No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Temporarily Alliance Indicator (system)
 Author Temporarily Alliance Indicator (system)
Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-12 16:48   
Quite often I encounter that a temporarily alliance is forged between two forces to fight a common foe.

With no indication or knowledge of this temporally alliance, every one their first reaction would be to shoot at the enemy. This understandable first reaction can results a well forged alliance to shatter and break and cease to exist. I'm pretty sure every one has been yelled at for shooting at what you (and your targeting computer) thought to be to be an enemy.

I hope DarkSpace has room for an (Temporarily) Alliance system, that would allows an alliance to be formed and give a good indications of who is friend, ally and foe.

A good alliance indication would be if both factions would appear neutral to one an other. Instead of showing up as enemy (red) targets, they become neutral (yellow) targets. Target nearest enemy should no longer target them, nor should target nearest friendly target them.

-An temporarily alliance should be limited to, a single star system.
-For a limited period of time (15~30min)
-Cool down before a new alliance can be formed (1~2hours)
-Allied (friendly) fire hitting allied ships should register as friendly fire (prestige lose)
-Would more then "x" casualties be caused by (friendly) fire from an allied force the alliance will cease and be broken.
-Planetary defenses and AI ships should not be able to attack allied forces
-Depots/supply platforms/supply ships should be able to reload/repair allied ships.
-Infantry can't be taken from or dropped on allied planets
-Allies don't share radar map contact updates

I've a pretty good idea , on how I'd like an alliance system to work, but I'm not real sure on how they should be formed.

A special command or button might be a bit to simple, but if it works it works.

I was thinking more alone the diplomatic route
A diplomatic platform needs to be build that then can be used to initiate an invite to the faction you wish to form an alliance with.

The Diplomatic Platform will become visible to the invited faction and a message to the faction alone will be visible in chat.

It will acts as a rally point and should require a number of ships from both factions to be present with in a certain range (or in orbit) before an alliance can be initiated. A certain amount of time will need to pass before the alliance is forged and becomes active.

Would be cool if the enemy (who didn't get the invite) will also receive word of a diplomatic platform that has been build.
They receive a messages like "A diplomatic code has been picked up in the Luyten solar system. As time passes the messages become more and more accurate, hinting near a planet/moon. leading the enemy to interrupt the diplomatic negotiations. Trying to blow up the platform.

The question how ever is,
Would DarkSpace benefit from an Alliance system to indicate, or would it upset and disrupt the balance between factions?

[ This Message was edited by: Wild Cat on 2010-08-12 16:50 ]
[ This Message was edited by: Wild Cat on 2010-08-12 16:51 ]

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-08-12 17:48   
To complex to warrent the time it would take to implement, and its not really needed, Its red its dead.

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Light-of-Aurora
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-12 22:00   
It's interesting, but I don't like the idea of being penalized for fighting what should be the enemy (players of different factions.) If someone doesn't agree with the alliance they would be forced into it.

Email Light-of-Aurora
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-13 04:20   
The official stance is that, yes, two factions can team up to attack another faction.

However, it's also been traditional that you should always be able to shoot at ships on other factions without penalty, i.e. "if it's red, it's dead". If you want to form an alliance it relies on teamwork to ensure that the allied parties don't start shooting at each other, so good communication is key.

A much simpler way of doing this which allows people to still shoot at people if they don't like the idea of an alliance would be to have an interface widget that tells other people "this ship would like to be allied with you", possibly with a tag on your name or in the targeting box. A purely cosmetic thing that means you don't have to make sure to tell people who have just logged in that you're allied with someone whilst allowing people to happily ignore it, too.

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-13 07:59   
Quote:

On 2010-08-12 22:00, Light-of-Aurora wrote:
It's interesting, but I don't like the idea of being penalized for fighting what should be the enemy (players of different factions.) If someone doesn't agree with the alliance they would be forced into it.

i was thinking, make it fleet based?

We are the Falix Brothers...

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-13 12:02   
Quote:

On 2010-08-12 17:48, Grand Admiral CRAZY45 *XO* wrote:
Its red its dead.

I used to think that way to, but it some what false. Alliances are formed every now then, despited that the show up as hostile targets, they may not alway be that hostile.

Quote:

On 2010-08-13 04:20, Gejaheline wrote:
However, it's also been traditional that you should always be able to shoot at ships on other factions without penalty, i.e. "if it's red, it's dead". If you want to form an alliance it relies on teamwork to ensure that the allied parties don't start shooting at each other, so good communication is key.

I agree that Good communication is key, but despite good communication you can't prevent people who just joined or missed out on this "key information" about an alliance to open fire upon what he believes to be the enemy.

Quote:

On 2010-08-13 04:20, Gejaheline wrote:
A much simpler way of doing this which allows people to still shoot at people if they don't like the idea of an alliance would be to have an interface widget that tells other people "this ship would like to be allied with you", possibly with a tag on your name or in the targeting box. A purely cosmetic thing that means you don't have to make sure to tell people who have just logged in that you're allied with someone whilst allowing people to happily ignore it, too.

Crude and simple, I was thinking a bit more complex and let myself go a bit writing this post. Any thing works for me, as long as we have a clear indication "that" an alliance has been formed to prevent accidental (friendly) fire from happening.

But, with player being able to reject to the alliance, I do fear it will result in heated debates and arguments in chat and forums. It would not be the first time, that I've been attacked by my own faction because, I attacked every thing that was red and didn't bother reading the chat.
[ This Message was edited by: Wild Cat on 2010-08-13 12:07 ]

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-13 12:07   
Quote:

On 2010-08-13 12:02, Wild Cat wrote:
Crude and simple...

I prefer the term "elegant."

Quote:

It would not be the first time, that I've been attacked by my own faction because, I attacked every thing that was red and didn't bother reading the chat.

If your own team are shooting at you intentionally, that's strictly against the RoC and you should /report the incident, listing location, situation, and whom it is that's shooting at you.

Page created in 0.012234 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR