No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » One armor plate per facing?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author One armor plate per facing?
Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-07 01:56   
I recall some time ago mention that there were thoughts of nerfing repair rates to counter the ease of UGTO/K'luth station spam (UGTO do it better) . As it was explained to me, drones would only heal one armor plate at a time, but I don't know if this was abandoned or thrown out.

But here's my idea: Each facing gets only one armor gadget. It has HP equal to the 2/3 that is normally there, but is in one gadget for the purpose of reducing repair rates at depot planets.

We've all seen a UGTO station sit at a depot planet and be nigh invincible. Why? It has one armor gadget for all face directions (Goes down fast, and stays down), but then 2 behind it for each face direction. What happens is the depot repairs all of these faces at the same time at the same rate.

Essentially, 8 armor gadgets are repaired at the same time at the same rate, which is a massive amount of armor HP recouped per second.

If they had one plate per facing, the HP gained per second would be cut in half, but maintain the same HP amount.

Ships would last the same amount of time in battle, but repair armor faster. Your hull would repair at the same rate. Most of the time your armor is fixed in a fraction of the time compared to hull anyway.

Other ideas I'm throwing out (for better or worse) are giving all stations (except the ICC shielded one, so that it can rotate shields) multi-facing armor gadgets, possibly more stacks (3-6 rings worth?) , maybe even armor that faces in 2 directions instead of 1.

Honest appraisal of my idea is welcome (minus flames, thank you ) .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-02-07 04:41   
This idea would mean that enemy fire reaches the hull, but you have probably forgotten that hull is repaired alongwith armor, meaning that you get more prestige for hull damage, but you still cannot beat the station because it regenerates armor AND hull.

May I also draw your attention to the balancing dificulties for smaller ships if your idea was implemented. Scouts would, according to this idea, gain 33% more armor strength (they have 1 armor per facing, but the idea is meant for dual-armored ships, so they get 2/3 * 2 = 1.33). Same goes for frigates which have armor in particular directions to make them vulnerable.

A, perhaps better, solution would be to restrict repair rate based on number of devices acting on a ship. Ex - 1 drones has 100% efficiency, 2 have 90% * 2 (i.e. 180% total), 3 have 80% * 3 and so on. Mathematicians notice that this system makes any more than 5 repair drones useless (60*5=50*6).

Good work, Reznor

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-07 08:05   
Already planned to be changed, and this system isn't it. Sorry.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-07 10:51   
Having one armour plate per facing would pose some issues for ships that have, for example, extra front armour and less rear armour. You'd need an extra set of 50% armour plates, which adds to complexity moreso than simply doubling-up on the current plates.

I believe there was talk (speaking unofficially, since I don't have any hand in it) of giving certain repair devices an area of effect rather than a targeted repair, reducing the ability to focus hundreds of reloads on one target. Whether they will stack or whether they will have a finite repair rate that's divided between all targets or how much ammo they will have or whether they will consume power I have no idea.

Or, in short: See Jack's reply above.

*Flash*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-07 16:16   
i`ll play with no armor if u give me cloak for my EAD.

[ This Message was edited by: *Flash* on 2011-02-07 16:20 ]

Email *Flash*
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-02-07 19:48   
Quote:

On 2011-02-07 16:16, *Flash* wrote:

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-07 22:00   
Quote:

On 2011-02-07 19:48, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

flash who wouldn't it would be like the killer ead from nowhere

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-07 23:26   
Quote:

On 2011-02-07 08:05, BackSlash wrote:
Already planned to be changed, and this system isn't it. Sorry.

Well I wasn't sure if the idea of changing it was still in developement, or had been abandoned. So now that I know you're still working about it, I can rest easy.

But I have to say I like Boomshot's idea more than mine now . Especially if AHR is considered a drone (It is in my eyes) .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-08 03:16   
The best way to go about it is to reduce the amount of reloads that one target can have on it.

It makes alot of sense (as Geja hinted) to have a Reload gadged that was AoE much like planets that you turn on and it reloads all ships in the nearby area, but at much reduced rate (like planet defense, spread out over people).

But either way, anything that prevents the effective reload of a station at more than three at one time is a good tjomg/

-Ent

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-02-08 03:18   
Quote:

[ This Message was edited by: Defiance*FTL* on 2011-02-08 03:20 ]

so you want less damage than a syphon.. with slower JD and less armor... i getting this strait?

points to the mandi

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-08 06:49   
Quote:

On 2011-02-08 03:16, Saint Valentine wrote:
But either way, anything that prevents the effective reload of a station at more than three at one time is a good tjomg/

As a representative of the tjomg/, I will state categorically that we disagree with and frankly are offended by this comparison.

Email Shigernafy
Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-08 15:12   
Quote:

On 2011-02-08 06:49, Shigernafy wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-08 03:16, Saint Valentine wrote:

As a representative of the tjomg/, I will state categorically that we disagree with and frankly are offended by this comparison.

Wait....what just happened? I am confuse.

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2011-02-08 17:35   
At this time, the group referring to itself as the tjomg/ are not an officially recognized body, and as such their comments are to be stricken from the record.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Pimpalicious Nerd {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-08 23:21   
FYI, the UGTO Stations have one armor slot per direction in addition to the all-side armor slot.

You may be thinking of the EAD, which has three fore armor slots.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-09 08:13   
Quote:

On 2011-02-08 23:21, Pimpalicious Nerd {C?} wrote:
FYI, the UGTO Stations have one armor slot per direction in addition to the all-side armor slot.

You may be thinking of the EAD, which has three fore armor slots.

It's a general issue with the way that rather than having a fixed repair capacity, a reload or AHR can repair ALL devices on a ship at maximum rate, which means that having more damaged devices results in a faster repair rate. So having eight armour devices lets you gain more total HP faster than a ship with four armour devices. In addition, it means that breaking through to a second armour layer (or hull) will actually increase the speed at which a target can be repaired, which seems non-common-sensical since you'd think that the limit on repair speed would be the number of available damage control teams, not the amount of damage that needs fixing.

The longest possible time a ship will need repairs for is the amount of time it takes to repair its most damaged component, so a dread with 5% hull and full armour will repair in the same period of time as a 5% hull dread with 0% armour, because the armour damage doesn't affect the hull repair speed.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026878 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR