No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Lag issues
 Author Lag issues
Deth *CO2*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2010-10-02 01:14   
Ok i know this might sound old BUT....Out of battle i have 47-200 latency and as Soon as i enter a battle it jumps to 47k latency ive talked with my ISP and they said everything is fine with thier servers and i have a 12 megebit connection witch is(performance package with comcast) and im noy downloading so...does anyone have any tips on how to solve this cause it is making the game unplayabe ive tryed it with UDP off and on and it is still the same

~S~M~

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-02 01:32   
1.) What is your upload speed?

2.) System specks please... only need to know CPU, RAM, and Video we will start there. (also version on operating system and directX that you have installed)

3.) When did you notice this problem

4.) Does it always have high latency Every single time you are in combat

• Are you engaging with the enemy OR watching from a small distance OR both?
  • If the high latency is intermittent then does it always spike for the same reasons?...ie 4 missile dreads are shooting me and I have low latency....and.....I am going up against a missile dread and now I have elevated latency. Or does it seem to be only when planets or ships are firing and you are to close and no matter the numbers they effect latency the same.

-Chall

[ This Message was edited by: Challenger on 2010-10-02 03:19 ]

Email Challenger
Deth *CO2*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2010-10-02 01:44   
upload speed is 2.661 megabites petium 4 2.80 GHz Video 120 megabytes Microsoft Windows XP direct X 9.0

i noticed this after the last MAJOR update
and it always has high latency when ever i enter a battle

mainly engadgeing the enemy

and know matter how many ships are shooting me it always spikes i went station vrs station and it went BOOM chat lag fire lag but i have good fps i run bout 40 in battle so.... is this info any help?

EDIT:forgot ram lol 1 gig 2 gig virtual
1 gig=DDR2
[ This Message was edited by: Smurt_Alot on 2010-10-02 01:55 ]

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-02 03:14   
Moved to Support Forum.

-Challenger

Email Challenger
Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2010-10-02 03:49   
I see you have an older computer so just an FYI if you have not seen it:

DarkSpace requires the following minimum computer specifications to run normally:

CPU: 700 mHz Intel/AMD
Video: Second-Generation 3D Card (GeForce, Matrox G400, Graphics Blaster)
Audio: Direct Sound compatible sound card required.
Hard Drive: 150 MB
RAM: 512 MB
Internet Connection (56k modem or faster)
Direct Input-compatible Mouse.
DirectX 9.0c or higher

We recommend the following for best performance:

CPU: 1000+ mHz Intel/AMD
Video: 32MB Second-Generation 3D Card (GeForce, Matrox G400, Graphics Blaster)
Audio: Direct Sound compatible sound card required.
Hard Drive: 150 MB
RAM: 1024 MB
Internet Connection (ISDN, Cable, ADSL)
Direct Input-compatible Mouse.
DirectX 9.0c or higher

DarkSpace requires DirectX 9.0c or higher. All modern Windows machines require DirectX, but if you still need an update, click HERE

• If you do not have 9.0c I suggest getting it at the link provided up top.
  • After you install 9.0c update your video drivers. (If you already have 9.0c then try to update your video drivers now.
  • If that does not help start decreasing your graphics options on your Launch Tab click DarkSpace Setup and launch it and decrease settings OR you can change these options on the load up screen.

Keep in mind you are not the only one having latency/lag/dysnc issues. But since your video is borderline acceptable give those updates a try. When in doubt decrease your video settings.

Give all that a shot and let me know how you make out.

-Challenger

Email Challenger
Chasm
1st Rear Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-10-03 00:59   
Quote:

On 2010-10-02 01:14, ™DevHax™ wrote:
Ok i know this might sound old BUT....Out of battle i have 47-200 latency and as Soon as i enter a battle it jumps to 47k latency ive talked with my ISP and they said everything is fine with thier servers and i have a 12 megebit connection witch is(performance package with comcast) and im noy downloading so...does anyone have any tips on how to solve this cause it is making the game unplayabe ive tryed it with UDP off and on and it is still the same

~S~M~

same here eversince they merged the whole mv i kept lagging
latency was 183465+ lol

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-10-03 03:28   
This might be a long shot, but its worth checking never the less.
However, if If both your sound card and network are onboard devices (not PCI-slot based) then its not worth checking out.

On older machines I recall that IRQ sharing among other (high end) device didn't fair well on them and some times multiple device had to take turns in sharing a single IRQ what could result in odd problems like sound stutter, video lag or network lag.

I suggest looking up you mainboards manual and see what onboard devices are sharing their IRQ with what PCI slots.

If possible move a PCI device to an other PCI slot to free up IRQ to be used by one device only.

Hope this helps.

Blue Hawk
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-11 15:22   
Hows this Challenger...

2. CPU=AMD Athlon 64-3400+ 2.19ghz
RAM= 3gbs
VID= nVidia 9700gt
Windows XP/ SP 2 - Direct X 9c

3. Began after the patch never happened before.

4. It happens when ever there is combat, like ships spamming missiles and close quarter combat, its intermittent as it freezes and goes for a bit and freezes again. Also, what is weird is my latency stays at around 120 when all this happens...

Hope you can help me

PS. I disabled UDP graphics are lowest, and called my ISP they said it should run perfectly.

Also, I run games like WoW at full graphics and experience no lag.
[ This Message was edited by: CoMMy *GA* on 2011-01-11 15:28 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-11 15:56   
The client freezing action means that your client is going HEAVILY out of sync due to packets dropping. If the client completely desyncs, then the client will pause and wait for the server to send a complete update for it to carry on.

If this is happening a lot I would check to see the packet drop rate on your line to the server (tracert titan.darkspace.net).

Blue Hawk
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-01-11 16:23   
Packet Check
C:\Documents and Settings\Tejeda>ping -n 100 titan.darkspac

Pinging titan.palestar.com [216.240.152.146] with 32 bytes

Ping statistics for 216.240.152.146:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 88ms, Maximum = 107ms, Average = 90ms

See anything weird?
[ This Message was edited by: CoMMy *GA* on 2011-01-11 18:43 ]

Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2011-01-12 08:33   
CPU: Intel Pentium D 820
RAM: 2GB DDR2
Graphicard: Geforce 6600
DirectX 9.0c

The "lag" problems increased since 2 days.
Near planets, lag is extreme and also it seems to be a daytime-question: In the european late evenings lag is worse, to me. (all graphic settings on lowest).

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-12 08:53   
Just to stop this notion that it's only been happening for two days, we haven't remotely touched any part of the game that deals with the networking layer.

The last patch only added new abilities to the rendering engine and lowered prestige gain for doing damage to shields and armour - that's it.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-01-12 11:04   
I have some suggestions which might help...

Can game chat be routed through GCQL? It could eliminate chat lag.
Can data replication be slowed down further? The previous decrease wasn't enough.
Can planetary structure models be removed? No one really notices them, and they hog up bandwidth.
Can two game modes be developed in future (say DS 1.56*), one for graphics and all bling-bling, and another for sheer performance?(Think 500+ FPS lol)

Can we have these features removed from data replication??-

Projectile position replication - Missile dreads and planetary missile fire is the main source of lag for many. Fighting 2 ADs at once brings my lag to 1.5 seconds, simply approaching a planet (which is shooting at a random AI) boosts it to 20 seconds and above.

Mining beam's resource gathering replication - Not widely known, but mining a planet which has small level of combat nearby and meagre defense systems can get gradually get lag to well over 15 seconds.

Finally, Can I get a bag of popcorn for saying all this?:D

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-01-12 20:32   
Quote:

On 2011-01-12 11:04, Boomshot wrote:
Can game chat be routed through GCQL? It could eliminate chat lag.
It does, sort of. All chat goes through the meta server, GCQL and game included (don't mistake server for verse).

Can data replication be slowed down further? The previous decrease wasn't enough.
It's once every 30 seconds, anymore and it becomes useless.

Can planetary structure models be removed? No one really notices them, and they hog up bandwidth.
Structure models, or any graphical representation of something in-game. does not effect latency in any way, shape or form.

Can two game modes be developed in future (say DS 1.56*), one for graphics and all bling-bling, and another for sheer performance?(Think 500+ FPS lol)
No. Plus there's the fact that DarkSpace still uses the same old code it did if you disable HDR and Shaders. All the recent graphical changes to the game have been done via Shaders, and all they do is augment the scene graphically (check the /shaders folder in your DarkSpace directory).

Can we have these features removed from data replication?
The rendering engine has nothing to do with data replication. The rendering engine and the network layer do not talk to each other. Just because you see a model of a ship, does not mean that model is being replicated down to your client (that would be absurd!). All we're doing is sending status updates of data that is relevent to you, to your client.

Projectile position replication - Missile dreads and planetary missile fire is the main source of lag for many. Fighting 2 ADs at once brings my lag to 1.5 seconds, simply approaching a planet (which is shooting at a random AI) boosts it to 20 seconds and above.
You are mistaking client lag for CPU load on the server - we're doing all we can. beside making missiles roll-based. to lower the load on the server. However, we are (at some point) going to start implimenting a new planetary system, which will include some performance benefits to the server (no more pesky tracking of defence bases and it's many sub-systems).

Mining beam's resource gathering replication - Not widely known, but mining a planet which has small level of combat nearby and meagre defense systems can get gradually get lag to well over 15 seconds.
Nothing to do with mining, it's just general load on the server increasing.

Finally, Can I get a bag of popcorn for saying all this?:D
Knock yourself out.

I should also mention that Faustus has an inkling that one or two players might be causing the server to delay sending replication of data due to latency on their end. Most game's simply disconnect a player if this happens, although we allow players with extreme latency to play due to the fact that we don't have the capability to host high-end gaming servers all over the world.

In the end, Faustus might simply have to start disconnecting players who excede a maximum latency (World of Warctaft has a max avg. latency of 1,000 for example, whereas Counter Strike had one of 750) so that the replication system works properly. A player who has a latency of 1000ms+ all the time is never really going to be in sync.

Locking this topic now because it's epic old.

- Jack
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2011-01-12 20:33 ]

Page created in 0.027059 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR