No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » ICC-shield changes (battery)
 Author ICC-shield changes (battery)
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 05:10   
just had this idea:

what about a "shield-battery" ?

scenario: your ship have 0 shields, and 0 shield-battery
-> your ship recharge the shields first, if all shields are at 100% it recharges the battery

some time later some mean luth-player decloak at your back, and burn your rear-shields to 0%
usually you mash np2 to protect this side, but loosing shield-strength on the remaining sides but because of the battery, the aft-shields could ge refilled without damaging the other ones (at least till your battery is empty)

---

- you have a extra ui-object for your shield-battery
- shields get refilled by your ship first, then the battery
- battery recharge much slower than active shields
- shields could be refilled with battery (but not automatic)
- when battery is empty, refilling shields is like today, draining other shields
- battery strength should be leveled, so bigger ships have a bigger supply to drain from
- energy cant be transfered to the battery (and therefore skipping the slow-battery-recharge)

it would give the icc a much better defense, so maybe the shield-strength have to be adjusted
[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2010-08-03 05:11 ]

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-03 05:22   
This is very similar to a suggestion I made for shields around about here.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 06:02   
just read your post... it is similar, but there are some different aspects:

you want a storage to keep shields at a high level while it have capacity, crippling the ships combat ability, when its depleted
and shields take their energy directly from the capacitor
(at least, thats what i read from the op)

i want a storage, which get refilled, when the shields are full, and can serve as a backup-battery which the user can use to refill his shields

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 14:31   
if this was implemented, there would have to be major balance tweaks

now an ad can stay fore for a long time without sacraficing other shields, and after the battery is gone it will use the other shields

so if it was implemented, like you said they would have to tweak/change some values

Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 19:04   
If you are going to have to tweak it to keep it at its current strength then i dont really see the point in doing it at all, Just keep it the same instead of making it more complicated. IF you do plan on making it more powerful (the shields) than something would need to be done for the other factins to balance it out... such as little nano bot pods that ugto have that restore a small amount of armor or something like ... i.e. when your armor is low you can use these nanobot pods to restore some of it say.. 15% or something. And the kluth would need something too to allow them to be able to defeat the shields... idk.. just thinking aloud, but making the shields even more powerful than they already are, which is very much so, seems like it may lead to some balance issues. it also seems to me that this is just an atempt of the icc grabbing at straws so they wont have to manage their energy supply -_-... There is a downside to everything.. shields suck energy thats just how it is you shouldnt allow a way to work around that other than playing smarter in my opinion
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-08-04 03:10   
Isn't this 'shield battery' very much the same as the current auxilliary shield generator?

Your battery gives full-mount protection, regardless of its own mounting zone.
The ASG gives protection on the mount it is located on.

Your battery takes power after shields are full.
The ASG takes power simultaneously with shields.

Your battery drains shield strength from other mounts once empty.
The ASG does not drain strength of other shields, and instead requires you to mash NP2 to avoid being hulled by the krill nearby.

See where i'm going? Your battery removes the need to manually rotate shield strength, and thats it. Simply requesting for all shield generators to provide defense on the arc under attack would probably give results similar to this, barring your suggested feature of automatic redirection of shield strength to the said arc.

(Edit:tested the ASG characteristics, sorry for making untrue claims)
[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Michael Paradox on 2010-08-04 07:54 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-04 08:19   
Not liking this idea.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-04 11:06   
I agree with Michael - it seems like this is already mostly met by the Aux Shield Gen.

What am I missing?

Email Shigernafy
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-08-04 14:50   
The battery idea just sounds too complicated to implement, but since aux shield generators were brought up.....

Aux shields are horrid in their current state, there is no reason I can think of to use them over an aux reactor. They aren't as strong as a normal shield arc (or so I hear from people who used to use them frequently, I haven't really used them much myself aside from seeing what the power loss was like), they eat power (this is bad), they only cover ONE arc, and you don't even get to choose which arc it covers. If they were full arc or at the very least assignable to an arc then it wouldn't be so bad.

My suggestion would be to change the current aux shields to something that gives, say, a 25% boost to shield regen rate. Yeah, 25%, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it to use since you're giving up an aux power generator for it.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-06 04:52   
or change aux-shields to NP5 and cover all arcs

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-08-06 06:03   
I swap my aux shields to reactors anyway...

aux shields seem useless with how little protection they provide when active, and how little shield power they provide when buffering.

and by buffering I mean offline at 100%

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-08 00:58   
Quote:

On 2010-08-03 14:31, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
if this was implemented, there would have to be major balance tweaks

now an ad can stay fore for a long time without sacraficing other shields, and after the battery is gone it will use the other shields

so if it was implemented, like you said they would have to tweak/change some values

make it fit in fusion reactor slots.

Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-09 20:16   
Quote:

On 2010-08-06 06:03, JBud wrote:
I swap my aux shields to reactors anyway...

aux shields seem useless with how little protection they provide when active, and how little shield power they provide when buffering.

and by buffering I mean offline at 100%

same, it may actually be used if when shield cycling it took it primarily from the aux.

We are the Falix Brothers...

Page created in 0.028375 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR