Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » A make shift build guide to darkspace.
 Author A make shift build guide to darkspace.
Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-29 20:25   
After putting it off and making smaller snippet 30 second vids of how to build planets I got pissed off today at how I built a planet to be brilliant as a depo planet only to return to it as a shoddy built shipyard....

The following link will lead you to a 180MB movie file that is a guide to building planets. If someone would be kind enough to put aside a few minutes of their time to download and watch this video and give me a honest review of it that would be great. It is just somthing I threw together in a very short period of time so don't be too harsh a critic.

The video is a wmv file that was rendered with 1400x900 in mind so those with smaller monitors than that might have an issue reading the occational bit of writing.

Notes:
- I am aware the colour of the writing is light blue and it pains me to say that I had to use it. It is the only colour that would show up (without too much real effort) on most backgrounds considering this is a game based in space. The whole black darkness and white lights is annoying for writing in white/black and alot of other colours.
- The music is just somthing I put on to help pass the time, it always helps to have music: "FC Kahuna - Hayling" is the song.
- Yes I can make it smaller in size but to be honest i'm in no rush.

Video:
1400x900
183mb
4 minutes and 57 seconds

Link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5UP7XG4W

Thanks
[ This Message was edited by: Okkam's Razor on 2010-08-29 20:26 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-29 20:56   
Brilliant. Moving to Tactics & New Players and stickying.

Mirrors for those who want them:
Stream (requires Silverlight from Microsoft).
Download (wmv format).
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-08-29 21:46 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-08-30 02:42   
Can't download the video right now, but how about typing out the build order or the final buildings on the planet? That way i can look at it without downloading the movie, say when im playing and need to check it.

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-30 05:07   
It is a guide not a manual.

It will tell people who are not aware of the finer art of building planets where to build on a planet, what planets are what, what to build on different planets and what to keep in mind when building/defending/leaving a planet alone.

If you want a specific guide to what structures do and how they do it aswell as a build order then I will consider creating such a video. That being said, most builders will do things slightly different to others and i'm not about to tell people how to play the game, only give them advice on the best ways to build planets to benefit their race.

There is always the Darkspace building planets manual (Chapter 8 ) for the bigger detail about planet building.

Making a video on how to build a planet from scratch with an accurate build queue and what goes where is actually harder than you think. This was just somthing thrown together to aid new players to understand what is expected from a builder and to help prevent silly planets. Like a depot+SY Barren planet without mining structures, with 4 barracks and all the power/research structures dotted around the equator.

Furher notes:
- I am aware 'Depo' should be 'Depot'

[ This Message was edited by: Okkam's Razor on 2010-08-30 05:14 ]

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:18   
It's pretty basic. It shows some planets and how they're set up and explains why they are set up in that way. There's no "here's how you must build!", but more of a view of already set-up planets.

It's helpful either way. Not the "dummy's guide to building", but informative enough that those who know the basics know what is expected of them.

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-30 11:15   
It is hard to summon up the enthusiasm to make a movie on literally how to build and it would take some doing. I will design a build Manual and see how I can put it into practice but no promises. I'd actually rather design introduction clips to each faction but to do this I need volunteers from many factions and patience of those volunteers.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-30 16:35   
There is incorrect information about planet's resource.

Btw, building def base on equator is not a good idea since planet would FF. A barren is also good to be a res gen planet. This video is for 1.541 and forward, right?

Good tips though. Nice video.

If you're gonna remaking, perhaps change the font colour.

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-09-01 08:45   
As mensioned, it is hard to find a decent font colour that actually is visable in most situations when dealing with videos in darkspace. That being said, yes I know it's a bad colour. ^^

The information about resources is the information I took from the manual because of everyone's want to ignore me when I was asking around for the actual information. I was asking for hours before someone, who shall remain un-named, threw a hissy fit and I got nowhere. The idea behind the resources is sound though.

Building around the equator isn't the best place, but one of the examples shows that you should build sligtly above the equator. Atleast building on the equator is better than building all your defences on one side out of the way or dotted randomly on the planet.

Page created in 0.016094 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR