No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Barracks
 Author Barracks
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-31 23:08   
Is it possible that we can have barracks that we can upgrade from T1 to T3?

They would cost signficantly more power and population, but they also churn out Infantry that automatically come out as Elite or Hardened.

The idea is simple:

You have our normal Barracks. They create green inf that max out at veteran.

Then you have T2 Barracks. They cost more power, population. They also require more resources to create an infantry (double the time). They turn out infantry that eventually become Hardened.

And then you have T3 barracks that take even more power and workers. They require even more resources to create an infantry and its double again to create an infantry. That means it takes about eight minutes to spawn 1 heavy infantry that will take several hours to eventually reach Elite status.

It however eventually level to Elite.

I think this is an acceptable balance. Getting Elite inf is a difficult and time consuming process as it is, but it makes more sense to have planets to have the capibility for this. As long as its balanced out correctly.

We should also bring about the idea of Infantry contributing to PD%.

This is dependant on rank and type. Infantry at green provide 1% (up to 32%) and heavies provide 1.5 percent at green (up to 48%). This increases by 1% respectively depending on the rank. So as a table (assuming you have 32 inf).

Veteran Inf provide 64%. Veteran Heavy Inf provide 96%.

Hardened Infantry provide 96%. Hardened Heavy Infantry provide 144%.

Elite Infantry provide 128%. Elite Heavy Infantry provide a whopping 192% to a planet.

Which means you really want to bomb them off.

I would also suggest that infantry HP be increased significantly against bombs, as well as population loss.

The goal? Make planet capturing take more than just orbiting a bunch of ships. Involve bombing, involve troops, involve a dynamic troop system that allows you to build planets centered around infantry defense and not just defense bases. It allows greater planning when building and allows people to really consider different factors in planetary capture and defense.

The removal of PD from planets is a big thing, we should make infantry just as important as defense bases. Hows this for a start?

-Ent

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-31 23:18   
I do like the idea of T2/T3 barracks (tier 2 and tier 3 for those wondering what that means ) .

But the idea of it taking FOREVER to make more inf is a turn-off. The drain on power/pop alone should be enough.

Also, why would infantry contribute to PD? Real infantry have no missile-stopping ability (the missiles used in game are most often MiRV, which stands for Multiple impact Reentry Vehicle. Basically a missile shotgun) .

I have to say though, this would lend itself to farming homesystems with Elite inf. Those systems are rarely touched, and thus would have ample time to build up hundreds of Elite inf. To defend against such a rush would require people switch servers, which is quite a hassle (and if you don't go there the old fashioned way, you'd have to wait several minutes to be able to respawn) .

Then again, it would give a faction defending the system next to it's home an advantage (should they decide to use time getting them) .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-31 23:48   
Quote:

On 2011-01-31 23:18, Reznor wrote:
I do like the idea of T2/T3 barracks (tier 2 and tier 3 for those wondering what that means ) .

But the idea of it taking FOREVER to make more inf is a turn-off. The drain on power/pop alone should be enough.

Also, why would infantry contribute to PD? Real infantry have no missile-stopping ability (the missiles used in game are most often MiRV, which stands for Multiple impact Reentry Vehicle. Basically a missile shotgun) .

I have to say though, this would lend itself to farming homesystems with Elite inf. Those systems are rarely touched, and thus would have ample time to build up hundreds of Elite inf. To defend against such a rush would require people switch servers, which is quite a hassle (and if you don't go there the old fashioned way, you'd have to wait several minutes to be able to respawn) .

Then again, it would give a faction defending the system next to it's home an advantage (should they decide to use time getting them) .

I'm certain that PD is more to refer to Planetary Defense rather than Point Defense.

And infantry are just as important (if not more so than ever) in the actual defense and capture of a planet, so I think they should contribute,

I also think that there has to be a heavy time limit otherwise it would be too easy. Its that simple.

And yes, that means homesystems have the capability more than frontline planets to create elite infantry. I see no problem in balance in that.

-Ent

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-31 23:57   
I thought the PD% was the damage reduction that structure's have.

Also, I concede that the time limit would actually be a good balancer, but it would still annoy the crap outta me .

Still, I think before they implement something like this, they should at least buff def base damage and introduce "phase 2" of the planetary system, which should additionally modify how the game is played.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-01 03:31   
The only problem i have with this is some random people rushing to this planet every few hours to get the elites, then most likely wasting them. Thus the inf will never stay on the planet.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-01 06:08   
I heard from Jim that dev team is thinking of Infantry and Marine.
I think tier 2 barrarck will produce Marine.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-01 07:58   
Quote:

On 2011-02-01 03:31, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
The only problem i have with this is some random people rushing to this planet every few hours to get the elites, then most likely wasting them. Thus the inf will never stay on the planet.

True, its my only problem too, but its about the same thing as people who build planets badly. You can't really do anything about them, just fix the things they messed up.

I want to add in a little clarification too.

T3 Barracks can build anything from green to elite infantry - this means that you don't have to have multiple barracks types. Want a planet that spawns nothing but Veterans? Go for it. Want a planet soley devoted to elites? Sure.

Also, PD% refers to the damage reduction of all things on a planet, this includes allied infantry.

-Ent

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-02-01 10:28   
A reference to a old topic.
Link
Please keep in mind that this topic is 3 years old and was around the 1.484 beta (before it turned into 1.500)

I do like the idea of a T2 baraks. but not a T3, since it would just increase our already big structure list.

mOno.
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-01 10:43   
That would not change the fact that orbiting the planet with enough ships is all you have to do. I saw that now 25% PD already provides that much protection for Infantery, that it is better to wait for the capture before bombing them away. 25% PD there (yesterday) was more than only 25% damage reduction.

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-02-01 10:55   
I like the idea that [Battle] Hardened Infantry have an advantage over trained infantry.

Admiral C. Wilson
Admiral

Posted: 2011-02-01 10:57   
I see, could work. Devs have to give it a green light thought

Email Admiral C. Wilson
Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-02-01 13:42   
In realistic terms, infantry become better fighters with actual combat. Training is one thing, but real combat is different, and forges a better fighting.

Then again, in the far flung future of darkspace, they could probably use hologram kluthies for training, but still, there'd be less of an element of danger to those soldiers.

But yeah, marines for ship capping and infantry for planet capping is a cool idea. But I thought they had a cap on the number of different structures they could have.

Page created in 0.025147 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR