No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Are their any future plans for changing ship mines?
 Author Are their any future plans for changing ship mines?
Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-28 03:32   

Currently I find mines some what useless.
They only work if you are able to drop them in the exact flight path/travel lanes of enemy ships. Doing so during combat requires a lot of skill and the odds of you defeating an opponents with mines are some what slim. K'luth have the best use for them right now, with their ability to cloak they can deploy them right on top of you. I hardly see UGTO/ICC use them.

I would very much like mines to become more useful.
Currently they have 50gu up to 60gu blast radius, I'm able to spot them near the edge of that blast radius and any active point defence will blow them up with little risk and causing little to no damage to myself.

I believe Mines would become a whole lot more useful if their blast radius was a lot bigger and if they detonate sooner. They don't need to do more damage or might need to do less damage, but with space being as big as it is, increasing the odds of setting off a mine would already be a big improvement.

Should mines have a much bigger blast radius, then by the time your can see them you will be with in the blast radius and any active point defense will set them off by destroying them, causing you to be caught in the blast area. This might force the player to turn of point defense, for it might be come more lethal with them actively blowing up mines then running in to a single mines self. This would make the scanner more of a requirement in taking out mines, outside their blast radius.

Should mines have a bigger blast radius, stacking mines in a single spot might be come to powerful. So mine might need spread out them self's before arming or the mine launcher should not release the next mine until at least 5~10gu way from the previous launched mine.

Arm time might need to increase and would be nice if mines that are not yet armed don't blow up when taken out by PD.

By increasing the blast radius, the don't necessary become more powerful versus a single ship, but they do becomes a whole lot more effective if multiple ships are caught in its blast radius.

Alienfreak
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-28 07:47   
Quote:
This might force the player to turn of point defense, for it might be come more lethal with them actively blowing up mines then running in to a single mines self.

This would make Mines too powerful for ICC. They would just spam mines and then MD spam all people that have their PD off.

Just make mines homing. So that they home in on nearby targets.
Plus I would increase the damage per mines. But to balance this make the minelaying more time intensive (less launchers, more cycle time). Plus not stackable. Otherwise Jumpgates would soon be minefields of death.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-08-28 10:51   
Quote:

On 2010-08-28 07:47, Alienfreak wrote:

Otherwise Jumpgates would soon be minefields of death.

thay allready are a few scarabs take care of that

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-28 10:56   
To be perfectly honest, mines got changed, and quite recently. They were A LOT worse than now. In-fact now they are useful in actually causing damage to an enemy. And since the change I have gotten killed at several mined gates.. You people really just need to use them right.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-28 10:58   
Quote:

On 2010-08-28 10:51, Grand Admiral CRAZY45 *XO* wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-28 07:47, Alienfreak wrote:

Otherwise Jumpgates would soon be minefields of death.

thay allready are a few scarabs take care of that

we dont really have any use for mines, theyr for defence but they cant cover enough area in the massive expanse that is space to effectively do that.
Gates are the only real place for mines atm coz they MUST come through.
however it may encourage others to fly WH's more often.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-28 11:14   
Quote:

On 2010-08-28 03:32, Wild Cat wrote:

They only work if you are able to drop them in the exact flight path/travel lanes of enemy ships. Doing so during combat requires a lot of skill and the odds of you defeating an opponents with mines are some what slim.

Uh... Mines are fine as they are. Don't need buffing. Cos if u do, ppl are gonna QQ abt how the Scarab is OP and r owning them.

Unless yr buffing excludes Kluth

Mines are not meant to defeat ships on their own. They are area denial weaps (u mine a ring ard a planet n wait for trannies to approach, or u mine the other side of the gate)... And they're used to finish off damaged enemies.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-28 13:32   
I'm more concerned with the balance of mining ships between the 3 factions. Kluth get a cruiser, and ICC and UGTO get what, destroyers and frigates? I don't know if mines are counted in the autoleveling but I assume they are which means Kluth mines are not only more dangerous because they're AM, but because they're cruiser level.

UGTO mines seem useless too. Always have really. In certain situations they're useful, but in those situations where they can do systems damage wouldn't you rather just do overall damage?

It would be interesting if each faction had a choice of mine types, like pure hull damage, pure systems damage, or a mix. It used to be that AM mines did pure hull damage, TN mines did hull + systems, EMP mines did pure systems. Factions also had a choice of mines at one point due to modding.

I do think all factions need 1 mine layer cruiser, and UGTO's EMP mines need a good re-thinking. I'm not opposed to the idea of UGTO mines becoming mini flux waves, with larger AOE when detonated than other mines but maybe less damage.

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-28 13:56   
Quote:

On 2010-08-28 11:14, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-28 03:32, Wild Cat wrote:

They only work if you are able to drop them in the exact flight path/travel lanes of enemy ships. Doing so during combat requires a lot of skill and the odds of you defeating an opponents with mines are some what slim.

Uh... Mines are fine as they are. Don't need buffing. Cos if u do, ppl are gonna QQ abt how the Scarab is OP and r owning them.

Unless yr buffing excludes Kluth

Mines are not meant to defeat ships on their own. They are area denial weaps (u mine a ring ard a planet n wait for trannies to approach, or u mine the other side of the gate)... And they're used to finish off damaged enemies.

no no no. im saying that we cant mine all around a planet, we cant deploy enough mines in a given aread for it to be effective.

We are the Falix Brothers...

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-29 02:28   
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=49254&forum=36&22

a new spqce hazard
you drop a "mine-object" and enemy ships take x damage while flying trhough it

additional effects:
- the bigger the ship the more damage it take ( stations aren t good dodgers)
- the faster you move ( percentage of max speed) the more damage you take

The_Enforcer (The Vindicator)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-29 17:36   
why not just make them like AR missles, only able to see them once they are in point-blank range but when they are being deployed, you can see them only for a brief moment, but allies can see them the whole time

Panduh
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-08-29 19:43   
Quote:

On 2010-08-29 17:36, The Enforcer wrote:
why not just make them like AR missles, only able to see them once they are in point-blank range but when they are being deployed, you can see them only for a brief moment, but allies can see them the whole time

I think you just described how a mine works, minus the "when they are being deployed you can see them only for a brief moment" part.

Not sure about that little bit.

The_Enforcer (The Vindicator)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-29 23:37   
well i dont use mines anymore so idk

Kaoschan
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-08-30 05:11   
Idea:

K'luth Mines: stay the same (small Splash, high Damage)

ICC Mines: should be changed to have the biggest Splash Area (medium damage, highest splash - like "defensive" mines work)

UGTO Mines: Should damage Sub-Systems even if Armor/Shield is still present and got the lowest splash area (like ugto EMP cannon but more powerful and penetrate armor/shields)

[ This Message was edited by: Kaoschan on 2010-08-30 05:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kaoschan on 2010-08-30 05:29 ]

K'luth Hunter - Recon ~Ping~ Scout - ECCM for the Team, to beat the K'luth!

Goto the website of Kaoschan
Page created in 0.035436 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR