No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Mini map please.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author Mini map please.
*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 08:59   
this would be a nice thing to have but if they do put it...that's a big "IF" it would end up at the bottom of the to do list...at the moment they have to do planet capturing changes and the other half of the ship layouts....and i hope they are done soon...i can't wait to see the rest of the changes ^_^

Malorn
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 09:36   
Just for the record, +1 support here. And it's not making the game 'easier' in the sense of requiring less skill, it's just supporting more complex tactical knowledge. Darkspace has never been an arcade game, and having knowledge of your environment is necessary for tactics.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-25 09:52   
I would find this to be a waste of HUD space, meant for those too lazy to use the tools already provided... In my opinion, the game is already stupidly easy, adding more helpful items will make it lazier...

The HUD already displays contacts on the screen, unless the game goes 3D and first person. There is no need for a radar screen/mini map. It has been suggested several times in the past, and has never yet been added(Gee, I wonder why....).

-JBud

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2010-10-25 10:18   
well I really like the idea of some kind of radar. tbh I really miss a radar. I played through the whole X-series so I know how bad it can be to have a bad overview.
In DS you have only the pointers as an information source how many enemy or allied objects there are. unfortunately those pointers don't care if the object is a planet or a missile, it's just an object.
A small screen with colored dots in relative position to the player ship that would be great already.
And to add my opinion to the rotation of this radar: I think it would be best if it would rotate with the camera. Turning simultaneously (aweful word to write -.-) with the ship would be better for a game where you can't look backwards.
So JBud: what tools? how can I use the nav screen to look where my enemies are in a confusing battle without stopping to fire? If I turn the camera to look at what is going on behind me (or in front of me, depending where my current target is) I can't look on my target anymore and it might outmaneuvre me. Although I never was in really big fights in DS yet I sometimes have problems with this.

LPv2.5
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-10-25 10:29   
is it really that hard to zoom out and look around. a radar seems a bit excessive when you can use F2 and have the diamond indicators on various ships within range. everyone runs into planets when they start out, however you should learn to avoid hitting planets eventually. They are huge and not really that difficult to avoid. I think badgering the devs with another add on feature is not going to work, as they are trying to rework other items that will hopefully significantly improve game play (reworking the ship layouts, for example).

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 14:45   
Quote:

On 2010-10-24 16:20, BackSlash wrote:
You mean a screen like F2?

It's already in-game.

F2.

Backslash can't you read?

He is asking for a mini map... with Little "blips" on the screen. Its supposed to be small... for example the mini map in Halo or COD.

Shooting down suggestions is not fun... especially when you are the one holding the Barrett 50 Cal.

I am with Howling Wind on this one. A Mini Map would look fantastic... and it would be more helping than having to F2 While Spamming SPACEBAR and 11111222222333323333NNNNN332322bb11

-Skulduggery Pleasant

OneBoredSith
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 17:47   
Quote:

On 2010-10-25 14:45, Skulduggery Pleasant the Onlooker wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-24 16:20, BackSlash wrote:
You mean a screen like F2?

It's already in-game.

F2.

Backslash can't you read?

He is asking for a mini map... with Little "blips" on the screen. Its supposed to be small... for example the mini map in Halo or COD.

Shooting down suggestions is not fun... especially when you are the one holding the Barrett 50 Cal.

I am with Howling Wind on this one. A Mini Map would look fantastic... and it would be more helping than having to F2 While Spamming SPACEBAR and 11111222222333323333NNNNN332322bb11

-Skulduggery Pleasant

Nodding agreeably to this suggestion.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 18:16   
minimap would be nice
-it will be a useful and used tool
-it is not a waste of computer programing/space
-giving a new, effective tool makes it easier if you know how to use it. give a monkey a stone with a rock attached to the top and he will make a mess, give him the $10 hammer no difference. either tool won't allow him to make something useful, like that doghouse.
-F2 works well before combat and during small "mop-up" breaks, but not in heated combat
-Zooming out doesn't go out far in a scout

any other critical comments?

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-10-25 22:54   
I can only see the plus side to this.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-10-25 23:00   

TBH, it would be a nice addition. So far the only argument against it are the ppl who says it will make the game easier.

I already said it... it's a tool. If you don't know how to use it, it won't make much of a diff. The argument that this will dumb down the game is completely invalid.

But to be fair to the devs, it is also not a priority. While it would be a good addition to the game, they may have other pressing issues at hand.

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-26 05:49   
So far 20 supporters only 5 critics and 1 undecided. thanks for those of you who have provided support. A BIG thanks to those of you who have consistently coming back and supported the idea. If i were a developer i would see 20 people supporting the idea and decide the idea was worth looking into wouldn't you?

Thanks again,

Howlingwind.

Jbud to expand on what you said in chat it doesn't matter how long i have played im trying to improve the experience. You should try it sometime.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-26 12:55   
+1 to the idea

in response to mint ice cream (i preffer caramel), THe mini map, or mini radar is all but useless. Many tiem during a fight when i was concentrated on a certain enemy, and during the fight.or after i finished him, i noticed and wonders how the hell am i surrounded, 1 minute ago my friends where next to me.

It will greatly help players to see where there enemies are, and allies, and plan accordingly there move based on that. The green/red dot system is just perfect for that
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-10-26 15:10   
The interface itself is basicaly a minimap. You can see all the contacts around you. Even more-so if you zoom out. I fail to see how this would make the game better when the same functionality is in the game currently.

Plus there's the case of where to put it - there's little space on the HUD we could place it.

I'm afraid this is most likely going to be a no. There are far more important things to be worked on before we get on to luxuries such as this.

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2010-10-26 15:21   
i dont post in the forums very often when i post about a specific topic its really important to me. SO +1 on this idea, as to where in the hud to place in , right in the middle on the bottom of the screen OR in the bottom right corner when NOT targeting a planet or specific ship........

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-26 15:59   
so, for using said, zoomed out for a minimap, i must sacrifice the ability to see where there projectils come from/goes. In case of small ships, where its heading (i cant see where the model is pointing zoomed out).

Don't get me wrong, i understand you dont have time when other important thing should be cared for first. Its just try to explain how it would be better, over the current system. maybe change Your mind Backlash

Ps: (OFF topic) Blackslash, don't forget to update MODDB please, i worked to make it happened, id hate to see it forgotten ¢¾

[ This Message was edited by: Zero28 on 2010-10-26 15:59 ]
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026443 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR