No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Beacon change
 Author Beacon change
*Obsidian Shadow*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-17 16:11   
right i've been thinking that maybe becons could be altered so that instead of raising the signature maybe they should show where the ship is outright regardless of cloak

this would benefit all three factions due to being able to track down an escaping dread with ease by having the beacon send a signal to the rest of the fleet

(not awesomely thought of but still)

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-17 20:52   
Well i was just about to make a Beacon thread.
hope u dont mind adding my suggestion onto this.

SD'ing beacons

Because as much fun as flying a recon scout is, perhaps make the Beacon, when u hit Shift T make them explode... doing say 2% damage for dread hell. would make it intresting to see...be very bloody amusing to do, and may bring more intrest into flying recons...most likely vets who are bored.

i mean cmon, who doesnt want to stick a bomb onto a luth ship.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-08-17 21:24   
Quote:

On 2010-08-17 20:52, Marius Falix wrote:
Well i was just about to make a Beacon thread.
hope u dont mind adding my suggestion onto this.

SD'ing beacons

Because as much fun as flying a recon scout is, perhaps make the Beacon, when u hit Shift T make them explode... doing say 2% damage for dread hell. would make it intresting to see...be very bloody amusing to do, and may bring more intrest into flying recons...most likely vets who are bored.

i mean cmon, who doesnt want to stick a bomb onto a luth ship.

I thought excessive beacon spamming was not allowed, this would just make people do it more.

Would be funny to watch thou.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-17 21:25   
Quote:

On 2010-08-17 21:24, Beastkiller wrote:

I thought excessive beacon spamming was not allowed, this would just make people do it more.

Would be funny to watch thou.

i have a hard time understanding why this would be

and yes...yes it would xD

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-17 21:27   
Quote:

On 2010-08-17 16:11, obsidian shadow wrote:
right i've been thinking that maybe becons could be altered so that instead of raising the signature maybe they should show where the ship is outright regardless of cloak

this would benefit all three factions due to being able to track down an escaping dread with ease by having the beacon send a signal to the rest of the fleet

(not awesomely thought of but still)

also it would be good if it was on ur starmap, so u can check their location without easily taking them down in seconds. else luth would QQ and rage quit xD

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-18 07:16   
Quote:

On 2010-08-17 16:11, obsidian shadow wrote:
...they should show where the ship is outright regardless of cloak...

This is, in fact, how beacons worked at one point, if memory serves. I don't have any specific objections to the idea except that maybe the reveal time should be fairly short (and the entire cloaking system should be redone along with electronic warfare in general), but I suspect that everyone on team K'luth would cry "OMG! OP!" so it's not really the most fantastic of ideas right now. But yeah, it's not a stupid idea, just a nontrivial one to implement.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-08-18 14:51   
My thoughts on beacons:

Beacons are RIDICULOUSLY easy to shoot down with PD since they're slower than missiles and even worse at tracking, unless the Scout is right ontop of you when it launches. Of course, that's a very bad place for a Scout to be as they blow up very easily to beams. That and you only have to deal with ONE at a time unless there's multiple Recons. I don't see why having them reveal location on the minimap is such a bad thing since if you get hit by beacons it's pretty well your own fault.

I've seen several Kluth players complaining about beacon spam in MV when people get in Recons, someone will say "So turn PD on to shoot them down", and the reply is almost always something along the lines of "I don't want to waste energy on PD". Someone will suggest using a smaller ship to PD screen so the DNs don't need to "waste energy" and they say smaller ships die too easily and/or don't do enough damage so they don't want to fly them.

So basically beacons are annoying (even though there's a max of only 3 at a time on any one ship), but people don't want to use any of the countermeasures already available to deal with them? Why does this remind me of MF/Harrier and Sparrows?

And yes, I have been on the receiving end of beacons, I do play Kluth occasionally in scenario. I found setting even 1 or 2 beams to PD renders them almost completely ineffective, that and flying smaller ships. I decided to try out the new Shell yesterday (fun ship, I wish I could steal one of those and fly it in MV) and at one point had a couple AI Recons following me around launching beacons at me. You could even say they were spamming beacons since they seemed to launch them as soon as the cooldown was up, but the 2 disruptors were more than adequate to deal with them. Even with PD off I was able to avoid most of them simply by turning unless they were launched from under 300 GU.

Page created in 0.047085 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR