Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Understanding and Choosing Enhancements
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Understanding and Choosing Enhancements
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-17 03:57   
This is only my advice from my experience and knowledge. It's you who decide what best for you.

Understanding the enhancements
  • Projectile (P) = Non-beam weapon.
  • Beam (B) = Laser.
  • Accelerator (A) = Extends range.
  • Condenser (S) = Decrease energy usage.
  • Cooler (C) = Increases recharge rate (by draining energy faster than normal)
  • Multiplexer (M) = Increases damage.
  • Engine Booster (EB) = Accelerates ship's inertia.
  • Engine Tuner (ET) = Improves ship's thrust.
  • Manuevering Jets (MJ) = Increases ship's speed.
  • Defense Power (DR) = Accelerates armor/shield regeneration.
  • Defense Upgrade (DU) = Increases overall armor/shield HP.
  • Convention:
    A = Total damage cause by one alpha.
    T = Time to perform one alpha.
    E = Effect of one alpha.
    A = Advance enhancement (+6%).

Falloff = The further the target is, the weaker the damage is.
Disclaimer
In game, Projectile is named Weapon, i.g: APC = Advance Weapon Cooler.
Until now, Defense Power works just like Defense Upgrade.
Notice
Cooler and Condenser effects are not the same.
Your ship has F energy capacity. When used, the device(s) shall drain E energy on the ship during T time (for details, see Weapon Systems) so that it will be ready again. The engine(s) on the ship ought to produce X Energy/Second (for details see Power Systems).
The cooler decreases charging time of a sole device by forcing the device to drain faster. The condenser decreases the amount of charging energy to a sole device. It's not difficult to consider equiping Condenser shall allow the ship to do more alphas than equiping Cooler until the ship is out of energy. Less but not least, since the energy draining is lower, therefore the signature of equipping Condenser is lowest.
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 11:42, Drafell wrote:
Falloff is applied in a gradient along the length of a beam. So with the non-enhanced heavy beam you would do the same damage at 175gu as you would with the enhanced beam at 259gu. The same applies for any weapon with falloff. Extending the range of the weapon also increases the effective damage at a given range.

Click to see complete enhancement list, which contents some no-longer-available-enhancements. There are some rare enhacements shall be dropped by Elite AI; some can be bought when you click Buy when log into Shipyard; some were only available in older version that you can only see it equip on ship of veterans. Be happy with what you have occupied. Even without enhancement, every ship is excellent at its own task (Promise from ship designer - Jim Starluck).

Most important advice to remember:
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 14:57, Azreal wrote:
I use templates when I enhance ships. If I am in X ship, I enhance its weaknesses if it is feasable, if not I enhance its strengths.

Whatever the ship is, think about what it does, what its purpose is. No point putting weapon muly's on a freaking picket, for example. Beam multies, accels, or coolers? Hmmmm. maybe.....

It is not always good to stack. Sometimes some ships only need tweaks. (bombers are an example of possibly good hybid templates) When using a unique, it should go with the area you are stacking.

Choosing the enhancements
1. PROJECTILE: Cooler, Condenser or Multiplexer?
Analysis
Formula: E = A / T
- Equip 8 APC: E1 = A / (1 - 6%*8) T = 1,923 A / T
- Equip 8 APM: E2 = (1 + 6%*8)A / T = 1,48 A / T
Times of alpha: 8 APC < 8 APD
Advice
- PC is good when the ship must spam in order to surpass point defense. Equip them on MD; Aricourt; Ganglia; Missle Cruisers (all factions); Supply Stations (human); Bombers (all factions); Command Dreads/Stations (all factions).
- When the ship is an energy hunger, then PS is good as you spend less energy per alpha. Equip them on Assualt Cruisers/Dreads/Stations (all factions) such as TC, Siphon, LS.
- When the chance of hit is limited then PM is good as you do maximum damage within one alpha. Equip them on Scarab; Carrier; Combat Dreads (all factions) such as CD, BC, Mandi.
- It's not recommmended to equip PC on assualt ships since out-of-energy-ship is fragile.

2. PROJECTILE: when Accelerator?
Analysis
Equip 8 AWA:
- SI range = 850 * (1 + 6%*8) = 1258gu
- PSI range = 650 * (1 + 6%*8) = 962gu
- Shredder range = 950 ( (1 + 6%*8) = 1406gu
- AM Torpedo range = 300gu * (1 + 6%*8) = 444gu
For a complete math, do your calculator with Weapon Systems.
Advice
- PA provides the advantage of range for the ship, especially Luth. Equip them for Krill, Hive, Combat Cruisers (Luth, UGTO).
- Don't waste PA on minelaying ship as it has no meaning.
- ICC already has the highest range so it doesn't really need Accelerator.

3. BEAM: when Accelerator?
Analysis
Equip 8 ABA:
- Heavy beam's range: 350 * (1 + 6%*8) = 518gu
- Normal beam's range: 150 * (1 + 6%*8) = 222gu
Advice
- Without falloff, it's better to equip Luth BA since you can decide the distance to the target before uncloaking.
- If you insist on human, equip them on assualt class ships.

4. BEAM: Cooler or Condenser or Multiplexer?
Analysis
Equip 8 AB Cooler: E1 = A / (1 - 6%*8)T = 1,923 A / T
Equip 8 AB Condenser: E2 = (1 + 3%*8)A / (1 - 4%*8)T = 1,823 A / T
Equip 8 AB Multiplexer: E3 = (1 + 6%*8)A / T = 1,48 A / T
Advice
- Equip beam multiplexer for maximum damage and minimum alphas. Equip on Assualt Cruisers/Dreadds (human), Mandi, Scale.
- Equip beam condenser for pretty PD and good beam damage. Equip on Siphon, Parasite (cause ELF doesn't do any damage).
- Equip beam cooler for excellent PD such as Command Dreads; Supply Stations (all factions).
- It's not recommended to equip beam cooler for assualt, as well as projectile cooler.

5. DEFENSE: Power or Upgrade?
Analysis
- AHR automatically repairs ship, even when cloaking.
- Recruit power to shield for faster regen.
- UGTO's armor has slow self-repair rate, albative doesn't regen itself.
For details, see Defensive Systems.
Advice
- ADP for Kluth.
- ADU for UGTO and ICC.

6. Manuevering Jet or Engine Turner or Engine Booster?
Analysis
Equip 8 AMJ:
- Scout: 35 * (1 + 6%*8) = 51,8gu/s
- Frigate: 30 * (1 + 6%*8) = 44,4gu/s
- Destroyer: 25 * (1 + 6%*8) = 37gu/s
- Cruiser: 20 * (1 + 6%*8) = 29,6gu/s
- Dreadnaught: 15 * (1 + 6%*8) = 22,2gu/s
- Station: 6 * (1 + 6%*8) = 8,88gu/s
Advice
- It shows that equip MJ for destroyer, cruiser and dread shall increase significantly speed. Recommend: combat destroyers/cruisers/dreads (all factions).
- It's not so good to make lightning scout/frigate. Scout and Frigate is already small and fast enough to dodge projectile. Besides, running at higher speed shall increase ship's signature - an essensial factor of life & death. Perhaps it's better to have room for Engine Booster so that you can turn a stand still ship to a rocket ship in a flash.
- Frankly, MJ for station is stupid. On the other hands, ET is quite handful for station, especially with Luth and UGTO.

7. Unique?
Advice
Personally, I love unique a lot. I would equip Exhaust, Benchford, Makkar on a dread, station without thinking. Some skillful players may criticize my intention but I have a reason for it.
First, they don't have durabilty. And I obviously keep the ships forever in garage. I don't want to spend credit again and again.
Second, power, range, solidity are crucial during battle but when out of it, speed, velocity, thrust are burdens. I don't care if I survive or I kill, but I'm impatient to wait and see I'm aging. It's my thinkings only.

Other uniques, like Thari, Stealth, you should have thoughtful consideration before equiping. If you never have experience with them, ask the one who used it, removed it from the ship for reason. Then do a careful test in beta. They're expensive so be mature.

8. When you have no credit...
Should you equip free-to-launch ship?
My garrage has usually filled with minor/limited enhancements so I equip them for my small ship. Trust me, when you play long enough, you will want to get rid of minor/limited enhancement. When remove the ship, there is no pity. Or I may give the minor/limited to newbie, who lacks them.
Personally I don't keep free-to-launch ship in garrage, but if you do, deeply think about it. Remind you to test in beta since you can always get free credits in beta.

As said above, when you mix the enhancement instead of focusing on one perspective, make sure you understand the ship and what you do with it. An overall +6% isn't excellent since every ship plays a role in this game.

That's all I could tell. I appreciate all ideas in this topic, of whom have experienced and share their good grounds.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2010-12-21 02:44 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2010-12-17 11:42   
Quote:

3. BEAM: when Accelerator?
Analysis
With 8 ABA:
- Heavy beam's range: 350 * 1.48 = 518gu
- Normal beam's range: 150 * 1.48 = 222gu
Advice
Fail on human ship, where the further the target is, the weaker the beam causes.
Only good for Luth. Equip when you have none better enhs or in beta.

Just to clarify as your recommendation here is incorrect.

Falloff is applied in a gradient along the length of a beam.

So with the non-enhanced heavy beam you would do the same damage at 175gu as you would with the enhanced beam at 259gu. The same applies for any weapon with falloff. Extending the range of the weapon also increases the effective damage at a given range.

Goto the website of Drafell
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-17 14:57   
Quote:

On 2010-12-17 03:57, chlorophyll wrote:

8. Unique?
Advice
Frankly you don't need to think to decide equip your ship or not. Exhaust, Benchford, Zlaar, Makkar always make the ship SPLENDID. Should not equip Stealth Module on assualt ship.
Should I buy Magnetron? Seriously, why do you need to protect free to launch ship? Is it not better to equip Engineer with Upgraded Build Drones?

1. Its not true that any unique on any ship is good. I honestly found my Thari's on my Krill to be a pain. Would have rather had that on a Ganglia, which I did use.

2. On K'Luth, Stealth on an assualt ship is actually potentially useful. It helps to avoid ping, and it helps to return to zero sig faster after you are pinged.

3. Enhancements on small ships? Sure, why not. Why not throw defense mods on a transport, to help it survive a planet attack or assault ship? Why not throw some beam accels or coolers on a ship u intend to pd with? Engies can use def, especially if there are K'Luth around. At least long enough to survive and react to an attack.

4. Upgraded build drones. These depend on your prefered goal. Do you want to build fast, or get more points? Unless it has been changed, you are awarded build points on the basis of length of build time, not structure built. Therefor, if you are building 48% faster, you are also getting 48% less points. That compounds out even worse if you use all drones on a single structure. Sure, it goes up fast, but you take a huge hit to pres gained. So it is up to your own goal.

Enhancement Advice.

I use templates when I enhance ships. If I am in X ship, I enhance its weaknesses if it is feasable, if not I enhance its strengths.

Example.
On K'Luth, I moded up for defense, not offense.
Reason: K'Luth's weakness is NOT weapons or distance, or cooldown. It is energy and defense. You can not enhance enough offense to outdo an equivalent enemy ship's defense, Trust me. I spent 500K and two years figuring these things out. You CAN, however, stack defense, and then you stay in the fight longer. As K'Luth this is to your advantage. You have higher DPS. If you stack defense, the enemy stacking offense will not tear through your defense before you have ripped him up.
In most cases that is. This only works, of course, for certain ships. I'm not K'Luth anymore, so I am not saying much else on it.

Whatever the ship is, think about what it does, what its purpose is. No point putting weapon muly's on a freaking picket, for example. Beam multies, accels, or coolers? Hmmmm. maybe.....

It is not always good to stack. Sometimes some ships only need tweaks. (bombers are an example of possibly good hybid templates) When using a unique, it should go with the area you are stacking. Dont bother putting trails on assault ships, people. They burn your energy, and truly go with nothing else you most likely have on it. If you are stacking speed or thrust on an assault ship, I 1)hope you are an enemy and 2) love you truly if so.

I do not agree with a lot of what Chloro has suggested, but I like his data. I just prefer to run better templates on my ships.

[ This Message was edited by: Azreal on 2010-12-18 14:17 ]

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2010-12-17 15:26   
What exactly is the difference between advanced def upgrade and advanced def power?

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2010-12-17 17:38   
Quote:

6. Manuevering Jet or Engine Turner?
Analysis
Equip 8 AMJ:
- Scout: 1,48 * 35 = 51,8gu/s
- Frigate: 1,48 * 30 = 44,4gu/s
- Destroyer: 1,48 * 25 = 37gu/s
- Cruiser: 1,48 * 20 = 29,6gu/s
- Dreadnaught: 1,48 * 15 = 22,2gu/s
- Station: 1,48 * 6 = 8,88gu/s
Advice
It shows that equip MJ for destroyer, cruiser and dread shall increase significantly speed. So it's better to equip Scout, Frigate and Station Turner to help them more flexible. Lightning Scout or Frigate isn't necessary cause they're fast enough to dodge weapons.

if your going with all enine tuners or all manuvering jets ist best to use makar on any ship the only draw back is -2% defence per enhancement but its worth it with 40% velocity thrust and turn thrusters more so on a luth dread witch can now fly in circles around other luth moveing in for a kill and it can dodge at a much closer distance i would never put only velocity or only turn thrusters on a ship they need bolth to work well makar is the best choice if your luth

and to anyone that thinks makar is great just because its the only enhancements with no durability that you can stack thats comeing to an end it will have durability sooner or later but i'm sure its not a priority fix at the considering that bairly anyone uses it

but lets face it makeing a syphon move like a cruiser with only a -16% defence drawback is still a fun enhancement

OneBoredSith
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-17 18:56   
Quote:

On 2010-12-17 15:26, darksmaster923 (FM) wrote:
What exactly is the difference between advanced def upgrade and advanced def power?

Def upgrades in short; Hp up (on armor/hull/shield).
Def powers is faster natural regen of armor/hull/shield.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-17 23:35   
Quote:

On 2010-12-17 11:42, Drafell wrote:
Just to clarify as your recommendation here is incorrect.

May you clarify more of these mysteries, Drafell? Here they are:
Quote:

4. Upgraded build drones. These depend on your prefered goal. Do you want to build fast, or get more points? Unless it has been changed, you are awarded build points on the basis of length of build time, not structure built. Therefor, if you are building 48% faster, you are also getting 45% less points. That compounds out even worse if you use all drones on a single structure. Sure, it goes up fast, but you take a huge hit to pres gained. So it is up to your own goal.

Is it true? What's the correct information?
Quote:

On 2010-12-17 18:56, E115-Dark Unicorn wrote:

If DU increases HP of armor/shield, does it take longer time to repair the ship?
Quote:

Dont bother putting trails on assault ships, people. They burn your energy, and truly go with nothing else you most likely have on it. If you are stacking speed or thrust on an assault ship, I 1)hope you are an enemy and 2) love you truly if so.

Does "falloff" apply with speed too? The amount of energy draining at 15gu/s of no enh ship is equal to 16gu/s at enhed ship, for example.

Other questions:
  • Is there any enhancement that decreases energy draining?
  • BackSlash said armor/shield total HP is higher than hull, why do repair hull take more time than repair armor/shield?
  • Is there any enhancement that improves repair drones (increasing repair speed, increasing repair range)?

[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2010-12-18 00:39 ]

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-18 00:23   
Quote:

It is not always good to stack. Sometimes some ships only need tweaks. (bombers are an example of possibly good hybid templates) When using a unique, it should go with the area you are stacking. Dont bother putting trails on assault ships, people. They burn your energy, and truly go with nothing else you most likely have on it. If you are stacking speed or thrust on an assault ship, I 1)hope you are an enemy and 2) love you truly if so.

I do not agree with a lot of what Chloro has suggested, but I like his data. I just prefer to run better templates on my ships.

I use engine trails on all my ships. I was under the impression that higher max speed = more efficient energy management at lower speeds.

I think it used to be you'd regen energy faster, but they fixed that. Also, it never hurts to have a few extra units of speed to outrun whatever while your JD recharges.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-12-18 11:05   
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 23:35, chlorophyll wrote:
May you clarify more of these mysteries
Quote:
4. Upgraded build drones. These depend on your prefered goal. Do you want to build fast, or get more points? Unless it has been changed, you are awarded build points on the basis of length of build time, not structure built. Therefor, if you are building 48% faster, you are also getting 45% less points. That compounds out even worse if you use all drones on a single structure. Sure, it goes up fast, but you take a huge hit to pres gained. So it is up to your own goal.

Is it true? What's the correct information?

Build points get every tick (time update) of witch your build (and repair) drones are active. If your building a structure in half the time of usual. then you get half the prestige of usual.
Quote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 18:56, E115-Dark Unicorn wrote:

If DU increases HP of armor/shield, does it take longer time to repair the ship?

Defence upgrade increases HP. Def power increases HP regeneration. If you increase your HP, going from 0 to full will take longer with the same regeneration. and if you increase your regen the time will be shorter.. simple right?
Quote:
Quote:
Dont bother putting trails on assault ships, people. They burn your energy, and truly go with nothing else you most likely have on it. If you are stacking speed or thrust on an assault ship, I 1)hope you are an enemy and 2) love you truly if so.

Does "falloff" apply with speed too? The amount of energy draining at 15gu/s of no enh ship is equal to 16gu/s at enhed ship, for example.

1 when a ship is not moving it generates its maximal amount of energy. 2 when a ship is moving at maximum speed it is not generating any energy. 3 energy generation fall of is scaled on how fast the ship is moving..
Currently if you go at 50% speed you get 50% energy of the drives maximal energy gain.
We were discussing to change this a bit. but that is stalled.
Quote:
Other questions:
  • Is there any enhancement that decreases energy draining?
  • BackSlash said armor/shield total HP is higher than hull, why do repair hull take more time than repair armor/shield?
  • Is there any enhancement that improves repair drones (increasing repair speed, increasing repair range)?

* Energy drain is drain per device. so without enhancments the drain per device is fixed. but! What are you referind to with drain. because if you decrease the energy requirement for a weapon, the drain is still the same. but you can repeat the weapon more times with the same amount of energy.
I am a little confused at the beam code. but for projectile weapons (cannons), the cooler decreases energy drain, a condenser decreases the energy required.
* good question. i for got the answer.
* No drone enhancments at this time.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-18 12:24   
the Hull takes longer, far as I know, because you could just sit at planets with depots or supplies going and take damage all day long. The slower regen on hull both allows for more points to supps, and keeps people from exploiting depot rocks.

But then I could be wrong.....

MarineKingPrime
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2010-12-19 00:53   
The weapon cooler doesn't seem to affect weapon recharge time

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-19 03:39   
i do not know if they recently changed the way enhancements work but from what i can tell for projectiles.

cooler affects how often you can fire the weapon in a minute (negtive side uses energy faster)

condensor affects the amount of energy required to recharge said weapon
(side effect for system i know is it it also decreases the time required to recharge the weapon as well because less energy is needed with old system that means the effects of a cooler with out the faster drainage of energy)

extenders (range increase of course it however i noted with when enhancements first came out that falloff range was not increased aka falloff remained the same)

multiplexers (effected the fall off damage because the weapon dealt more damage over all perfect for ugto battle dreads in combnation with range extenders)

beams.

cooler faster firing beam and massive energy usage in a short time frame (because beam weapons drained a but load of energy to begin with)

condensors (had a side effect of increasing the rate of fire of beams while reducing the power cost luth love these things for a reason they can use their beams more often)

extenders did not effect fall off (meaning no urber long range beam weapons)

multiplexers same as the projectiles one

mind you this was about a year ago so i do not know whats changed (can't be bothered with beta )

altho i believe when darkmaster was showing off i noticed they ran out of energy and they were all coolers if this is true sorry eledore you got it wrong (can't blame yah tho i had the honor of seeing a thread on this stuff before it magicly disspeared )

[ This Message was edited by: jamesbob on 2010-12-19 03:43 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-19 07:43   
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=47884&forum=13&1

its a sticky now, if you mean this post.....was, ummmm, reworked a bit, obviously.....

Some of the data is now outdated.

again, if you were refering to this post....

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-19 14:07   
Topic's edited. Thanks for all information and ideas.

I still has some questions during writing. If I know the exact damage value of each weapon, I can tell which one should have priority to equip.

Actually I start researching to write this topic when I myself am confused when tweaking the ship. That's why a few parts are incorrect.

Needs conferences. Templates of actual ships may help.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2010-12-19 14:10 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2010-12-19 22:45   
The Development Team intentional obfuscate the exact damage and hitpoint values for various weapons and gadgets.
Each weapon has it's own range of usefulness, better in some area's than others and in theme with how we envision a factions gameplay. How you use a weapon, and what you gravitate towards using will evolve along with your playstyle.

Goto the website of Drafell
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.034116 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR