12 18:18, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:

I do think planet should be bosted the damage they do, maybe tweak it so bigger ships gets more damage.

The range of the planet defence is also an problem. You can sit outside the planet range and bomb it down without taking damage.

The requirements for defence structures on planets are abit high aswell, planets that have Shipyard usaly have to little defence. Building planets have changed, and no one use sensor bases anymore. Simple fact is that with four tech buildings and high requirements on defence, makes the option to add stuff on the planet very difficult.

I also think its time to make the tech requirements for operating structures half of what it is now. Tier II bases needs 80 tech, and thats high. Backslash mention we need Tier II bases to get best defence, but as evryone know, to compensate the tech and so on the planet will be extremly easy to take down, some bombs on and the tech goes down and planet is open. Also should remove tech loss from population reduction. And please dont say, add more tech buildings. if you have more then 100+ tech, the planet gets realy weak.

[ This Message was edited by: Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] on 2011-02-12 18:23 ]

yeah well i have suggested some of that constantly all that happened is the bombs have been nerfed.

we all know that defence firepower is not enough not even close (so its still getting increased little by litte)

but seriously i am getting this feeling that the devs care more about nerfing the presentige then getting the defence system right.

last 3 patchs combat presentige nerfed.

hotfix for one of those. defence power increased (what by 0.1 percent THEY STILL TICKLE)

anti ship bases provide no real pd at all and are sadly laughable at damaging ships.

pd bases just increase the pd percentage and do even less damage against ships then the antiship base.

if the devs insist on not fixing defence firepower may i request that they kindly remove point defence bases and anti ship bases out of the build tree as people are using defence bases now they are much more effective against ships and at protecting planets.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-13 01:57   
Planet control should not go down unless;

1. you have bombed off some of its inf.
2. or you have dropped your own inf.
3. or you have a bomber in orbit. (dedicated bomber, not modded mD/staton)

I think this, in conjunction with my last suggestion of range tweeks, would go a long way to making this system both more fun, as well as tilt the scales away from using statios to capture planets.

Also reduce station cargo hold to 6, 8 at the max. Station is good at alot of stuff, but master of none.. exept transport for some reason...

Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-02-13 02:31   
Quote:

On 2011-02-12 00:18, Defiance*FTL* wrote:
Beta pushed to release to fast imho.

To be expected when beta lacks the people needed to actualy test anything.

If you hate it, just give the devs some time to tweek it out. Im sure this is not what they had in mind.

imho this system will never be right untill i cannot bomb a planet without being in its engagment range.

If planets still engaged at 1000gu, the same as dicto feilds, but you could only bomb from 900gu, and cap from 500gu, the system will fair way better.

ive even come to terms with damage done up to the cruiser level.. but for dreads of the non assault genra, and stations, damage delt by the planet is still too low.

(at least on every planet ive come across)

As for numbers wins, i think the defending force should get double points per ship in orbit twords keeping the planet. They are, afterall, the defenders. (this step could come later...maby a dumb idea... just throwing it out there)

overall i think adjusting ranges would be a big + to the system...

Most important thing to remember, is the staff likes to tweek things in small ammounts, not leaps and bounds. Hang in there

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*FTL* on 2011-02-12 00:20 ]

When you mention adjusting ranges are you referring to lessening the range of eccm..... that was brilliant :/

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
xo3sonicfan102
Captain

Posted: 2011-02-13 03:32   
Quote:

Meh.

i find the new capping system "easier"

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025430 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR