No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » How to capture a ship?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author How to capture a ship?
Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-09-04 03:24   
Magnets, how do they work?

Okay, I'm very curious how the correct way to capture a space for the bronze privateer badge after getting ever so closer to Grand Admiral with a total of 0 ship captures glaring at me.

I've been hearing lots of conflicting ways such as some saying you need to put your infantry on hold and others saying it doesn't matter. Not to mention how many infantry is needed to capture a particular type of ship.

Some recommend capping AI like the MI and pirates, but I've heard lately they cannot be captured due to the beam of death abuse.

I've even tried unloading two full loads of infantry from a transport onto an AFK player in a Missile Dread. Nothing.

Multiple times I've ask the question in game and very few people seem to really know.

So once and for all. What is the right way to go about capturing a ship?

Kangaroosteak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-09-04 03:56   
What I go by is trying to cap ships that have a high cargo holds and usually don't have any inf on board to defend against invaders.

Ships that are fairly easy to capture are engy ships, trannies with no inf onboard, extractors, and if you're lucky, stations. They all have high cargo holds which can carry plenty of your inf. Ships with low cargo holds tend to be harder to cap since their ship will hit the cargo limit and all extra inf will be destroyed. (I think)

A good place to farm caps are near mining planets (Trannies and extractors) or planets half-baked (Engies, trannies, extractors) in Scenario Mode. You can also capture platforms, but I havn't had any luck with them.

K'Luth seem to be the easiest faction to cap ships, simply uncloak, let the enemy alpha you once so that pd will be disabled, and drop the corresponding amount of inf accordining to their cargo hold. Dropping all your inf at once will risk your inf getting ganked by enemy splash damage, so try to drop inf one by one. Also try dropping inf in blocks of 5 or so, to increase your chance of cap.

For the other factions, fly at them at full speed and when your about 5-20gu past them, drop all of your inf (You'll only have one pass at them, so drop all of them at once) The lag compensation of the pods will end up landing right into their ship and not even give any signature for pd.

Also, you can use a station to hunt down pirate stations, when your armor ring is with theirs, drop all 12 inf, your arc will protect the inf from pd, hopefully, you'll get a cap and a free station.

Hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: Kangaroo Steak on 2010-09-04 04:02 ]

Goto the website of Kangaroosteak
justin94
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-09-04 09:00   
I have captured an ICC Support Platform, but it took a while. I kept trying with infantry on attack mode, untill someone told me to set them to hold. That worked, when I finally got the inf past point defense. that's about the only thing I've ever captured though. Since I put 30 inf on with attack mode and nothing happened, but 5 inf on hold worked, I'm convinced that you need to use hold mode.

jpcast

The_Enforcer (The Vindicator)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-09-04 10:05   
i see now, when their on attack, they just sabotage your equipment onboard, but hold caps the ship and ignores your systems

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-09-04 10:08   
From what I have seen the action of the infantry really doesn't matter. I have captured platforms with attack, defend, raze, and hold infantry. It just takes a while so be patient and drop more than one load on your target.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-09-04 10:08   
Bring a Transport filled with infantry, righteous hatred and defensive equipment. Approach AI, drop infantry and pray for the best.

Godspeed, cadet.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-09-04 12:27   
Doesn't matter if they're ATTACK or HOLD unless there's enemy infantry present. I don't think RAZE captures though, I think that makes them do just systems damage.

Just unload infantry, make sure they board, and sit back and cross your fingers. If it doesn't capture, go get more and repeat. It's all about luck. I once had to drop 110 infantry on a pirate station before it capped; that's 11 full transport runs. I've also capped player stations the first try. All luck.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-09-04 12:40   
Yeah, it's mostly random luck. I've seen people cap with just 1 veteran heavy inf dropped on them, and I've had experiences like MrSparkle with dropping endless troops on something and not having it cap.

Some people swear that elite troops give a much higher chance of capturing but I'll believe that when I see the data for it, I've dropped elites on AI ships and not had them cap.

Apehezt
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-09-10 07:38   
Someone told me i had to stay closer than 2000gu to cap a ship.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-09-10 07:41   
Quote:

On 2010-09-10 07:38, Apehezt wrote:

I believe I can safely say that this one is false.

Mint Ice Cream[+R]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-09-10 09:38   
there r 3 good ways to gain ship cap point:
the best(my opinion) is K'luth carrier vs planet transport(any race) : just grab 10 infs(best is vet inf), cloak then sit on the tranny, uncloak, drop all, cloak and go away, the cap chance is over 90%(unless devs make them uncapable...).
the second is K'luth carrier vs Engineer(in scen) : same tactic but instead of drop all, just drop 5 cloak then wait 4 mins to see if those infs work or not, if not, drop the rest then go away.
the third is k'luth tranny vs orbiting frigate(in scen) : same tactic as vs engineer but the chance of success is much lower(since frigate leave orbit asap after see u) but if 2 infs could make it onboard u got that frig.
[ This Message was edited by: Mint Ice Cream on 2010-09-10 09:41 ]

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-09-10 09:43   
Quote:

On 2010-09-10 07:41, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

Confirmed Falsehood, distance does not matter...
Quote:

On 2010-09-10 09:38, Mint Ice Cream wrote:
(best is vet inf)

WRONG! Train your infantry dood! Elite Infantry are the only way to go.. Your chances increase dramatically with Elites.

Here's my tips: Find Elite planets (Special planets where Elite infantry are produced naturally by consistant AI invasion) Grab some infantry in your COMBAT ship (transports are weak and will die quickly) Cause lots of damage to your enemy (50% ought to do it) drop your infantry and continue to damage your enemy. It isn't confirmed, but from what i found, a damaged ship is easier to capture. And not to show off, but I do have quite a few ship captures on my profile, so I must be doing something right.

My favorite privateer ground is Procyon.
[ This Message was edited by: Rorschach on 2010-09-10 09:49 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-09-10 09:50   
Except the only reliable way to train your own elite troops is through abuse of the system and abusing a certain bug, both of which are no-nos. Vets are the only way to go for most people because "naturally occuring" elite troops are not at all common.

Mint Ice Cream[+R]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-09-10 09:53   
Quote:

On 2010-09-10 09:43, Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-10 07:41, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

Confirmed Falsehood, distance does not matter...
Quote:

On 2010-09-10 09:38, Mint Ice Cream wrote:
(best is vet inf)

WRONG! Train your infantry dood! Elite Infantry are the only way to go.. Your chances increase dramatically with Elites.

Here's my tips: Find Elite planets (Special planets where Elite infantry are produced naturally by consistant AI invasion) Grab some infantry in your COMBAT ship (transports are weak and will die quickly) Cause lots of damage to your enemy (50% ought to do it) drop your infantry and continue to damage your enemy. It isn't confirmed, but from what i found, a damaged ship is easier to capture. And not to show off, but I do have quite a few ship captures on my profile, so I must be doing something right.

My favorite privateer ground is Procyon.
[ This Message was edited by: Rorschach on 2010-09-10 09:49 ]

i was talking about capturing low-class AI ship o.o wasting your elites on AI planet trannies,engineers,frigates o.o??way to go Rorschach...
Btw:where is the elites planet u talking about ._.??

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-09-10 10:13   
Who has more ship captures here Mr mint?

Those planets are trade secrets.

Quote:

On 2010-09-10 09:50, Talien wrote:
Except the only reliable way to train your own elite troops is through abuse of the system and abusing a certain bug, both of which are no-nos. Vets are the only way to go for most people because "naturally occuring" elite troops are not at all common.

Training troops is easy:

1) Find a planet, bomb all the infantry off the planet.
2) Set all your infantry to RAZE.
3) Drop your infantry and wait for capture.
4) Repeat until Elite.
[ This Message was edited by: Rorschach on 2010-09-10 10:16 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020665 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR