No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Mini map please.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author Mini map please.
Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-24 16:01   
Ok we have the navigation screen but it would be so much easier if there was a mini map in the top right corner so we can see where our enemies are relative to our position as little red blips on a map rather than constantly scrolling over arrows on the side. this way you can focus on your target whilst avoiding obstacles such as planets and other ships without needing to change your camera angle.

Just a thought. Much thanks from

Howlingwind. Blogger extrodinaire. pilot of scout craft.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-10-24 16:20   
You mean a screen like F2?

It's already in-game.

F2.

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-24 16:22   
Ahh another suggestion shot down before it's even given a chance. Soo DS like.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-10-24 16:26   
F2 brings up the nav map, which you need to open to point-jump people or jump long range anyway.

If a target is within tactical range, they show up on the outside edge of your monitor if not directly in front of you, or as little blocks you can click on and jump to if you so choose from there (doing so is dumb).

Not really sure what you think a minimap would achieve. If you cba to be aware enough of your surroundings to not smash into planets, then you should play a game you are capable of, namely Hello Kitty adventure.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-10-24 17:52   
situational awareness is for chumps

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-10-24 18:14   

He means a small radar overlay on the main screen.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-10-24 18:47   
Oh, he'd like to make the game as easy as possible. Understood, tyvm.

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-24 19:34   
My opinions on this are fairly neutral, but has there been a genuine reason given as to why it would necessarily be a bad idea?

I'm all for shooting down suggestions that aren't viable but going about it in such a harsh way probably discourages people with good ideas from putting them out there in the first place.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-24 19:42   
i Second Yimm
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-24 20:14   
Quote:

On 2010-10-24 19:34, YIIMM wrote:
My opinions on this are fairly neutral, but has there been a genuine reason given as to why it would necessarily be a bad idea?

I'm all for shooting down suggestions that aren't viable but going about it in such a harsh way probably discourages people with good ideas from putting them out there in the first place.

+1

Email *FTL*Soulless
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-10-24 21:34   
Quote:

On 2010-10-24 19:34, YIIMM wrote:

I agree. Adding a radar overlay would be a good idea.

Why?
Flight sims have them. A 23/24th century starship would have some sort of radar screen at the captain's fingertips wouldn't it?

This has nothing to do with skills. The argument of pilot aids reducing skill is overused sometimes, and in the wrong context. It becomes an easy way to dismiss ideas.

Sure... the game needing skills is good, and stuff that take away from that is bad. But having a radar overlay is not one of those. It does nothing more for the pilot than to give him a tool to see the tactical situation better. He still has to know what to do with that information.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2010-10-24 21:35 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-24 22:07   
small radar overlay OPTION +1. Thought of this for a long time. Suggested a time or two.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-25 00:47   
I constantly have to switch between f2 and normal to see who is where even when they're only 500 gu away.

It is hard to tell in normal view where your allies and your enemies are because the red and green diamond targets are always the same size. Not to mention when you get a swarm of AI and brightly lit space obscuring your view. It can be quite a pain at times.

Mini-map would help against having to switch between F2 and normal whilst in battle locally. Because while gawking at the navigation screen, you're giving some one a free shot at you if you're not cloaked/stealthed.

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 01:34   
a mini map would be nice but where would it go the bottom left screen already got a tact window and putting it in the upper right part would just be over looked and block the view of anything that direction.

Howlingwind
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-25 03:51   
Ok i understand f2 brings up a map. However you have to sacrifice control for it and in combat i have found to do so is almost suicidal. Particularly as a scout lover who relies on fast movement to dodge incoming fire rather than using his armour all the time.

Point number 2. Yes there are arrows that show targets within scanner range however scrolling over them in combat is difficult because they are contantly moveing and when missles are flying (i.e. near a planet) missles make arrows too. After scrolling you only know a rough position like their distance away in the direction of the arrow which swiftly becomes invisable amongst the many missles, fighters interceptors etc...

A mini map could show ships and planets within 2500 gu to a pretty much exact position allowing you to plot a course through sometimes very confusing battlefields without taking you camera off your goal. Isn't stratagy and tactics what this game is meant to be about? you will find most stratagy games have some kind of mini map as well as the standard nav screen.

Howlingwind out.

P.S. thanks for the support of those who would not let this idea be shot down without trial.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=50169&forum=36&start=0

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030136 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR