No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Signature.
 Author Signature.
Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-10 11:57   
Ok I understand the basic the larger your signature the easier you are to spot but i havent been able to find/figure what value the signature has. So im gunna ask a hypothetical question to see if u guys know.

Ok say my ship has a signature of 10 how far away can other ships see me from without enhancing their ships sensors?

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-11-11 01:29   
I know that if a ship's signature is more than 0 it can be seen. Lol.

Anyways, take a reference of 1 signature=1000 gu. Its decent enough and should alarm you about when NOT to increase signature.

Gauthus
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-11 03:47   
I used to think that but several times I've had negative sig and still get targetted/attacked. And this is not 'ping'. Eccm enhances signature but the actual signature of your ship including the eccm is reflected in the signature gauge.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-11-11 05:27   
Under certain ranges, signature has no bearing on whether you can see a ship or not (dreads, for example, can be seen quite far away, even if they have 0 signature).

Signature, in a nut shell, is the energy reading your ship gives off. The higher that reading, the easier your ship is to spot in space. A signature of 1,000,000 for example, would make a ship visible from 10,000 gu away (not exact math, just an example).

Hope that helped,
- Jack

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-11-12 01:30   
Would be nice if we knew exactly. I mean I don't really need to know because I can cloak. But factions like ICC that rely on ECM quite a bit would benefit from this knowledge.

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-17 09:50   
Yes thats true but my reason for asking is because i have found that sometimes ships can get within attacking range without showing up on scanners. this makes it really really useful to know what range you can be seen at so you can effectivly get a free hit.

Note: The craft attacking me was a scout and i personally fly scouts alot also so this may not work with all craft.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-11-17 10:19   
Quote:

On 2010-11-17 09:50, Howlingwind wrote:
This makes it really really useful to know what range you can be seen at so you can effectivly get a free hit.

Free hit?...Kids these days...

I'll tell though. Not 100% exact, but enough to make you jumping to the clouds.

At 0 signature, a ship, any ship, will see :
Scouts at 35-60 gu.
Frigates at 80-125 gu.
Destroyers at 140-190 gu.
Cruisers at 220-280 gu.
Dreadnoughts at 340-410 gu.
Station at 490-670 gu.

*Done for the "DarkSpace is not a numbers game" clause. Anomity rox.*

furtim
Admiral

Posted: 2010-11-20 01:57   
In the "Targetting self with SRRs" thread, Reznor mentioned something about ECCM making Kluth cloak/decloak more slowly. That spawned a couple of questions in my mind, but I thought it would be better to put them here instead of derailing that thread.

First of all, does ECCM actually affect cloaking in any way? If yes, is that an effect of the ECCM device itself or a general effect of signature? (If the latter, that would imply that a Kluth ship traveling at speed or with its own scanner/ECCM active would cloak/decloak more slowly.)

Second, I've heard the same thing about Beacons. Obviously, beacons also raise signature. Is that why people report beacons slowing down Kluth cloaking, or is that a special property beacons have?

I think in general the connection between cloaking and the electronic warfare signature model is not that clearly stated in any of the published documentation.

Goto the website of furtim
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-11-20 02:15   
Quote:

First of all, does ECCM actually affect cloaking in any way? If yes, is that an effect of the ECCM device itself or a general effect of signature?

I think in general the connection between cloaking and the electronic warfare signature model is not that clearly stated in any of the published documentation.

Its a general effect of ECCM on signature, and signature on cloak/decloak time.

To make it easy,
Low Signature/Fast cloak speed=Quick cloak/decloak time
High Signature/Slow cloak speed=Slow cloak/decloak time

Put into that {Signature=Base ship signature+(devicesXsignature increase)+(speedXspeed signature multiplier)+ECM|ECCM signature effect}

Also note that the manual teaches how to play. It does not teach the theory behind it. For that you need to go to the parent folder of the Manual. Read anything that catches your fancy.

Page created in 0.018645 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR