No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » platform limit
 Author platform limit
Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-02-08 14:54   
no i understand that there must be a limit to platforms for oh so obvoius reasons. but limit of 30 overall is pretty low. well i wasnt turnon whole forum over to find any thread about it but im just wondering if anyone think the same or would find this idea usefull. to make platform limits per system...let say...10. and each planet in that system under builders control would increase limit for i dunno...10? 15?
here are my reasons why:

as far as i've seen. planets are like big balls that farts toward you if you get to close... practicly cant really stand a chance on its own so it would need some defensive platform around. aaay??
im mean planets are like hookers, they get banged so many times daily its ridiciouls.

so what do you say? wouldnt it be nice to give the planets back their diginity?

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-08 15:05   
Love your analogy, lol.

But wouldn't actually giving planets some range/damage increases be a better fix?

Then again, with the "Lower" server load, we really should get factional platform increases. I for one love using builder dreads to make a forward repair post in space to aid in capping a system where we have no foothold. But if you also have plats defending back home, you're efforts are gimped.

Unless you go back and tow some into the planet.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-02-08 15:25   
Althought it would be nice to have more platforms, is it really a good idea?

For people playing DS on slower machines, such as myself, they create a notisable amount of video lag. Normally when theres few ships around and I'm around a small cluster of planets, my frame rate is already only about 30fps. When there is close to the max number of plats in existance around that same area my frame rate goes down to about 5fps, which is normally what its like during a multi-ship dogfight.

I'm not sure what kind of server/newtork load plats cause...

What I'm saying is if the max number of plats is increased and they're all built in the same place, is the game going to be super laggy? Video and network wise?

- SGK

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-08 16:25   
Quote:

On 2011-02-08 15:25, SpaceGK wrote:
Althought it would be nice to have more platforms, is it really a good idea?

For people playing DS on slower machines, such as myself, they create a notisable amount of video lag. Normally when theres few ships around and I'm around a small cluster of planets, my frame rate is already only about 30fps. When there is close to the max number of plats in existance around that same area my frame rate goes down to about 5fps, which is normally what its like during a multi-ship dogfight.

I'm not sure what kind of server/newtork load plats cause...

What I'm saying is if the max number of plats is increased and they're all built in the same place, is the game going to be super laggy? Video and network wise?

- SGK

a lot of people are thinking the server is causing theses problems with graphic lag.

i thought so to untill i swaped out my agp card.

lots of people use slower computers on this game as such i believe the big fat casim between graphic and server lag has been insanely blured. not all problems are caused by the server sometimes it us players that cause them on our side.

@ sgk personally i find only when you got carriers and missle dreads firing lag generating missles and fighters at each other is when the server is the problem.

[ This Message was edited by: jamesbob on 2011-02-08 16:27 ]

Admiral C. Wilson
Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-08 18:34   
Well if a planet had only 5 plats or even 10 plats, they woldnt last that long to kill any thing do to long range ICC, Sneak up behind you Kluth and Station spam Ugto. I could kill like 40 of the things and come out with sheilds at may be 70% in my combat dread. Stations would just roll over them. Only ship that mite lose is like a scout and a frigate. Even then they could wipe them all out with minor damage. I would have to say this would be under farming. And thats what AI are for. Go idea at first. If the plats were made to more deadlyer then it mite be diffrent.

-Admiral C. Wilson

Email Admiral C. Wilson
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-08 18:57   
Platforms are basically stripped down ships, and the platform limit is per-faction. So that's 3 factions, times 30 platforms, that is 90 extra ships for the server to track weapons fire, location (Yes, even though they don't move,) Hull and Armor/Shield damage, System Damage, Energy, all of that needs to be tracked by the server, and the more platforms you add, the higher the strain.

A limit of 30 is completely reasonable.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-08 20:09   
Pretty much what JBud said.

Page created in 0.014779 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR