No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » DarkSpace 1.6
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author DarkSpace 1.6
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-17 13:03   
As some of you have noticed in the Development Log we have jumped to version DarkSpace 1.6 in beta, this is due to a large change to the game currently being worked on, and which you'll likely see released soon.

The changes have been previously mentioned and discussed in public, but this topic aims to be a more in-depth introduction into the new system, which we hope you'll like.

It all started a few major versions ago (1.483 if anyone wants to know), wherein planets were being treated as a small, insignificant part of the game. We had fixed most of this issue with 1.484 (later renamed 1.5), but I was personally still unhappy with the status planets had, as they were largely left ignored, and considered unimportant beyond Shipyards and Depots.

I began the first draft of documentation on the planetary system changes a year ago with input from the development team and there are several stages to it, but for now we'll concentrate on the first stage, as that is what you'll be seeing soon. Other stages will come later, tying in new and old systems that will enhance the experience.

Out with the old, in with the new!
First thing you'll notice with the new system is that they have a "Control" value in the view panel, this being the value of points required to capture the planet. As of now the default is 10,000 points, but different planets will require more depending on their resources, type, and other such data.

How do I capture the planet though?
Players can capture a planet by causing the Control value to drop below 0. Once this is done, the force with the most point value in the area will capture the planet, causing it to go up to 500 control (so as to not cause the planet to flip flop back and forth). When the planet is captured, all objects on the planet switch over to the new faction, with exception to infantry.

How do you influence the Control value? Easy, just be within influence range of the planet, which is set to 500 gu from the planet surface, and baring any major issues, I don't see this changing. Once you are within the influence range, your ship has a weight value assigned to it, which will start subtracting from the planet's control points. If an allied player is within influence range, that player will add to the planet's control points, so you're not going to have an easy job taking the planet you've selected!

Everyone who contributes to capturing the planet gains a point!

What about infantry?
Don't worry, we haven't forgotten about them. Each infantry unit has a point value, which we've decided will act as the majority of the planet's base control point regeneration. This means that if one or two players sit in orbit of a planet, they will not be able to capture it without first taking down the infantry. You can also dump infantry onto the surface to help you nullify the base regeneration, or should there be no enemy infantry, aid you in capturing it that much faster.

And bombing?
Bombing works much the same way as it does currently, with exception that any bombs hitting the planet will reduce the control points. There's also the fact that point defence no longer exists on planets, but there's more on that below.

So, defences still work the same, right?
Nope, wrong! I decided that planets shooting at one player wasn't enough (DEATH TO ALL!). So, planet's will now damage all players within the influence range. Yup, you heard me, everyone. The damage is increased depending on what type, and how many defence structures you have on the planet. So a fully decked out death star aimed at anti-ship defence will not be an easy planet to stay around.

Ok, so here's the part you might not like... Planet's now have zero point defence, but before you start raging at me, hear me out. Defence bases now have a protection rating, which means bombs and infantry will do less damage to structures and infantry when you attack that planet. A fully kitted out point defence planet will be hard as nails to bomb, but will not deal as much damage to players in the area, so all you planet builders can now devise new ways to defend your stuffs!

Why did you remove point defence?
It's been known for quite some time on the development team that planets take up the most CPU load on the server. It's not easy for the server to calculate all of the structures on a planet, every second, and process all that data for you. The hardest and most heavy of all structures performance-wise, was the defence bases. Constantly scanning for things to shoot down, and players to attack, they were the worst enemy to the server, by a long shot.

You'll be happy to know that by switching over to the new system, the server load has dropped dramatically, to the point where we had Faustus talking in all capslock over staff chat ("ITS DROPPED LOADS!"). This means more pew pew for you guys, and less lag lag, you'll be happy to hear.

Are there any other bits that we should know about?
Yes, cloaked ships do not have effect over the control points on a planet. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out why, so I'll just leave it at that.

These changes also open possibilities to add new structures for K'luth and UGTO that have the same utility as the ICC Planetary Shield. Yay for new things!

Overall we think it's a step in the right direction, and a more natural feel to the way you fight over planets. The change is currently live in beta, but is still being heavily worked upon.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

- Jack
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2011-01-17 13:33 ]

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-01-17 13:11   
How does the "Planets captured" points work now?

Who will get the Cap, and how many points will they receive for a planet type, if different?

Kaoschan
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2011-01-17 13:26   
Please push into Release now! kthxbye

K'luth Hunter - Recon ~Ping~ Scout - ECCM for the Team, to beat the K'luth!

Goto the website of Kaoschan
MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2011-01-17 13:36   
Once new ship layouts get added this game will be win

AP0LLYON
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-17 13:38   
Sounds great, can't wait until its pushed into the server !

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2011-01-17 13:46   
Providing we can push through the work in time, I am also hoping to get the new layouts for cruisers and dreadnoughts into 1.6, although there are no guarantees.

Goto the website of Drafell
Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-17 14:28   
What is the point value of something like a station?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-17 14:30   
Quote:

On 2011-01-17 14:28, Sops wrote:

Same as every other ship. Engineers hold more + value, whereas bombers hold more - value (due to bombs).

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-17 15:44   
Quote:

On 2011-01-17 14:30, BackSlash wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-01-17 14:28, Sops wrote:

Same as every other ship. Engineers hold more + value, whereas bombers hold more - value (due to bombs).

Now I'm confused. Up above you said

Quote:

Once you are within the influence range, your ship has a weight value assigned to it, which will start subtracting from the planet's control points.

Which I took to mean the size(weight) of the ship determines how much influence it exerts. So 3 scouts in orbit of an enemy planet have the same - influence as 3 stations in orbit of an enemy planet?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-17 15:48   
Scouts have no effect on a planet.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-01-17 16:02   
Quote:

On 2011-01-17 15:48, BackSlash wrote:
Scouts have no effect on a planet.

So then in terms of influence is it stations>dreads>cruisers>destroyers>frigates with scouts having 0 influence or is it stations=dreads=cruisers=destroyers=frigates with scouts having 0 influence?

Also how does blockading work with this new system? Does the enemy need a higher net influence than your allies to blockade your planet?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-17 16:13   
Quote:

On 2011-01-17 16:02, Chewy Squirrel {om nom nom nom nom} wrote:
So then in terms of influence is it stations>dreads>cruisers>destroyers>frigates with scouts having 0 influence or is it stations=dreads=cruisers=destroyers=frigates with scouts having 0 influence?

Also how does blockading work with this new system? Does the enemy need a higher net influence than your allies to blockade your planet?

It's Stations = Dreads = Cruisers = Destroyers = Frigates = Supply. All are the same, all have the same point value. This is so someone in a frigate is as much use as someone in a station.

Blockade works when the point value falls below a certain threshold (which has yet to be decided upon, although 2,000 seems about right).

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-01-17 16:27   
Even though i probably will miss the point defense, im looking forward to the changes.

Ive always wanted that Kluth sensors on planet wouldn`t affect the cloaking for kluth ships, so as the icc have the shield base, kluth should have Sensor that don`t affect the signature of kluth vessels.

Keep up the good work devs, looking forward to the changes.

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-01-17 16:54   
Quote:

On 2011-01-17 13:46, Drafell wrote:
Providing we can push through the work in time, I am also hoping to get the new layouts for cruisers and dreadnoughts into 1.6, although there are no guarantees.

yay 2 weeks is over

James 296
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-17 17:10   
I want to like this but I'm going to wait and reserve my judgement till when 1.6 comes out. it will at least, make things interesting.

P.S. Big F talking with caps lock....now there's something that doesn't happen very often.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019880 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR