No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » A message from the Dev Team
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author A message from the Dev Team
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-12-15 18:33   
Hi, I'm BackSlash, one of the content developers who works on DarkSpace. I'm writing this post to hopefully clear up some confusion surrounding what the Developer Feedback forum is for, how our development team works, and the backlog of work we have.

Firstly, DarkSpace is worked upon by a select handful of hardened warriors/geeks/software developers/content developers/psuedo couch potatoes, who do so for free and in their free time – we do not get paid to work on DarkSpace. Not all developers listed on the staff page actually work on the game either (some are listed due to automatic flags), and a lot of us are amateurs, so bare this in mind when you think of our dev team. All this means that development on DarkSpace is slow, at best, although in the past our small team has managed to do a lot in short periods of time (credit where credit is due!). We work on DarkSpace not for ourselves, but because we want DarkSpace to succeed, and we want it to survive.

As it stands we have a large backlog of work we want/need to do, and this excludes most player suggestions. Don't get me wrong, we'd love to implement and work on many good suggestions made by players on this very forum (some that even we ourselves have brought up over the years), however, we lack the manpower to do this in a time that you would expect from a full-time development studio. This is how DarkSpace has always worked, and we'd like for that to change, but it's not something likely to happen anytime soon.

Some have suggested posting current projects we are working on into a list, however, we used to post our short-term workload on the top of the Development Log and, unfortunately, a lot of players constantly asked us when #so and so# feature was going to be finished when it hadn't been touched in weeks due to time constraints or lack of manpower. We felt this annoyed players and gave them false hopes in terms of what they expected, and so we removed it.

Our backlog of work is now mostly private, although some of it has been posted on the forums or mentioned in passing (planetary changes and fighter AI upgrades). I want to state that some of the work is not minor in any way, shape or form, and changes we feel need to be done now, as so to cut work in the future or increase the player base of the game, are also being worked upon. One such change is adding shadow maps to Medusa (DarkSpace's engine) to bring it more up-to-date with other games. Such changes are not minor, and are being worked on at the same time as trying to refine the network layer, and other such things.

I would like to take this opportunity to state that DarkSpace has always run with the help of volunteers, and without that help it wouldn't be where it is today. Myself and Drafell were the first second wave of developers to work on the game since the original [Dev] team, and since then, as a whole, we've tried to improve the team as best as possible. With that said, DarkSpace is always looking for help, so if you know C++, are over 18, and have no issues signing an NDA, by all means send us an example of work and you could be helping us make DarkSpace a better place for all! You can send myself or Drafell information (backslash / drafell [at] palestar [dot] com) or email Faustus directly if you're confident in your ability to help (rlyle [at] palestar [dot] com).

Hopefully you can now understand that whilst this forum exists, and we may well 'accept' or 'like' an idea, it does not mean it will make it into the game within the next week, month, or even year. We have a long road ahead of us, hopefully you'll enjoy the fruits when they come to bear.

- Jack
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-12-15 18:37 ]

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-16 02:37   
Quote:

On 2010-12-15 18:33, BackSlash wrote:

thanks for clearing this up jack i am sure it helps a bit.

as such i will use this post to bump the theard.

and lark if your going to troll moderator posts don't be suprised if jack decides to be evil .

and a message for our devs and mods keep up the good work and don't let these players get to you deep down they love you guys/gals. (well they better otherwise its kinda a insult to be asking for new content)

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-12-16 07:30 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-12-16 07:17   
Quote:

On 2010-12-16 02:37, jamesbob wrote:
and lark if your going to troll moderator posts don't be suprised if jack decides to be evil .

Any and all off-topic replies will be deleted (like now).

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-12-16 07:34   
Jack, perhaps it would be nice if you could give the players a short list or summary of your priorities or upcoming fixes/additions to the game.

Yes, there is the Dev log, but it gives info as far the next beta only. What I mean is to list the Devs priorities out for the next.... say 6 months or so in a bit more detail. No need to be comprehensive. But at least players will have an idea of what to expect in the coming patches.

It helps them to understand your situation, and it also saves you guys the trouble of repeatedly telling ppl that you have a list of unnamed stuff that needs attention.

Communication is the way forward.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2010-12-16 07:35 ]

Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-12-16 07:43   
Our priorities work like this:

Faustus: "Has anyone made any changes in beta that will break the game if I push it to release?"
Me: "Well, there is maybe this one thing..."
Jack: "No."
Jim: " I haven't finished!"
Faustus: "OK, pushing it to release now. These engine updates need to give live ASAP. Sorry!"
Me: "K"
Jack: "K"
Jim: "..."

Dev Log: Hotfix - All ship models have been replaced with space ponies.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr Black on 2010-12-16 07:50 ]

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-17 02:25   
How about creating a "Palestar's Volunteers" or "Help DS" on the left sidebar and provide the form + instruction so that volunteers know and apply when they meet the standard?

Somewhere in the forum says that developer is either invited or picked personally by admins, which I bet, doesn't sound like DS needs help developing to C++ programmers, although DS needs more manpower indeed.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2010-12-17 02:27 ]

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-17 10:18   
Quote:

On 2010-12-16 07:43, Mr Black wrote:
Our priorities work like this:

Faustus: "Has anyone made any changes in beta that will break the game if I push it to release?"
Me: "Well, there is maybe this one thing..."
Jack: "No."
Jim: " I haven't finished!"
Faustus: "OK, pushing it to release now. These engine updates need to give live ASAP. Sorry!"
Me: "K"
Jack: "K"
Jim: "..."

[ This Message was edited by: Mr Black on 2010-12-16 07:50 ]

you played sose one times to many

BUMP

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2010-12-18 00:06   
So does this mean all money from enhancements goes towards servers?

Is it just that there's not enough money for servers AND dev team (sheesh, even a christmas check for you guys would be nice), or is it that you're not allowed to access that money?

Curious if I should buy some more enhancements for the heck of it or not (all the ships I use are enhanced, and I still havent lost the ones I bought for the first ship months ago) .

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Alcedo
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-12-18 02:44   
Many times when players come up with suggestions it is just a way we to try to improve something already good.

I really think the developers did a great job with DarkSpace so far. Thank you.

Email Alcedo
jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-18 07:32   
Quote:

On 2010-12-18 00:06, Reznor wrote:
So does this mean all money from enhancements goes towards servers?

Is it just that there's not enough money for servers AND dev team (sheesh, even a christmas check for you guys would be nice), or is it that you're not allowed to access that money?

Curious if I should buy some more enhancements for the heck of it or not (all the ships I use are enhanced, and I still havent lost the ones I bought for the first ship months ago) .

loving theses people they just explained this all and you can't even understand english (ok so maybe some of it was techy english)

but to answer your question it goes to numorous things.

i can tell you with certanity it does not go to their pockets.

(excuse to bump)

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2010-12-18 12:09   
The dev team doesn't get any money from working on DarkSpace. It all goes towards the server maintenance, hardware* and running costs.

* Dislaimer - Occasionally Richard might buy a new coffee machine if the old one breaks, but that is still considered essential hardware in the software development community.

Goto the website of Drafell
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-12-18 14:44   
Quote:

Did someone say space ponies?

Puppies gotta die, too.

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-18 22:15   
Quote:

On 2010-12-18 14:44, AdmBito wrote:
Quote:

Did someone say space ponies?

lol

oh and by the way love your sig so shoot the damn dog .

and jack maybe you have to find someone to have a anti joke system.

just to be cruel
(excuse to bump again)

tucker32
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-20 00:10   
yay space ponies can min be pink and called pricilla

also i posting so it'll bump this thread up

µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-12-20 01:09   
I agree that posting future change would only increase anticipation, but maybe few more outsources of information so we can see progress. the frequent lobby q&a are not cutting it anymore maybe if you guys do thing in small increments instead of large batches probably would help alot.

also you guys need a new revenue source expand the item shop get published this game would be great as an xbox live game or god forbid a psn game even if you don't have the ability to do this someone is rich and needs to be richer would fund a project like that.

expanding the item shop to unique ships (maybe those cool community created ones)/weapons/devices, would help to increase revenue i know i really have nothing to do with my money why not help a small dev team grow.

Just a silly opinion

Email µOmniVore
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024941 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR